Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Is the forum dead?

silvamae
10 years ago

Say it isn't so! I check here four or five times a day, hoping to see a new post or a reply to a post. I've been busy working on large projects - - just finished a 6 ft. x 4 ft. painting for a man in Houston - - but my main focus is and always will be Mosaics. My warrior woman is ready to grout. I'm waiting on an order of Apoxy Sculpt, which should be here today, which I will use a bit of to help install the antler. Here's a pic of the front, ready to grout.

Comments (17)

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I hope it is not dead and that the reason is because people (like me) are just too busy working outside to mosaic right now!

I love the bird on her shoulder!!! Is it on a leaf?

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi! Yes, it's a little porcelain bird on a fluted leaf. It has the same shades of pale olive green and brown as the pieces around her neck. I hope you're right; people are outside working in their gardens and flower beds right now.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, uh huh - that's me - outside working in the gardens. Uh huh!!!! Still can't seem to want to do anything. Working in paper at the present. One of these days, I hope to get back to mosaicing some small things. I just can't seem to find a way around this wall that has blocked me from ANY kind of project worth sharing **sigh**.

BTW, SILVA - you sure did a fast and beautiful job on the torse. It's very unique. You're gonna love the Apoxie Sculpt.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, crafty-lady and slowmedown, for replying; I was beginning to feel lonely and lost in the wilderness. I went through a long period of drought where I did nothing creative and then suddenly the fog lifted. Maybe sometimes we just need those fallow times to regenerate? As I said in another post, there's nothing like a deadline to get me busy; that's why I accepted Annii's invitation to set up a table at her open house in June.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Heck my mosaic drought lasted 1 1/2 years due to the fact we lost our home to foreclosure! A year ago my daughter bought her first home and we spent almost 7 months fixing it up and it was finally ready for the 5 of us (daughter, hubby, son, furbaby Missy and I) to move into it December 13th. While the inside has been completely renovated, we have a huge backyard that needs to be tackled before it gets too hot to be working outside. Plus I need to go through tons of boxes in the garage and decide what to keep and what to sell and hopefully find my bins of grout and then I'm hoping it won't be long until I can get back to mosaicing again. I like looking at what others are doing though because it keeps me inspired and I hope it will spark an idea for my next project!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow, you've been busy! Hopefully you will get back into mosaics soon.

• grambu
    10 years ago

Well I certainly hope not since I just discovered this site. I am a mosaic artist and just came in the house after grouting 2 pieces in the garage. Most of my work are wall hangings from 12 x 12 inches to 18 x 24 inches. They are all bright and colorful. some are of nature and some are of people and some are just plain whimsey!
    If some of you out there are thinking of working with mosaics--go for it! It is easier then stained glass and you can get wonderful results. You can use either ceramic tile or stained glass or a combo of the two, which is what I usually do. All materials are available online.
    I hope other artists speak up on this subject.--- Judith

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

oooh Silva, that torso is SUPER!!!!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, nicethyme! She will be grouted soon (by end of day next Tuesday, if not before).

Welcome, Judith! There are many wonderful and talented people here. I miss them if they don't post often.

I got my Apoxie Sculpt in the mail yesterday and played with it some today, and I Love It! I see endless possibilities.

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

I have also been working in the garden but also have done some crosses .I need to down load all my pics .Love the torso .

• drtdgr
    10 years ago

Silva, I have been working out in my garden (uh, drtdgr?) . As much as I want to finish the projects that have been gathering dust for months, my neglect has turned my garden into a jungle.

I've been experimenting with pencil sketches and have discovered a love for that too. Helps to learn perspective, shadowing, color theory, etc. for mosaics. At least for what I would like to do, landscapes.

Been thinking of this forum. I've missed being on it.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, nana, good to see you here. Love to see pics of your crosses. I did a bunch of crosses in the past and I love doing them. Maybe I'll try to complete one or two before the open house in June.

drtdgr, my neglect of my back yard has turn it into a wilderness. I planted some Gregg's Salvia last weekend and some other flowering plants, but didn't even plant any tomatoes this year. Now I'm sorry I didn't, because we have had so much unexpected rain, they probably would have done well.

My granddaughter does pencil sketches all the time and it's wonderful to watch how she improves from week to week.

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

I too have been very busy cleaning up my gardens. Had my annual plant and garden art sale last Saturday and did very well in spite of the rain. Just simply amazes me that people continue to come.

I too, do better when deadlines are looming. Am scheduled to participate at the Plum Creek Art Fest in July. So will be my inspiration to get more mosiacs worked on!

Your torso is amazing!

This post was edited by becky_ia on Mon, May 27, 13 at 22:31

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, becky! Sounds like you've been busy, too. Wish I could have come to your sale . . .

• loribee2
    10 years ago

Oh dear, guilty!! I am signed up to do two craft shows this summer--my first--so I have been busy making as much inventory as I can. It's all the same flowers, mushrooms and pendants you've all already seen so I haven't wanted to bore folks with more posts.

Although...in the middle of it all, I'm making a cat. This will be for me. I've learned that in the process of making things to sell, I need to remember me or it will just become a second job.

And at the same time, when I have popped in, most of the questions being asked are on subjects better suited for other experts on this forum. So I have been a guilty lurker!

Silva, your torso is gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing it with the antler.

Mr. Kat:

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

loribee2 I can't wait to see that cat finished! It's already so cute!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

I love this cat, LORI: She has attitude, especially w/those super whiskers.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery