Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spage1_gw

Glue for glass

spage1
15 years ago

I need to find a glue that will glue 2 pieces of glass together and dry clear. It should be stable in hot weather. Can someone help me with this. Thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (20)

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Mac Glue has been recommended as one of the best. Below is a link where I purchased mine. I was very happy with the service they provide. I bought two bottles of Mac glue to use for gluing glass on glass (GOG) but I haven't started the project yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryland Mosaics adhesives page

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

silva is right, Mac is highly recomended. It is only availble on line. Weldbond and GEII silicone are both decent choices too.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

hold on and I'll try to find the GOG glue test thread for you (if someone else hasn't already bumped it)

• spage1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read the bumped up test thread, what great info. Thanks to mmqchdygg for bumping it up. I am wanting to do some garden totems using vases, plates, jars etc. I went to my goodwill yesterday and bought a trunk full of things. My husband thought I was crazy, again!!! He will love them once I get them made and in the flower beds. Thanks again for the post and info.

• gils
    15 years ago

About 10 years ago. i glued 2small pieces of mirror together with fishing line in between i made a very long garland doing this every 6 inches. I strung it all over an arbor in a shady part of my garden and it catches the light beautifully. It is in perfect shape still not one piece of glass has fallen off and it stays out all winter in our wonderful extreme -20 degrees or lower. I used GE11 exterior. even the mirror is still in perfect shape. Here is abad pic. you can see the little squares of mirror. not a great shot but you can see they are out there.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/draig123/IMG_0119foggy2.jpg[/IMG]

• gils
    15 years ago

oops wrong code this should work

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oh, I like that idea....I like the way your garden wears her winter coat...bet it's just beautiful in bloom!

• pinkcb
    15 years ago

Locktite 349 or Locktite Hysol will do exactly what you're looking for. I use them for g-o-g and they stay out all year round in a harsh climate.

• spage1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again. Thanks to all who have replied. I really admire everyones work here, it is inspiring. I chose to use the GEII only because of immediate availability. I will order MAC when I am ready to do more. Now my question is- Since this is a silicone base will the pieces have movement at the joints? One piece I did has a lot of movement,even after cure time, where 2 pieces join. I am worried it will come apart when I place it in the garden. It is also my best piece. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks again

• yell_rose
    15 years ago

When you say there is movement in the joints, are you saying the top piece of glass is moving? Did you press the 2 pieces together tightly? Did both fit together without any rocking? Some times you can get a tiny spot of dried sil. under another piece and it doesnt make good contact, allowing movement. I've done several GOG w/ sil. and there isn't any movement when dry. As mentioned, the grout should firm up any small amount of 'give' you may have.

• redcrowarts
    15 years ago

I also use the GEII silicone for glass - I love it. Never had tried the MAC on anything - I will tuck it in my hat for the future

• brendak_59
    15 years ago

Has anyone used 527 multi-purpose cement on GOG?
    It says it is water resistant and it dries crystal clear.

Brenda

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Ok, silly question. I was Home Depot to get some of the GEII stuff. Is it a caulk? Could someone maybe post a picture of the container? I am familiar with Weldbond, but would really like to try this GE stuff.

• redcrowarts
    15 years ago

it is a form of caulk and it comes in clear or off white I think is the other color. It is red/white tube and looks like a tube of toothpaste for the smaller one. 2.8 oz. It says kitchen and bath on it. 100% silicone sealant. I hope that helps my battery is dead in camera

• texaswild
    15 years ago

TEX: I use the one w/the calking gun - it's less expensive than in the squeeze tube, and if you get it at Walmart, it's $1.00 cheaper than at Lowes. Windows/Doors is the one most people use, but I've even used the Kitchen/Bath when I mosaiced my house number surround and seasonal shelf. Since I still can't get to Photobuckets, I've started transferring pictures to Flickr, but don't know how to navigate their system yet, so this is an experiment. BTW - all those tubes and MORE are all past their expiry date - waaaaahhhaaa - money down the drain! Oh, it also comes in black
    GEII

• redcrowarts
    15 years ago

slowmedown - is it akward using the caulking gun? I worried it would be bulky so have stuck to the tubes.

flickr is great if you need any help just email me

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, RED - I squeeze out a small bit on the back of an old Correll plate, then use a small painter's pallet knife to spread a little on the substrate, then stick the tesserae down. I've almost excluded silicon from my workshop - fumes too dangerous, and it's too hot here now to work w/it outside.

• redcrowarts
    15 years ago

am I the only one that does not smell the silicon. I have never ever noticed a smell from it. Maybe the fumes have eaten my smeller! I see how you do it now - I just dab it on directly from the small tube on each piece and it works well for me. thanks for sharing

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

very rarely will I smell anything when using GEll, occasionally when I get to the end of a tube I smell something like the old hair perm chemicals. Other than that, I smell nothing.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

To keep from wasting the GEII since it skims over while I'm fiddling with tesserae placement, I gun it into a large syringe from the vet's. Then I can simply squish out as much as needed for each piece, place it and go on. If I run out of time and have to stop before a syringe is empty, I stick a push pin in the hole, draw the plunger back and let it in effect self seal. Might have a little cured plug attached to the pin when I'm ready to resume, but other than that very little waste. To plug the end of the caulk tube, use a medium diameter nail and some tape.

I am switching more to the thinset, but still working out how to keep it from setting up as quickly......maybe I just need to cut loose and work faster!! LOL!!

Pat

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County