Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1wanderer

Wall mosaic

1wanderer
10 years ago

Moving to this house shortly and I want to do something with this wall.
I thought of mosaicing the top
I also thought of doing a mosaic border of some sort along the wall about 8" or 10" high, probably with assorted media - broken bits of crockery, tiles, 'found' bits and pieces etc so it will not be a 'flat' surface

I also want to incorporate somewhere some fun bits like half cups/bowls that I can put some small plants/succulents in.
Oh and I also want to paint the whole wall terracotta or mediterranean blue or something exotic.
TOO much grey atm. Very dull

My question is should I use something like a small tile as an edge top and bottom to contain the random thickness mosaic inside?
Or if I tile the top of the wall and down to the bottom of the first layer of blocks I would just put a straight line of tiles under?
Probably not explaining myself too well here sorry

Comments (11)

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Oh what a wonderful wall - empty canvas. Re the painting b/f the mosaic, I advise against it. I painted my Lady of Guadalupe Shrine b/f I put a few pieces of mosaic on, and some of them have come off. Remember you'd be mosaicing onto paint, which tends to come off/chip. My suggestion is to mosaic right onto the wall, then paint what's left. It w/be beautiful from your description. I wouldn't worry about the different textures/thickness of the tess - the different levels w/create interest, even though it's a nightmare to grout. Let your imagination run wild, and be sure and show us WIP pictures.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Wonderful empty canvas, as you say, Slow. Wow, I would love to have a similar wall just waiting for mosaic to happen to it. I would mosaic the top and down to that line a la Gaudi, the only straight line of tiles would be the lower edge. I would indulge myself with curved, bulky pieces for the top, (half bowls, half cups, etc.). Then I would paint the rest of the wall either pale blue or terra cotta. It's going to be beautiful. I would use thinset for the adhesive and perhaps Rustoleum paint for the lower portion of the wall. Please please post pics as you go!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Good advice, SILVA. I forgot to say use thinset. Oh, BTW - I w/also put some kind of hanging water feature on the wall and do a real fantastic mosaic surrounding it. Google for ideas on wall water features. Here are some ideas.
    water feature
    water feature
    and one of my favs
    water feature

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Wonderful idea. Especially love that last link . . .

• 1wanderer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we've been in the house about 2 1/2 months now. Had major works done inside and are now tackling the outside (we are now into Spring here)
    We painted the wall and I have decided to just mosaic the top otherwise way,way too much work!
    So here is a preview.
    I have absolutely no idea how long this will take as I can only do it when this area is shaded. Today when I started my tile glue was drying on the knife before I could even get it on the tile!
    So early morning.
    And then later evening with glass of wine in hand (should be interesting lol)

• 1wanderer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Beginning............

I do not know how this will end up.

No preplanned design.
    And no idea.

Oh well it will be fun anyway :)

• texaswild
    10 years ago

And THAT's what matters. If you like it and enjoying doing it, what else matters. W/be an interesting project to watch. Love the blue paint.

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

Oh it looks like it is going to be so fun!!!

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

You are off to a great start!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Yes looks like a great beginning!!!

• Lisa Mann
    10 years ago

Keep us posted! Love the blue paint.

Sponsored