Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help needed

Posted by madeyna (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 9:45

Can someone here recommend a few web sights for someone who has never done mosaics of anykind before? I have been cruising the web. and threads here but have lots of questions. How are they getting the rounded edges on some of the tiles? Is all cutting done threw nipping or can you sand down some edges with a grinder?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help needed

google search, google images, you tube, this site on search,
reading the posts, checking out the photo gallery here..

too many to list..
gotta have time and patience, to read, research and follow advice of the ones who have blazed the trail, right here, on this forum.

tools listed, advice on using them..
wow, now I'm all wanting to go back and reread a lot of what's right on here!

and don't forget to go to the very last pages of posts..a lot of information will be dropped off, as new posts show up at the beginning.....like this one.............

good luck and get dirty~

o

Madeyna, Welcome to our group. You can go to Happycraftin'
mosaic supplies and they have a lot of informative stuff on there for you. To answer your question, most of the folks here that use stained glass a lot, cut their curves and then grind them smooth. I use a lot of mixed media, mostly broken dinnerware and other found stuff. I cut mine with nippers for the curves. I use wheeled nippers, but I know a lot of people use the straight nippers. I cut a lot of my straight stuff and squares on a wet saw.
do a google for happycraftin.com
there are a lot of utube snippets that show and tell. try searching there for mosaics and also stained glass. Just search youtube.com. Good luck

o

There is an excellent book on amazon.com on how to do mosaic murals.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451548257?tag=wu0f-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1451548257&adid=14C5ZBSDNSX2ZYR8QA4W&

It is called "Mosaic Murals - how to tackle large-scale installations" - but the information provided works n any size mosaic.

The books gives lots of tips, explains the tools, the supplies, and even has a resource page with recommended sources for everything from tile to grout.

o

There is a wonderful site with lots of info. I think you'll enjoy. Check it out.

http://www.mosaicandstainedglass.org/forums/index.php?action=forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here