Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ok now what do I do with all this broken safety glass?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 11:42

An interior window shattered in the lobby of the building I manage. It is smokey colored safety glass. I noticed how beautiful it looked all broken, and then I remembered: I mosaic now!
So its in two buckets in my garage. Do I need to start doing gog or can I mix it with broken dishes on concrete?
I will search this forum too, but I'm so excited I just wanted to tell you all and get advice.
Its so nice that bummers like broken windows are now good things. Dd stepped on one of my hard to find nowadays every day dishes yesterday, and I wasn't bummed cuz it went straight to the mosaic bucket.
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ok now what do I do with all this broken safety glass?

I know you are into concrete too and saw a tufa project that was a geode type thing with that shattered glass...was really cool looking, was on the tufa forum! I am not one to comment on a tg mosaic as I did a very small one and found it to be a pain...but maybe there is a way to use big chunks.

o

Oh, you lucky duckie. My suggestion is to mix it up w/dish shards. Anxious to see your first project w/it.

o

I do a lot of mosaic using stained glass and mirror. While I have never attempted using safety glass, I don't see where there would be any real concern, other than following all safety rules. after all, even safety glass has sharp edges!

o

Lucky you! I second the hypertufa geode idea...only because it's something I want to try too! Other than that, there are so many cool things you could do with it - I've seen it used over fabric, painted surfaces, tissue paper, even candy wrappers! I haven't used it yet myself, but I definitely want to.
Check out the flickr group for inspiration

Here is a link that might be useful: TG group flickr

o

I want some....! I back painted a bunch for a birdbath - gave it a great 3-D look because its so thick! I loved using it - wish I had more!

Here is a link that might be useful: birdbath

o

Great link Shrill!! Love that bird bath Cher!!!

o

love that bird bath!!!

o

Wow! The birdbath is amazing!
I haven't done a thing yet, have lots of boring stuff to do related to trees being cut down.
Soon I hope! thanks for ideas
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here