Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So, how bad did I screw this up?

Posted by Keana (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 13:26

Last year I made my very first mosaic. I did a large clay pot. After I finished it, I found out I was supposed to have "sealed" it first. Now I'm afraid to use it outside and plant anything in it. I used clear outdoor caulk to attached the tile and then I used sanded grout. Is there anything I can do to make it usable? It looks kind of silly sitting on the garage bench.....lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So, how bad did I screw this up?

What I would do: Seal the grout (if you haven't already) with a sealer that says it's for outdoor use. Seal the inside of the clay pot. Then find a plastic pot that fits inside your mosaic pot and place your plant inside that liner pot. Then leave outside and see what happens! What has happened to my mosaic pots is that over time, the plant water leaches out through the grout and discolors it.

o
RE: So, how bad did I screw this up?

Someone on garden junk (Jan in Ca I think) seals her pots with spray car undercoating. Maybe if you let the pot dry out really well you could try that on the inside. Has to be very dry or the moisture could be trapped inside espceilally if you have already sealed the outside. Good luck.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here