Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emtnest

Airplane part mosaic

emtnest
14 years ago

I have three of these huge pot like things... they are airplane parts.They come from the water planes, it is the last part that the water flows through before being dropped for fires.

[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/Airplane%20part/DSCF0047.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/Airplane%20part/DSCF0048.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/Airplane%20part/DSCF0049.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (37)

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

OH!! I LOVE those tiles!!! Great colors!!! Are you gonna stack em like a tower??? Or will they be planters? Lovely Eye Candy!!!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Waaaaaaaay too cooollllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is something I would do!!!!! I absouletly love it!!! The colors are great!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! I love taking discarded or old things and making them BEAUTIFUL!! And that is excatly what you have done!!!! WONDERFUL!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

I love them. The tile I love too. How big around are they? Calamity wondered if you were going to stack them, are they big enough to use for a side table? That was my first thot. But then some pix make them look larger than they actually are. I can picture them stacked. They would wow you garden or deck or any place you placed them.

Kat

• charmo
    14 years ago

Emtnest, wow, those look superb! I love your choice of colours too. Bravo!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHGOODGRIEF!!!!!!!!! I am GREEN w/envy. How I'd love to get some of those parts. And your tiles are to die for. Where did you find such wonderful tiles? What a great job you do on mosaicing.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

Now, I gotta say...I'm an 'idea' person and never, did I ever think of using an airplane part!
    I had a broken transmission part, from the car, set aside for a mosaic and it got tossed by my kids, but an airplane part is
    extra cool, since it's from one of the water planes...
    really, really a cool project and a great combination of tiles..and me too, asks......where did you get the tiles?
    they're very 'substantial' looking...

love it!

• klinger
    14 years ago

I love these parts, how big are they? You're tiles are gorgeous, love that cobalt blue,
    Cindy

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

IF YOU CAN STAND SOME MORE LOVINS, I want to say they are tremendous!!!!!!!! Excellent tile patterns. I cant wait to advance a bit and create a real mosaic like that. They look like amazing Irns. Your tiles must be the very fancy designer ones made for elegant bars, pools, counters, ect.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh thanks all for such nice comments..I hadn't thought of stacking them.They are 23" tall and 28" at the widest point. They are pretty heavy before mosaic, so probably not. I had to haul it to the table on a wagon and could barely lift it to the table. Will need strong man to move it.
    As for the tiles, we have a carpet/tile store in Chico that bought out a swimming pool tile store and they have all these wonderful tiles outside under an awning in boxes. You can buy a whole box or just one tile. They are really fun tiles. I love color and cobalt blue (can you tell?)

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

WOWser, I had to go to your page to see where you live. Not close enuf for Slow and I to come to that tile place. LOL
    I love your parts and the tiles. Beautiful job on them and I can identify with the heavy. Seems everything I do is heavy, both to start with and especially after I get tile on it.
    You are a very creative person, keep up the good work.

• ladyronnie
    14 years ago

Now this reminds me of SLOW's vent turbine thing a while back. Who-da thunk?? Your airplane parts truly are WAY COOL! And apparently HUGE! I could see a palm type tree planted in them. (Don't know where you live, and they wouldn't grow HERE, but I could still see it!)

• sereneseen
    14 years ago

Absolutely wonderful urn, the tiles, and the resourcefulness of using parts from an airplane. Blows my mind. What a wonderful creation. Guess it's time to hang out at some small town airfields and scavenge for parts!

Emtnest, I love everything about it!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Well looky who else is here today - LADY. Come baaaaaaaack.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1st part ready for grout...

2nd part ready to grout...

View from top...

• texaswild
    14 years ago

You LOVE to rub it in w/the closeup of those beautiful tiles. Your work is so - well - PERFECT. GEESH, how I'd love to live near that tile store. Those w/be so easy to grout. Seems I always make grouting nightmares. BEATUTIFUL.

• sereneseen
    14 years ago

I am so green with envy that it's not funny. I'm salivating here! Love, love, love the tiles. I love the shape. Ditto what slow said....it's BEAUTIFUL!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Em. these are beautiful!! I am so in love with that size pots and drooling here over the tile combinations, they are wonderful!! Are you keeping them for yourself or going to sell them??

Great job

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all, thanks.. I think I am keeping them. Just started the third one today. I am sort of thinking a japanese maple with some trailing flowers below... or ivy.

• jaydee_grower
    14 years ago

Gorgeous pots, great work. Love the colours.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK my friends.. this is the 3rd and final airplane part mosaiced. I just have to get some more little ones for the bottom round...then all ready for grout...

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!!! These w/be easily grouted - all flat surfaces. Sure hope you show us pictures of where you'll place these in your gardens.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

How very BEAUTIFUL! Did you get those gorgeous tiles from e-bay? I got some a year or so ago on e-bay and have only used a few of them so far. Been thinking they would great on a table top for the deck. Lovely pieces!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thnx for nice comments...Cathy, I get the tiles in Chico, just 30 minutes away. They have a great supply, but when they are gone they are gone...since it is from a pool supply that they bought out...I'm getting more today.
    Slow, I am trying to decide just where to put these beauties...keep them on the deck or put out and about in the gardens...

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

Oh how I looooove those tiles! You've done a beautiful job arranging them! Where on earth did you find airplane parts, and how did you know that's what they were?!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sqirrelly....I knew they were airplane parts cuz the gal who tests them for the planes told me so and she saved them for me...they are from the planes that fight wild land fires. It is the part where the water goes through last as it exits the plane. I was very lucky to get them.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here is the first airplane planter grouted. I am pleased with the way it turned out.. I put orchid plants in it..

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!! Love the grout choice!!! It really makes the blues POP!!! Nice plant choice too!!!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Absolutely perfect grout color. WOW - what a beautiful planter. Aren't you proud?

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Slow and Jane...yes I am proud of them... grouting another today, hope to have a pic by this evening...I just love them...

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

What a great grout choice ...it makes the blue really stand out!!! Just love it girl!!!!!!!!!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, here is the next one...thank you all, so kind...this one still needs cleaning up more and sealer. And, maybe a japanese maple...

• texaswild
    14 years ago

You really turned some old parts into works of art, EMT. Those are absolutely wonderful.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Very Nice! A Maple will look great in that!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

WOW!! I just love how they turned out! You are so very creative with those tiles. Have the people at the tile store seen your work? I'm sure they would be impressed!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all...yes Squirrelly, they have. I sent them pics of the columns that I did. Will send these too...they are pretty big and quite heavy. Have one more to grout, gonna take a little break.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!