Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hanging ceramic tiles on verticle pine wood risers on my stairs

Posted by sil2007 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 4:05

Hi to all.....

i hope someone can allow me to skip the experimental stage and tell me what type of adhesive or tile setting material i should use to hang various tiles from 4x4 - 6x6 on the solid pine stairs. They would only be set on the risers which is the part of the stairs that is verticle as you take each step up. And yes... as we step up, the front of the feet might hit the tiles.....But i am thinkig it might not be so serious as i have seen this at the local restaurant. But some of the softer tiles worry me,,,,i may just try to use the hardest tiles...

Do i use a silicon or glue gun type of adheisve or a tile adhesive that is a glue base with latex? The wood might expand and crack the tile,,,,but i have never hung tiles on wood. Do i also have to seal the wood first?

Can i simply seal the pores of the pine with only one coat of some type of urethane?

P.S.i am trying to use the most eco friendly non toxic material so i rather not use things like silicone if that is real toxic..

Sil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hanging ceramic tiles on verticle pine wood risers on my stai

Hey There! I would just call a flooring store and they would recommend the best adhesive(fastest too) to use. Sounds like a great feature for your home, hope you post pics!

o
RE: hanging ceramic tiles on verticle pine wood risers on my stai

sil2007, I would use Weldbond glue that most of us use to adhere tiles to wood. One of our gals on here did her stairs and will be much more versed om this, I am sure Silvamae will see this and lead you to the right answer.
Show us some pics when you get done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here