Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Patio Mosaic WIP

texaswild
14 years ago

Spent all day, practically, cutting out the design in backerboard. They're temporarily attached cuz I've been changing my mind a dozen times on the design. W/take one at a time down to mosaic, grout then permanently attach them. Haven't a clue on how/what kind of mosaic to apply to them.

Just the beginning

Comments (37)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It just came to me. Thanks, DAISEY, for saying "There must be a circus going on in your head." Circus tent!!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Slow I just love your new project. Can't wait to see this one finished. There are so many new ideas floating around here, it makes my head swim. I want to do them all.

Kat

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Oh cool Slow!! so is that concrete backboard you cut out?? What did you use to cut it?? How do you get all of these ideas?? Fascinating So ya going to mosaic banners on those, like a circus?? That would be great!! Maybe each banner advertising a different part of your queendom??

can't wait to see what you decide and your progress. You GO SLOW!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mornin' y'all. Yes, Hardiebacker. There's a scoring tool - bought it at Lowes - that scores the board so much better than the box knife I was using in the past. Just going to do five colors on these panels, starting today w/the center one in pink tiles, keeping this simple as possible.

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

That is going to look AWESOME!! What a perfect little spot that is, I can hear the trickle of the fountain, smell the flowers, give me a comfy chair and I'll never leave!

• klinger
    14 years ago

Wow, I love that idea of the hanging panels. This is going to looks so great Slow. I can't wait to see them with the color added. Are you hanging them from hooks
    Cindy

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips Slow. I'm excited. Whacha think about keeping doing what you are until you have totally mosaiced your whole house and yard, like one of those Isaiah Zagar Magic Garden's like Lori post??

I can so see it!!! Can't wait to see how you do these banners!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I knew you would think of something....love your idea, but I will stick with my post covers, mainly because I have 18 of them done and waiting for grout. I think this will be beautiful

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Really pushed myself to get these all glued today. Tried to keep it simple - not my cup of tea, hence the "mirror trim" on the flaps. Just couldn't make myself go all one color. Going for the look of a circus tent topper. Of course, as I sat outside last evening I was thinking the rest of the front w/look bare w/o putting some scallops across, even though I have hanging things. Guess I'll be cutting some scallop shapes next week. Hope to grout tomorrow, but doubt I have the strength to hang and screw them in, so Juan w/have another job next week. SQUIRRELLY - that is my favorite spot in my whole Queendom - morning coffee, breakfast, lunch, afternoon rest breaks and, of course, margarita time. KLINGER - using screws for the backerboard, and w/apply silicon too. MER: Don't I wish I could live long enough to mosaic the whole house/garden. I LOVE Zagar's garden and also Luna Parc. Just didn't get started in time to accomplish it all. Thanks, y'all for the compliments and encouragement.
    Panels Glued

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Wow Slow this is way cool!!!!!! I love it...you go girl

• klinger
    14 years ago

Slow, WOW, those look so good. I can't believe you got all that glued in a day, jeepers you lil heifer you. I just love the colors you've chosen and this is gonna look so great when it's up.It'll make your haven that much better,
    cindy

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Slow I love it. Yes it would be hard to put these up and not do the rest. They will look great once you get them in place. What is the scoring tool called you said was better than a utility knife? Utility knives on hardi is like using a butter knife.

Kat

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'morning y'all. Thanks - yeah - it was tough to get the last couple done, but I was determined. Using the hammer instead of nippers on those surplus tiles made it faster, and I like the look of broken tiles anyway. Green and yellow panels are w/glass from that Tile Shack sale. Noticed Lowes is carrying the one-inch glass tiles now on special order. KAT - don't know the name of the tool - it's in the flooring section near the Hardiebacker. It scores a wider line, and doesn't take so many passes to break the board.

• ans_garden
    14 years ago

How did you get these done so fast!?! This is so creative, I just love it.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Won't be worth a dang the rest of the day. It was tough hanging these suckers. Excuse the poor picture - it's raining, and the patio is dark today. Phew!!!!!!!! Think I'll have a beer - it's five o'clock somewhere. Need to put a spot of black paint on those screw heads - NOT TODAY.
    This project finished

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ANS - forgot to answer your question. I got up earlier than usual yesterday morn., and stayed w/it all day, finishing about 5ish. I don't strive for perfection, so I slap them on pretty quickly once the tess is at hand.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Oh, I love Circus Tent! And you made me laugh too! I can't believe that you wrote a note about 5 days ago saying you weren't working on a project and you must have waved a magic wand, 'cause here's a grand one! It's a lot of fun, and a great addition to your patio!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, DAISEY - w/me things have a way of happening. I get a lot of inspiration when I'm sitting out there, and this one hit me immediately after the painting was done. You had a hand in the "circus tent", doncha know? Didja read my second posting - when I said I didn't know how to mosaic it, but that phrase came to me, and BAM! I have the section on the left cut out and ready to begin mosaicing the pieces tomorrow. I said I wouldn't be worth much after putting them up, but my second wind hit me. Just finished cutting them out and up - each piece had to be fitted - nothing's perfect, but like I told Gypsy - this isn't the Taj Mahal.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

You did so good !!!!Those are so great !!!!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Sheesh, i thought i had responded to the latest version. Any how I LOVE it, it's so perfect for the Queendom. I can so see you out on your patio, surrounded by the things you love, enjoying the weather, sipping a margarita and your mind swimming with all of the ideas you have running around in your mind. You go Slow

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Oh, I did read that, Slow. I always follow your posts. Very fun.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. MER - you wouldn't BELIEVE what ran through my mind during last night's chilly margarita w/candlelight around. I got a mental picture of taking all the bizzzzzzyness away from the fountain - those block pedestals and pots/plants, and simplifying it all by making the wire mesh/concrete wall on each side. In this wall and on top w/be little pockets and platforms for perenial ferns (to quit trying to have blooming plants in the shade) and little shelves for candles. That's my next project I'm thinking. Sometimes I wish I could turn this thinking off and get some sleep. Been awake for hrs.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

too fabulous! you are the ring master! lol

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Beautiful Slow, just beautiful...I'll have a beer with ya!!! wonderful job and great idea!! I'm still on the bathroom floor. I've taken up permanent residence...Redoing the cabinet....the darker wood sure looks better..I'm hoping to be done tomorrow...Real tired of the floor...good thing theres a 2nd bathroom!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all - NT - or maybe the clown. I hear you, CATHY. Working down like that is getting more and more painful for me, and here I'm thinking of building a couple small walls to be concreted and mosaiced!!!!!!!!! I KNEW you'd like the dark wood better.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Slow these are absolutely gorgeous. I love them.

Kat

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, KAT - I'm outside w/a little drinky-pooh, planning tomorrow's grouting of the second section, going to Lowes for more Hardiebacker and cutting the third and last section. Also gonna buy the wire lathe and rebar for the wall!!!!!!!!!!! Am I CRAZY or what?!

• shrty411
    14 years ago

wow, those look wonderful Slow!!

• sereneseen
    14 years ago

Slow, your panels are fantastic. I love all the wonderful visions/ideas that come out of your brain. I am also amazed at how fast you get a project done!

Thanks for sharing your work and tips.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Those look fabulous! What a neat idea. I just love it when you get busy.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And I love to get up in the morning to messages like these - they make me smile.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh SLOW!!! I'm gone for a while and LOOK at what You've done!!! I LOVE It ALL!!! Especially the mirror adds so much to Everything outside!!!! YES!!! I have a vision of the "Wall Fountain" at the Hacienda Mosaico now....from what you are saying your next project is!!! Something big to draw the eye!!! I've been busy redoing my ENTIRE 1/2 acre...but it's all gonna be around the Garden Art I create... so it's gotta be done!!!lol!

• klinger
    14 years ago

Slow, wow, your mind get's really busy. I love your idea for that space.I don't know how you sleep at night with a fabulous project like that in front of you, I'd be so excited with that vision in my head. A total new look and it'll be fabulous,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, CALAM - 'bout time you show up over here. Got your email, and your pictures WOWed me. You're REALLY working. Yep - that wall at the Hacienda - I LOVE it. Of course, I'm not able to re-create it on a big scale, but... KLINGER - I DO have trouble sleeping - mind always thinking of this stuff. Here's the second section. The middle panel almost got me - waaaay too heavy, but I can't wait for handymen when I'm in a hurry. Off to Lowes now for more supplies.
    Second section

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! What Bling!!!!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Oh Slow.. wonderful!! Your vision is so perfect, i never noticed your blue post and tangerine railing before. I LOVE that, it's just right with your new circus tent.

I keep getting lost in your album again. You go girl, let no one Slow you down...

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MER: The blue/tangerine just happened last week. It was a JOB, and so was putting these panels up. Glad they're finished. The fountain surround w/be next - my handyman is coming for consultations tonight. The old window w/either come down or be painted lime green.
    Finished

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner