Planter back

Comments (44)

• jeltsje
    17 years ago

it is beautiful,I love it
    jel

• bianchi2
    17 years ago

OH that's the toilet tank? Beautiful! I love it!
    What a great idea, also love the handle on it, but how did you ever move that thing around?
    Bianchi

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

Awesome !!!

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

Wench,it is beautiful..would be just as pretty in a bathroom also,new idea for bathrooms..love your design and colors Annie

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Looks GREAT!!! are the blues solid pieces? great design and the handle adds a little whimsey. very cool!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Very nice!!

• mosaicwench1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments.

Yes - the blue pieces and the purple pieces are one piece for the most part. In some areas they are broken into two pieces because this tank wasn't flat (who knew?).

It's not "all" that heavy, but I did have my supportive husband move it just in case! Since I took the photo I mounded a little mulch around it so you can't see the paver it rests upon.

It's in a front yard garden so I can't wait to hear comments (my neighbors aren't shy about comments)!

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Ok, I'm not laughing now. It is really great. And you put my favorite flower in there..petunia's!!
    KUDOS!

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Looks beautiful in the garden! Just love it!

• hrsg
    17 years ago

That is so lovely! The colors are so perfect together. That is one pot(ty) anyone would love to have! ~: )

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

It turned out gorgeous..I can't even think why the neighbors would complain!!! Let them voice there opinion all they want..art is art..some like your work...the others just have no taste!!!!!!

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Came out great wench!! I love the colors!

At least you give your neighbors something to talk about!LOL

Maria

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

It's beautiful. It sure would look pretty in a bathroom for real!

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

I'm flushed with excitement!!! You have yet again bowl-ed me over with your ideas! You had that biffy done in a jiffy!!!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

WENCH: That is simply gorgeous, and such a delightfully unique way to use something common. I really love the color combination, contrast, and especially the way you used the triangles between the one-piece shapes, then the squares. The green triangles technique gives the impression of being mirrors, reflecting blades of grass. Did you think/plan and draw the whole thing out before you started? I would really like to see a long-shot view of it's placement in your FRONT???? garden. You have more nerve than I to put it in front. Guess I'm not that gutsy yet. It's truly a beautiful work of art.

• squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

Well, isn't that just the coolest thing! If it didn't have a handle you'd never know it was from a toilet. Great job, so creative!

• mosaicwench1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I left the handle specifically for the viewer to say
    "hey - that's a toilet tank!" Otherwise it was too serious, IMO.

Plan before I start? HA HA HA.

The only work I plan before I start are the glass-on-glass windows. I draw large cartoons for those.

Everything else starts with an idea that stays in my head and gets worked out in mosaic as I go. Some things work and some are butt-ugly (I don't post those). I started that tank with "purple" in mind. I needed purple on that toilet tank. Then I found that delicious aqua glass and said "blue and purple" . . .then those orange tiles jumped into my hand and I said "accent with orange tiles" . . . that's about how it evolved.

The photo below is of the tank in my front yard from my front window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard and toilet tank

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

WOW Your planter is BEAUTIFUL!!! Always almost shocked at the difference grout makes. Your shading is wonderful!! So much depth.

Question about the triangles in background. Is it easier or recommended to use triangles to help keep from getting grout rivers? I have never tried to use the triangles and see many of us do.I like the look very much. I used them on my lady just cutting the squares in half to get them to lay flat but never as an all over filler.Curious to try it.

Chris

• klinger
    17 years ago

Why it's just beautiful, I really love the colors and would never have guessed it was a toilet if not for the handle.
    Cindy

• mosaicwench1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Triangles . . . .

Most "official" mosaic artists will say triangles create movement and stress and keep your key hopping around.

I'm in a "triangle phase" I guess. I'm interested in exploring them and elongating them and playing with how they interact.

I think of them as arrows and pointers and compulsion and direction. They seem a natural element (to me) to use on my bowling balls since there is no beginning and no end and they just keep twirling and swirling around the ball. They ended up on the planter/toilet tank in the form of the long "drips" of blue and purple - they are just altered triangles.

Using hard edged triangles as filler is at once easy (what's easier than cutting a square in half?)and edgy (keeps your eye moving).

Gosh I'm wordy today.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Great explaination Wench!

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

Wench,

I am so glad you were wordy on this because I enjoyed every letter of your telling. I think you got the thought across to me. THIS is why your things are so great. You understand all of this. Me I just stick it together Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me. I think I am going to try triangles next time on something. I was thinking on the good side. A person could cut bunches of triangles and tumble them since they will almost fit anywhere once started.

OK Back to work. One doggie groomed and headed home. One in the half way stage ready for her bath. ME I am already ready for a nap. Pouring coffee down as fast as it will go.

Chris

• mosaicwench1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A coffee drinker, Shades - a woman after my own heart.
    There is not enough coffee in the world for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed my post . . . I DO have a tendency to ramble on.

I think you understand more than you give yourself credit for. You mentioned in another post that you are a quilter. You understand relationships and especially TRIANGLES on a different, perhaps unconcious, level. I know this because I used to quilt to the point of obsessive/compulsive behavior. I gave it up cold turkey, as it were, and took up mosaics instead.

If you let that thought ramble around in your head for awhile, you'll see how much you truly understand.

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

LOL COFFEE YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs When it is too hot outside to drink it hot I drink it iced as I am doing now. Definitely my drink of choice. ALWAYS

Waiting on Mommy to pick up last doggie. Then I am off to go pick up plants from a friend.

Wench your yard is beautiful. My only fear of putting your tank in the front yard would be someone walking off with it. I do suppose it would be very heavy. Here no one would bother because no one gets it here. They have no clue to art.

I slowed way down on quilting. Three broken fingers on my left hand, I am left handed, in less than three years put the quilting skids on. Darn. But then I might not have turned to mosaics. I think I am getting the triangle thing now. Never tied it to quilting. And isn't mosaics very close to quiting. We are hooked on cutting things up just to put them back together.

Still going to go through the books and see if there are some patterns I can play with. I turned some of my cross stitch patterns in to beaded pictures. Why not quilts into mosaics.

I quit Cross Stitch like you quit quilting. Any one here want a nice stack of cross stitch books??

Thanks Again Chris

• mosaicwench1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is one of the quilts I made probably 10 years ago. It's a tesselated star. Can you see that I'm STILL exploring triangles and BLACK???

LOL. . . Until I thought about it a bit, I never saw the connection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt

• ladyronnie
    17 years ago

Love this! I'm sure eyeing that GREEN tank differently now...!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

LOVE your quilt, especially the color combos. Beautiful work, and also the placement of the planter is very nice.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Beautiful quilt Wench! I think sewers have a definite advantage to us non sewers, especiallly with stained glass patterns, they can cut out a pattern waaaay better, I can tell a sewer just by looking at their stained glass!!! Same with wood workers. Always perfect. I'm way to impatient and nonperfectionist to get anything just right, if it's close enough, it stays! That's what I love about mosaics! I found my forte!!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Ok, here's the one I credited NICE with, got 'em mixed up. Sorry about that, WENCH! After reading her thread, I am thinking, "OK, do I mosaic that green toilet tank, or bust the whole thing up to use for tessarae??" Decisions, decisions!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

It's decided! I'm inspired to use my toilet pcs now and do a project!!! Thanks Lady! I've been stagnant and in a rut but now, this is a sign from God!! Yippeeee!!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Hey, CALJ! It is exciting to be used by God! And to think He used ME to tell you what to do with your toilet remains! WHAT an honor! :D

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

WENCH: That is a FABULOUS and WONDERFULLY COLORFUL home for flowers! Loving it! I really wish I could cut glass like you. BRAVO!!

• solstice98
    16 years ago

This planter is incredible! You are so skilled and creative.

I can hardly wait until one of my toilet tanks springs a leak so i can confiscate it and start my own planter.

• mosaicwench1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This seems to be the thread that keeps on giving!

Thank you for the kind words about my planter.

• WUVIE
    16 years ago

Oh my. I should never have clicked on this link.
    What fabulous work you have done! I've been perusing
    the mosaics here and love them all!

Good work!

• flagtruck
    16 years ago

Wonderful...I love it. I want one now...but all my toilets are still working...hummm...? Nice job. Great idea.

• Hazel Mahon
    16 years ago

Waaaah! I can't see anything - just get a yahoo photo page saying your pics have migrated to flickr - am I doing something wrong?

• Hazel Mahon
    16 years ago

oops - I just noticed that this post was started in May - just ignore me :)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Grey, it's because Yahoo stopped hosting pics.

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Greymom, I was about to post the same thing. I didn't notice the date, either. Dumb question alert: if Grey & I get the migrated screen, how did Wuvie & Flag get there?

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Did a search... and I think found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: the missing planter

• Hazel Mahon
    16 years ago

FIDDLEKATE - thanks for finding that link. I LOVE that planter!

This was before I joined the forum so I haven't seen it before - it's really beautiful - glad I got to see it!

Hazel

• natasha687
    16 years ago

That is so gorgeous! Great job!
    Natasha687

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

I wasn't able to see it, the same as the others..lol
    so many posts and I was wondering what's up, then the last few posts mentioned it.
    I remember that planter and the sink, from quite a while ago. I especially remember the sink because I had one identical to it and got rid of it...
    oh, I wish I had it back again.

Sponsored