Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grouting over existing sealed grout

Posted by ohtobedone (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 11:30

I have a friend who finished a patio table top as her first mosaic project. She has sealed the grout and after seeing it she has wiped a little too much grout away. Can she regrout it after sealing it or maybe apply a coat of resin to it. Please give us some of your expert advise to what to do now. Thanks for any help! Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grouting over existing sealed grout

I dont know if new grout would stick to sealed grout. it might, but it might not. usually whene something is grouted over again you take a sharp tool and dig some grout out from the spaces to give it room and something to latch onto. The resin would probly work fine, but I would do a little test board-slap some tiles and grout on it, seal it and then resin it just to make sure the sealant didnt cause some reaction with the resin and cloud it or something.

o

If I'm not mistaken, I think Home Depot carries a sealer remover. Check w/them and Lowes, as well as doing what WACKY suggests. There's also a tool for digging out grout.

o

Technically, you are not supposed to grout over existing grout. I did a lot of research on this at one time....(you can probably learn a lot about it if you visit some tiling sites/forums).
However, they say that if the grout is new enough, you can possibly have some success with grouting over top. But, I believe from what I've read, this is if it is not sealed. I think, from what I understand, the sealer may prevent the new grout from bonding to the old.
You are supposed to remove at least 3/4 of it first.
It's a pain, I know. I had to re-grout someone elses mistake on a backslash last year and it was not a fun time!

o

make sure if she uses resin she uses one that is okay for exterior use...i learned the hard way that the envirotex lite they sell at michaels is not for sunlight...my fault for not reading first

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here