Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mechanics for making a birdbath

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 9:24

After advice from this forum, I have put together the pieces of a birdbath. I got 4 reasonably priced big pots at Michaels and one big ceramic dish from Home Depot and have decorated them. But what now? Do I just glue the pieces together and be done with it? (and if so, what kind of glue).

I'd like to make it less fragile (I could see my husband hitting it with the lawnmower and knocking it over and breaking it all). I was thinking of putting some cement in each pot for sturdiness, but I think that would make it really heavy. If I do that, will it be too heavy to take outside?

Any other advice for how turn 4 big pots and a big ceramic dish into a sturdy but manageable birdbath?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mechanics for making a birdbath

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're making. Are you planning to stack the 4 pots on top of each other? Could you post a picture?

o
I have 4 clay pots and 1 dish right now and would like to

stack the way they are in this picture

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://0.tqn.com/d/familycrafts/1/0/F/m/sharonbirdbath.jpg&imgrefurl=http://familycrafts.about.com/od/birdbaths/ss/Clay_Pot_Bird_Bath.htm&usg=__kQtozusxTpLnbF7cKM0Y_D61d6s=&h=360&w=277&sz=25&hl=en&start=0&sig2=Db8OZLscA8509wbAfDs08A&zoom=1&tbnid=Gff7csDOcI1TxM:&tbnh=151&tbnw=116&ei=7prmTfPGFKrj0QHn5MSiCg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dclay%2Bpot%2Bbirdbath%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1152%26bih%3D647%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=452&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=41&ty=78&biw=1152&bih=647

o

I don't think it's necessary to fill w/cement. I WOULD use thinset to adhere them together. My favorite, of course, is Mapei Ultra Flex II - found at Lowes.

o

Oh, what a cute idea! It looks like the instructions refer you to using Gorilla glue. It's what I've used to connect my mushroom caps to the stems and my stool top to the base. However, it foams out and expands as it dries (like that spray foam insulation if you've ever seen it applied). Not a big deal for my projects because you can't see the underside where I've glued. I'm not sure I'd use it for this project because you want to keep a smooth edge. Like Slow recommended, thinset would be a better way to go.

To your question about making it sturdy, I would be concerned about the balance of it all and it being too top heavy. It seems without another "dish" on the bottom, it might not be terribly stable. Of course, I'm thinking of it on dirt or grass. I agree that it would weigh a ton if you filled each pot with cement. But maybe just fill the bottom one?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here