Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shea's Pink Flamingo WIP

Posted by slowmedown (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 11:28

My VERY conservative daughter, who lives on a corner lot on a busy street in North Dallas, asked for a pink flamingo for her front gardens. I was shocked to my toes. She doesn't want "junk" in her picture perfect/magazine-cover-quality gardens. Therefore, I jumped at the chance to make this b/f she changes her mind. Concreted the other side yesterday, so I can slap the first pink tile on this tomorrow.
Flamingo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shea's Pink Flamingo WIP

Oh, wow, SLOW! When I saw the first picture, I thought you'd gone over an actual plastic flamingo, the shape was so incredibly perfect. I'm amazed at your armature skills! You really do demonstrate that a person can do absolutely anything with armature (if they have your skills, of course, lol!)

I can't wait to see what you do with him (her?)

o

Incredible so far. Can't wait to see the pink tiles.
Kathy

o

Yes yes loving it already!!!

o

Thanks, y'all. It wasn't an easy project to make - took some wrestling. Not gonna be easy to mosaic either. I started one side yesterday. W/have to turn it over to mosaic the other side. I can't lift things anymore, so it's not gonna be a real easy thing to manage. Might have to call in my big gun Juan. Shea w/have to bring her truck to pick it up - won't fit in either of our vehicles w/the long rebar hanging out the leg.

o

That is wonderful!! I'll be watching your progress with great awe!! The shape is fantastic. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully!!

o

Unbelievable ! I'm in awe of anyone that can makes things from scratch. How big is it ? I have weak arms , I know the problems you'll have :)

Funny , you should mention Pink Flamingos ....I'm in the process of getting my plastic painted ones out now. So far I have a giraffe, a camo one, a zebra,some beaded ones and I have a
"Hardly Davidson" one in the works. Nuthin' wrong with "elegant" flamingos !

o

Thanks, MURRAYS and TOOMUCH. Today's progress was PAINFUL - practly standing on my head w/my aching back to get underneath. I'm gonna have to have Juan put it up in the ground for me to get to all areas then grout. That'll be fun - since it's in the 90s here already. I simply can't lift it, and if I could, I'm afraid the pieces w/be forced to fall off in my clumsiness. TOOMUCH - I'm LOL at your array of flamingos. These I want to see. Are you going to post them on Garden Junk? I guarandangtee you, should Shea want another one, she'll build it herself. On the size, from the feet to the head is 52" tall and 32" wide. BTW - my friend Tracy w/be here Tuesday for us to begin my fireplace project. I've wanted to and thought about it for years, and have finally settled on a design. It'll be GRAND!!!
Flamingo

o

Awesome, SLOW! So much progress in such a short time. I definitely understand the pains of 3D mosaic. The mouth are of Mr. Sea nearly killed me. I couldn't work on it for very long because I'd get a kink in my neck. Took forever! Yours is turning out beautifully, though!

o

That's a big 'un ! LOL I feel your pain .

Funny about my painted flamingos- I posted some pics on the forum I go to -- the KTT --- I had one lady beg me make her 2 of them . She wanted more but it was too hard to find the boxes for shipping. I always get caught up in weird stuff ... LOL

o

OHHHHHHHHHHH - TOOMUCH: Didn't know you MADE them. Please post them on the conversation side here when you bring them all out. Do you put all yours out in your gardens? I get boxes at a storage company. If they don't have the size you need, you can get two near the size and make a box to fit. Where do you buy your flamingos?

o

I love the flamingo! Can't wait to see it finished. Building one of these beauties is definitely on my list!

o

Yup! You are still so fast, SlowUdown!!! Loving it! Today is raining so I am gonna play!!! heh heh! He>Flamingo Frank...is looking great!;-)

o

Slow -- I ordered mine in bulk from the Home Depot website.

o

Wow, you are making really good progress. I can't wait to see it when you finish. It's so cool!!!!

o

It's looking wonderful Betty, I never realized how big it was. Your daughters lucky, it will look wonderful in a garden.

o

Thank, y'all. I've had to take a break - until Juan, who comes this afternoon, can put her in the ground so I can work on all sides w/o having to turn her. Another reason for a break - Tracy built the fireplace structure today. I'll post that shortly.

o

Finished until installation, when I'll grout where the tie-downs are and place a porcelain rose on the other side for her choker - note black "ribbon" around her neck. She will face the other way. Juan drilled a hole in the door to put the rebar stake through. I don't look forward to installation day. The door on sawhorses is 30" high for scale on this little sucker.
Flamingo Almost Finished

o

Boy, you got that done quick!! It turned out really neat! So cool!!

o

Geeze - you're fast !!! Now I know why you chose your name ~~~LOL

It's looking perfect. You couldn't have done any better !!

o

Thanks, y'all - appreciate your comments. I w/have been finished much faster, but I got sidetracked on painting a concrete statue for Jeannie, my best friend, and the fireplace project. Now I wish I had one of these, but I'm afraid I'd get bored making another one. Never have been able to do two of something.

o

Love this. I can't believe you actually made it, let alone mosaic it. Amazing!

o

I love love love this!!!!

o

I LOVE IT TOO!!!! Love the ring around the neck! This will be so awesome planted up!!! She is gonna flip over it!!! Got a pic of the painted statue??? You are just whipping off projects!!! Wish I could escape Camp Calamity/Ranchero Sidetracko, and come play with you!!!

o

Thanks, y'all. Your kind words are much appreciated. Shea already has plans on how to decorate her for holidays. There is a lady in her neighborhood who decorates two geese at her front door for all holidays. Well, she has competition now. Several of her neighbors have taken inspiration from her gardens and ran with it. CALAM - I suppose I could post a picture of the statue on the other side. W/do that. Ohhhhh - you don't know how MUCH I'd love for you to come visit. Gonna be tough tiling and grouting the lower parts of the fireplace. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could teach Juan to do that too?

o

She's a Beauty! Love that pink.

o

I can't wait to see that lovely flamingo in the garden and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of her as the various holidays come around! You are amazing!!

o

Thanks, SILVA and CHINA. Yes, you'll see pictures of her w/her holiday garbs on.

o

SLOW that's turned out beautifully! I didn't realize it was as big as it is. You really do demonstrate to everyone that the sky is the limit when it comes to making sculptures. So much talent! I can't wait to see it "returned to the wild", LOL

o

Thanks, LORI. It'll be "returned to the wild" during the July 4 celebrations at Shea's house. That means it'll have to sit on my outside worktable 'till then, and I won't be able to use it. Good thing I have a garage worktable and a workshop table.

o

Gorgeous, Shea's lucky, it will look very neat in any garden. You did a fabulous job on it.

o

Many thanks, KLINGER. Wish I had one, but no way w/I do another one.

o

Being a born-at-Baylor Dallasite, I'm cracked up thinking of that gorgeous flamingo gracing a N. Dallas FRONT lawn, especially a busy corner lot. I can imagine the wildly rolling eyes. BTW, it's wonderful!

Rosie, long gone from N. Dallas, in Sugar Hill, GA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here