Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shipping mosaics question

Posted by deedeeminn (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 11:00

For those of you who ship mosaic works - how do you keep the grout from falling out? I sent a friend a piece of my work and she reported that some of the grout had "dusted away" as she put it. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shipping mosaics question

Grout should not fall or dust away if you properly grouted it. What kind of grout did you use on what kind of project?

o

I once bought a beautiful bowling ball mosaic but the grout just disintegrated right away in my house. I think she used grout from an art store and not hardware store grout. more like craft grout. I was so disappointed.

o

I have had more of a problem lately with it breaking. I recently shipped a concrete bird bath and the place packed it for me. It still broke. I don't plan to ship those again

o

Ooh, darn. I'm starting up a shop to sell my concrete flowers and mushrooms on line. They'll be shipped. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had problems with breakage.

I'd planned on bubble wrapping them, then filling in the gaps with styrofoam peanuts. I'd assumed that would be good enough.

o

Grout should not turn back into powder and fall off the piece. There are several reasons why this might happen.

If the grout is mixed with too much water, it might fail because it's weak. Another possibility is that the grout ingredients have separated and settled within the bag and the proper proportions weren't mixed. The way to ensure that this doesn't happen is to mix the entire bag of grout while it's dry before you scoop some out to mix with water. Not a pleasant thing to do, I know. I buy the smaller bags of grout so it's less trouble, and then you can dump the entire bag into a bucket, stir it up (dry), and then scoop out what you need for your mixture. I do this outside. Take care not to breathe it.

Lastly, I seal the grout with grout sealer made for outdoors. I wait 24 hours after grouting, then apply it with a spray bottle, then wipe off the tess.

As for shipping, use bubble wrap and when you think it is packed well enough, use yet another layer of bubble wrap. Tape the bubble wrap so it can't move. I would not use peanuts because of the way they shift about. I would rather use crumpled paper, packed tightly.

o

Silvamae, thank you for the tips on shipping!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here