Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadel2

A Tale of Two Futures

meadel
15 years ago

Whew.. I never thought that I would finish this piece. I also submitted something for a Visual Texture contest. My fingers are bloody stumps and my finished piece really needed a good cleaning, but time was up! So here it is :

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (40)

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

So.... you're really into this art thing? That is just amazing. I didn't even know mosaic could look like that. Personally, I am just stunned by the skill level on this site. I'll be sure and post my work in oh... a decade or so! PJ

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow! I don't know what to say....this is absolutly the
    most amazing work of art! I can't even comment intelligently about it, I am that awestruck! Wow!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Oh Lori.... you are a true ARTIST!
    There is so much in your picture... textures... colors.... a story...
    Is the girl kind of 3-D? How did you do the words...? Lots of questions. :)
    It's really amazing!!!
    Katie

• hrsg
    15 years ago

This piece is just incredible. I would like to know more about the techniques, and thinking on the design.

The fact that it is a mosaic makes you a ground breaker from what I can tell just from looking at it.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

OMG....that is incredible work! WOW......I keep having to stare at different parts of it to get it all in and try to figure out how on earth you did this. This really is a work of art.......you've got to be proud of this...it is wonderful! I hear you about your fingers being stumps..etc....I could never be a hand model! I love your work!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well that's pretty amazing work, MEADEL, and I'm sure you know it. I'll bet you can't take your eyes off it. You KNOW you gotta explain it all to us. This is truly wonderful.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

That is just stunning. Please, tell us the story behind it. That is award-winning work.

• carolann_z8
    15 years ago

That is a true piece of art. You should be very proud.

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Holy dawg snot!! What?? Where?? I, I knew you had it in you, but da-haaannngg girl! I can't stop looking at it.
    I believe it ate your life. DANG!!

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

I am in shock,this is really really amazing! A real piece of art.More details please.Stunning work.

• siriusmosaics
    15 years ago

I've always been in awe of artists who can create scenes such as this in mosaic. Please do tell how you made this. I really like the brick building and the graffiti.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW, I'm not in Kansas anymore!!! This is OVER THE TOP!!! It is sooo fascinating, all the incredible details and there is something EVERYWHERE you look, that adds to your theme, like those gymnists that gotta use the whole floor space!! Okay, I'm rambling...I just can't believe what I am seeing!!! I'm not worthy, Oh Humble Master, to clean your worktable!!! Jane

• klinger
    15 years ago

Such a cool piece of art. It really strikes me with how unique it is. I've just never seen a mosaic project with these elements before.I'd love to know more about it. Is this a panel project, what was your inspiration etc?
    Cindy

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am humbled by your comments. Thank you so much. I write this with teary eyes as I had such trepidation when working on this.
    I don't even know where to start.. but I'll try.
    I was raised in a small town, in a large family. We didn't go out much I guess.

I remember vividly my first trip to Elizabeth,NJ. It's not a large city, but bigger than I had ever seen. My head arched up and back looking at all the "sky scrapers" I don't think that I had ever seen anything bigger than a 2 story!
    Then and after, I felt something in my solar plexus when ever I encountered real urban landscapes. I feel an empathy for those that have to endure that lifestyle. I cringe when the news comes on. I worry about the future of our planet. I am sure that I am not alone.
    The mosaic: Made on MDF sized 24 x 16. ( when I recover, I'l try to post some WIPS) I cut a hole in it and fit some clear glass inside for the GOG.( did that all day Monday)

The brick building was made from tiles of terra cotta polymer clay. I used glass for the widows ,even drilled a hole through one and the substrate to indicate "vandalism" maybe even by the girl with the cap on!

The second building: The ghostly skyscraper painted underneath glue chip.
    The third building.. ( almost looks inside out at certain angles) was made with textured glass and side wall from thinset. ( used masking tape to contain it.)

The wall: graffiti was printed out using graffiti fonts onto a textured background. I tore off what I wanted and glued it down to the MDF. I painted over it. Clear glass was then glued on to it. ( says surrender Dorothy)

The "alley" ahhh that was a challenge. I had several inserts..none worked. I was left with a "wall" from the tornado so I built up the edge with grout and poured resin over it. I did this yesterday at 4pm. Project was due by midnight.

I struggled with Dorothy's face. I made a lot of them. I did this yesterday morning.( her legs are glued to the wall, torso on the thinset wall and head in the alley) . I also grouted yesterday..

I think I started this on April 9th or so. I wish I had more time to complete what I wanted to do, but maybe without the deadline I never would have finished it at all. I am a very slow worker and do more in my head than with my hands..

Here is an excerpt of the story that goes with the pic:

Dorothy sat, contemplating the ruins of her world. War, corruption, and indifference had brought about a poverty not seen in decades. Not only the monetary kind of poverty, but one that brought desolation to the spirit of her people. As the powerful storm brewed behind her, floodwaters threatened to overwhelm the dam, a reminder of the destruction of Wicked Katrina's reign. Dorothy felt pulled to get off the wall. Utopia was right around the corner.

I think that this is the first in a series of them. I have so many more ideas splitting my head open!

Thank you again. You made me feel so...

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Lori, it is exquisite. Reading what you did to make this was amazing, and we know you're going to do wonderfully in any judging. It's just an extraordinary piece.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

THANK YOU, for explaining how you did this and especially for the story...you are a very talented writer, too!!
    I would LOVE to see you do a whole series in this vein and I bet there are art galleries around the world that would fight each other to display them! Seriously.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Lori,

I don't know what to say. I second third fourth what everyone has said. You are a true artist and this mosaic speaks directly from your heart. It is so fantastic, I can't even imagine this was made out of mosaic.

Thank you for the explanation and I'm going back to keep looking at this and finding all the fabulous pieces.

You should enter that into other contest too!!! I'd love to see your other works too!!!

Keep up the good work, you are inspiring to me and about a million others.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Oh Lori, thank you soooo much for explaining all that went into this amazing work of art! Congratulations!!!! I love the meaning and messages that it conveys. It is extraordinary and I really look forward to see what else you make along these lines - such an amazing array of techniques and so very UNIQUE!!! I think you have pulled out all the stops here!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Thank you for the story/explanation, Lori. Not only is it a spectacular mosaic... but it tells a story of life, hope, and expectation. I'm just in awe of it.. and of you.
    I hope...and EXPECT... that you will WIN that contest! :)
    Katie

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

I hope you're right Kate, cause if some moron picks PUSH! over Tale of Two Futures, I'll run and hide! LOL

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Girl every one said it all !!! You have a winner or some one is lost .

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Lori! I immediately thought that this will HAVE to have sequels!!! But never mentioned it, and like everyone says, thanks for the story behind it! Jane

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The best prize has been the response from you all. NOTHING can beat that.
    I am not easily led to tears, but as I read this post they are falling freely from my eyes. Thanks again , It means so much to me to hear this from you all , whom I admire so much.

Quoting Dorothy, " You're the best friends a girl can ever have" !!!

(p.s.. PJTexgirl, you better post your stuff or I'll send the flying monkeys. )

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I too am in awe over this project, it belongs in an art gallery along with your story....incredible is all I can say!!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh how I wish I could see this in person. I had your explanation and the post on hold at the same time, and w/switch back and forth to compare the explanation w/the photo. What an artist!!! Wish I could see whatever NT is referring to "Push". Must be another entry. Can't wait to read the results of your entry, MEADEL. When you starting the next one, huh, huh, huh????? Today??? You KNOW we'll be waiting not so anxiously for it, and I so look forward to your WIPs on this one as well as the next in the series.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Not the flying monkeys!!
    I'll probably post my third project or so. I posted my first project on TX gardening forum so it's not THAT bad. PJ

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Lori,

OMG...this is truly awesome...I have goosebumps looking at it and reading your story. Words can't explain what I am feeling as I look at this. It is truly amazing and so are you...can't wait to see more.

Becky

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

OMG....looked your entry over thoroughly - felt compelled to do so, it holds the eye so well....after reading this thread, I am in absolutel AWE of it. Yes, yes, please do a series!! Your talent absolutely screams to be recognized and appaluded by the world in a gallery! Thank you for sharing it with us here and there....

NT, I'm with you, no way can my entry be compared to this masterpiece!

Pat

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ah, come'on guys, you're killing me!
    It's probably just a fluke, You guys are the ones with real talent!
    ( I'm serious) I can point out a multitude of flaws in this.
    I wish you all here could see the amazing entry's into that contest. I am blown away by them. ( I could barely look at them,because I was so intimidated by the talent there that I was not going to submit mine)
    I am so grateful for these amazing compliments. Again, THAT to me is the best prize . ( I'm serious )

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

I'd love to see this one in person, so much to examine. The graffiti is WONDEROUS!!!! You are my pick for the Visual Texture, and I think Daydream's tree is my favor for Movement...

But since our judges aren't artists, who really can guess what they'll appreciate. At least the feedback indicates they are struggling with the decisions huh? at 6:00 pm mountain time today, judging closes so I guess we'll get news after that hey?

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

"I could barely look at them,because I was so intimidated by the talent there that I was not going to submit mine"

Honestly, I think most people feel this way. I totally understand. It was brave of you to go ahead and submit your work :) PJ

• PantherFL
    15 years ago

I loved reading how you accomplished this, it really is wonderful. You must be going crazy with the contest site down... or is it just me that can't get in?

• cadonna
    15 years ago

Nope panther, it's down for all. I'm sure it'll be up soon. Carl's on it!!

• cait1
    15 years ago

Lori, this is freaking AMAZING!!!! This Noo Yawka bows to your talent. Who knew a humble gal from Joisey was such an incredible artist?! LOL The artwork and story are GREAT!! You deserve all the praise everyone's given you.
    Immense. That's the word I keep thinking; your creation is immense.

• PantherFL
    15 years ago

I've been looking at this piece off & on for days, and every time I get something new from it. I will be looking forward to the new pieces in the series.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

OK, I'm so intrigued and want to know how THIS piece did, since it is so extraordinary, Lori. Do you have results yet? I wish I knew more about the competition itself, and it's fustrating not to know how your piece did. I'm sure you'll post here......I just want you to know I'm out here waiting to find out. It's just so great a piece of art, Lori.

• platebreaker
    15 years ago

This is really a thought provoking work of art. I love the suggestion of perplexity in the way Dorothy's head is tilted. Really nicely done - brava! It is very reminiscent of one of my favorite artists, Patricia Helsing (she passed away late last year, such a profound loss of talent and a really wonderful person).....You may like to take a look at her work, as she could certainly inspire you!

http://users.starpower.net/artistdc/preview.htm

I would love to see more of your work - love it love it!

Jane (from NJ - and knows Elizabeth NJ well)

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I didn't win a ring saw , but I did get something worth more than that. Your compliments gave me such a incredible boost of self confidence that it encourages me to continue. I just hope I can live up to it all !
    Thank you all so very,very much.

(Platebreaker, One of our members is also a fan of Patricia Helsing, I had seen the stringbean series and love it, thanks for the link. I got goose-bumps on a few of them! )

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

hey ya all, just so you know. This piece was ranked in the top 3 by 3 of the judges. Thats nothing to sneeze at

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Well, Lori, you might not have won a skillsaw, but you know you won our hearts.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County