Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Castle

Calamity_J
13 years ago

4hrs and a good deal of castle building done!I'm on fire with inspiration with this, but trying to keep it simple so I can get it done...as I have soooo many other projects to do! IE:mosaic 28 sq ft of pond wall!!!lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:142744}}

Comments (48)

• texaswild
    13 years ago

I LOVE this - much better than the Uncle's. I'm so excited to see this and so anxious to watch its progress. Girl, you're fast. Have you decided what you'll use on it - rocks or shards of slate? CALAM - this is REALLY a unique project. Looks larger than 18".

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Slow! This will be 4ft tall once I add the final roof, it is 18" in diameter. I will be cementing it and then mosaicing with broken slate...so it will tie in with the look of the pond. I have amber glass for the windows and a string of Christmas lights(outdoor) to go up inside it. Was thinking of solar lights but using what I have...also just checked and have some copper sheeting to do the roofs with!!! Yowza!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Yowza indeed. It's gonna be stunning, and oh so original. Love everything about it already. I can just picture how wonderful this w/be.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

you guys sure did benefit from those classes in Mexico!..
    really putting it to good use and making the very most of the fee for all of it.

it looks so smooth, too...super!

• amerique2
    13 years ago

Wow, CALAM!!! Is that hardibacker board or concrete board I see?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hardibacker...I first used(bottom tower)cement board but it is crumbly after cutting, so switched to the hardibacker..wonderful stuff!! Okay..I am Very B.A.D.!!! Do Not Tell DH what I am about to tell you....NEVER let me cement in the house!!!! They don't call me Calamity for nuthin'!! The floor, shoes,clothes up to my elbows, cement flying everywhere!!! THEN I dumped a bucket of water!!! Sheesh! It was raining outside!!! At least it got me to clean up my Art room!!!lol! Here is the Castle cemented...sitting outside so I could clean up...notice the sad looking pondWIP in the background...and don't notice the weeds...or the sunshine.....lol!I hope all this hard work pays off...I was having trouble with the kind of crete I had...it said to add lime and I didn't have any...so I added mortar instead...fingers crossed...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:142745}}

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

You have made me breathless and almost speechless. Way to go gal. You have made a lot of progress for one day. I love it and it will be a real work of art when you are thru with it. You make me look like I don't do nuttin'. Keep up the good work.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Oh my. Its already looking magical!
    Incredible.
    Kathy

• recycler4art
    13 years ago

AMAZING!!!!! I am inspired... when I return from my visit with the kids down south, I am going to do something spectacular.... IDK what yet, but something by georgie!!!!!! And as for not telling on u about the cement fisaco?? I was in a hurry the other day & rinsed my tools in the kitchen sink after grouting.... OY!!!! worth kicking myself, luckily, no problems yet!!!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Oh, CALAM - you work so fast. Better be careful breathing that concrete dust inside the house. Looking wonderful, and it makes me want to make something else w/the Riana method.

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Wowzer Jane you are such a busy little bee!!!!It's gonna be fabulous!!!1

• texaswild
    13 years ago

CALAM: I'm wondering why you put the hardibacker inside? Anxious to see an update on this.

• klinger
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful Jane, keep going and share more pics. Don't know what kind of mix you have that needed lime though.
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I put hardibacker inside/across..as the base for the towers hangingoff the sides...and they are super supported as the hardibacker is attachedall the way thru the structure(all the way across and thru/out the other side)PLUS it will help inside as it will serve to hold the string of lights I want to use inside(kinda looks like floors inside!lol) I coulda built the whole thing with just the mesh, but this was faster...just cutting a hole in the main pc and threading thru the backerboard.
    So the thing is dry, and I have decided to do it with black pebbles around the windows(use amber glass) and a dark brown slate for the rest, with...of course...black grout!! As there is a pond and arbor over the pond...and a beautifull lush bog garden(Ihope) on either side of this...I decided to keep it toned down in color so as not to take away from the rest of the stuff going on...but it will have bling from the copper roofs and when it lights up at night!!! ZOWEEE!!!!heh heh!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

You l'il heifer - you sure know how to tease us - also you know how to inspire. You got me thinking. Am all finished spring planting, so mosaics w/follow as soon as I recover from the patio dinner party I'm giving Sat. night.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a pic of how it's looking lit up...
    It's been raining hard here and today it hailed!!! So hauled this back inside and am gonna start the slate next...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:142746}}

• texaswild
    13 years ago

And THIS makes me say huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrry! I can't wait to see this - move faster.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I am definately getting back to normal...last night I woke up at 2 am...sheesh...and instantly started to think about the castle...oh ya, am figuring out the turrets/roofs, I get stuck on things like this and have to wait till "it" comes to me...well it did in spades!!! I have an idea......oh ya, it's amazing...even if I do say so myself! Just need to find that copper tubing I have stashed around here....

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slow going on this, seem to always get pulled away..been planting/buying more plants

front of castle

back of castle

scrounged copper

• texaswild
    13 years ago

CALAMITY JANE!!!!!!!! That is such a wonderful project. I LOVE it. How didja make the little double doors? Are you going to make a mote and draw bridge? I love this project so much. You beat all, with your inspiration, ideas and execution. I'm soooooo watching this project.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AARRGG! I grouted with black..Y.U.K.!!! Gotta go over it now...gonna do grey, and maybe give it a green wash....oh, and the copper tubing is done...ohhh ahhh....I have to get this grouted so I can do the roofs, can't do em till the exact diameter is there...so pushing forward now...you can see in this pic that the black is really washing out the black stones...good thing I only did a bit with the black...and these swirly things(copper) will go on the roofs.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

yeah, the mote and draw bridge were my questions and for the life of me, I don't know what happened to that post..
    I commented that with all that copper tubing, some may wonder if you had a still for sour mash or a meth lab in your yard hidden..maybe it got deleted by higher'up's or maybe I didn't push the 'submit' key...don't know..anyway, I wondered if you had the draw bridge, if you'd have a couple alligators in there someplace..

I know I saw it but again, may not have submitted it..
    the castle is amazing and would make me want to get ahold of one of those cookies in Alice in Wonderland, that says to eat the cookie and then she shrinks..
    what fun, to be able to play all day in that castle.
    but then again..one would need a dozen of the cookies for friends to have a few bites....

• texaswild
    13 years ago

STRAWBERRY: You make me laugh. You sure you haven't been eating those cookies already? I'm loving this project. Can you move faster, CALAM?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, I have FINALLY given up on the weather and hauled this puppy back into the house and put it on a tarp and grouted with pearl gray!!! L.O.V.E. it!!! Am happy with it now as it shows off the pebbles and the stained glass pcs I used to invent a door/with copper and ballchain handles...now I have the full width measurements to start the roofs!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:144248}}

• texaswild
    13 years ago

OHMYGOSH, CALAM: I absolutely L.O.V.E. it. Looks like a real castle. You are so danged good at this. I also like Pearl Gray, and use it to show all the darks. This is a project I'm so anxious to see finished.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

OMG!! That is so cool!!! loving it!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am Very tempted to color wash the grout a nice green, as the cross would be hilighted that way...and so would the green in the slate...and also when the copper roofs start to patina, it would look good. Here are the roofs with their coat of mortar. I have been playing in my Art Room all day and it feels GREAT! Also painted a nice cement planter this guy was throwing away...painted and planted and he won't recognize it!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:144249}}

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG!!! I can't stop!!! I washed the grout green and love it! Then I wanted to see it lit up...so had to put the roofs on to stop the lights from being seen...Whatda ya think?!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I figure I'll have 20 hrs give or take, when done...to this point it's been about 16hrs in total. The copper roofs are gonna make it OVER THE TOP!!!!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

You asked "whatda ya think". I think I gotta have one too. When are you coming to visit and help me build it? Absolutely wonderful, CALAM. Oh, you love to tease. Think we'll see the roofs tonight?

• katishooked
    13 years ago

Calamity, This is so wonderful. What a talent for this you have. Sorry haven't been around much, but still look. Love it.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

It is looking good .I like that green.I love to make one also but I just have to much going on right now .

• fldirt
    13 years ago

I have only one word AMAZING. Thanks so much for sharing your work with us.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Anyone have popcorn?

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Hot dang! excuse me.....wow!!!!!! I hadnt checked this because I didnt figure you would be that far! Its fabulous!!!! I absolutely love it!

• shrty411
    13 years ago

Holy cow!! I don't check in for a while and look what you did!! Jane, that is so amazing and awesome!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slow, YOU are the amazing one, this is a dinky little item compared to your fountain wall and front garden fountain...I'm a wimp compared to you!!! But it sure is fun getting so much Bang for my buck...20hrs work to get This!!! Who knew...4 circle/tubes, could look like this!?!ha! I am sooo busy with stuff I've been posting about over on the Garden Junk side, that I have many juggling balls in the air!lol! I just sat having my morning coffee(up at 5am! hit the ground excited/runnin')and figured out that I have at Least 22 projects I want to do(landscaping/yard decorating/pergola/arbor/trellis type stuff/sheesh)that I could be busy EVERY day for 5-6weeks!!!And that it not to mention weeding..planting....I. Am. Crazy.!!!But it's okay since I have lost a yr due to harmone induced depression. I'm swinging back into "Life Is Good" mode!ha ha! I am hoping, now that the roofs are dry, to work on them, but if it doesn't rain, I GOTTA get out there and plant stuff!!

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

WOW! What a wonderful job you have done on this! You put all of us to shame gal. I think that your inspiration come to life is marvelous. Are you going to chip up your slate to do the roofs?
    All of your projects will get done by you "Wonder Woman"
    and instead of juggling those balls, mosaic them.
    Keep up the good work.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, been so busy...like a chicken with my head cut off...but got going on the copper roofs....YES! I actually just cut and folded the copper sheeting to the roof...easy peasy...I kinda like the rustic-ness of it and will call it done! I had a issue getting the copper tubing swirl attached, but after cleaning to get the oxidation off, it went better, am concerned with the solder and can't find my copper patina, but will leave it for now, am gonna let it all oxidize(turn green) anyways...I think the copper looks real whimsical like this and will have better pics to come as this is going pretty fast....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:69591}}

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know you are obsessed when...you only stop cuz you have cut your finger and it's bleeding all over what you are trying to work on...so you stop to get a bandaid and to heat up(for the 3rd time!!!) that coffee you poured and didn't drink yet...am I the only one who uses my arm to sweep aside enough room to work at my work table...instead of cleaning it up...Bad Jane!!! Ohhhh, the hurtbaggery!!lol!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

OHJANEYBO - I LOVE THIS. The roof treatment is absolutely amazing - so PERFECT. This is probably my favorite of all your work! - Yep - I think it is. You are so danged creative - wonderful ideas I'd never think of - wish I had that insight! Re your sweeping your work table - I do the same thing and have cut my fingers bad - now I use a little dust pan and broom. Hate cleaning the workshop - just like to play.

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

I love it Jane! I was trying to imagine what you were doing with the tubing.

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Wowzer Miss Jane.. you've been a busy girl!!! Nice castle you got there!!!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I love that roof .Looking very good.I also Move every thing to the side .My room is a mess right I really need to get in there and clean it up. ugh!!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was such a wonderfully sunny day out that I HAD to get outside and paint and plant, so only got the 2nd roof copper coated, but now that I KNOW what I am doing(LOL!)with the soldering, I will whiz thru this! I am REALLY liking the crinkled roof look and am excited to see it all done!

• fldirt
    13 years ago

I love love the roof! You guys are so clever.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Ummmmm - er - uh - why aren't you working on this? !!!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hauling rock home for the base for this to live on...gotta get it while I have my friend Glen here to help! I'm pokey compared to you!ha! Maybe have to borrow your Wonder Woman Cape!heh heh!;)