Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasusanna

King Crete

bamasusanna
16 years ago

Ok, SLOW. Here it is. I finished the concrete a few days ago. I had to lay it down to dry and the plastic pulled a few small spots off of the back, so I gotta fix it.

It is heavier than I thought it'd be, so it's not going to be a sconce like I had intended. I'll stick it in a flower bead with rebar to keep it upright. I still plan on putting a light inside, but I decided against doing the cut outs for the eyes.

Hopefully I can get to mosaic it this weekend. I plan on doing the crown with mirror and colored glass.

Oh, I made the hearts with the leftover concrete...

Comments (40)

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW!!! How cool is that!!!! Love the hearts too! Oh it looks good already, keep posting your wip's!!!

• Mermaid
    16 years ago

King Crete!!! LOL, how perfect, don't be surprised if King Crete wants a regal garden to stand in!!! and maybe a Queen too!!!
    Great job!!!!

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Have to post here too! Love King Crete!

• meadel
    16 years ago

Oh Bama he is just regal! ( reminds me of the King of Hearts!)
    He is already fantastic, I can't wait to see more!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Long live the King! He's awesome!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yeeehaw - he looks WOWIE good. We think alike. I glued mirror on my tiara yesterday and mosaiced over half the project, and that sucker is heavy. Of course I don't like what I've done, but I'm not changing it. I HAVE to hang mine cuz I didn't make a neck for it to sit on. No name yet - hope one comes to me soon. Soooooo anxious to see what you do w/yours.

• cait1
    16 years ago

Awesome! Can't wait for you to start mosaicing him.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Blown away....! Spectacular!

• doone
    16 years ago

Coooooooool! Great job!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

I see you decided not to wait on me! Good for you! I'm liking His Royal Creteness! Looking forward to The Emperor's New Tessarae :)

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I can't even imagine how it will look finished. Can't wait to see it.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Oh Bama can't wait to see what you do with the outside of him,your crete turned out great.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've made a little bit of progress! I went over it with another thin layer of concrete to smooth him out. While I was at it, I added a little bit more brow and some lips.
    Today I finished the crown. I'm not sure what to do next.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, BAMA - that's a wonderful design on the crown. I knew you'd come up s/something spectacular. Love the color combo - the brown is very masculine, and of course goes so well w/the blue. Features are more defined. I REALLY like this and am anxious to see what you do next.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Bama - this is WONDERFUL!!! LOVE how you've done the features and the crown! The brown and blue combo really is working....I'm lined up with slow to see what you do with him next!

Pat

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

BAMA

I love his crown!! Totally regal and the colors are PERFECT!! So we are anxiously awaiting what you do next.

I love the indents you did for his eyes mouth etc. looks like a famous Easter Island or other fantastic sculpture!!!

You go girl!!!

• sbtexas
    15 years ago

I'm with the others - the colors you used are perfect for the crown, and the eyes and mouth really added to it. Can't wait to see what else you do!

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

I like it!!! Blue and amber are one of my favorite color mixes. PJ

• cait1
    15 years ago

WhooooWeeeeee!! He's looking GREAT!! He looks a bit more 'human' now with the brows, etc. I can't wait for the 'next' pic, either!

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Fantastic crown Bama!!!I love the colors and design too, blue wine bottle eyes like Slows would sure look good with your color combo,but what you so will be outstanding I'm sure.I love it.We're going to Puerto Vallarta next week so mines on the back burner til I get back ...you guys are way ahead of me as usual.Love all you diamonds on the crown.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Crackpot: Try and get to the botanical garden tour, it's sooo awesome!!
    Bama: LOVE his crown!, as soon as I saw him I had a vision of half closed eyes, you know, with the eyelids lower on top, to give him real expression, not sure if I'm explaining myself but it's just a thought...Whatever you end up doing is surely gonna be amazing! 3D is sooo fun!

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

Ya know, he looks quite pleased with himself.
    And like, "I ain't worried, mon. Whatever the Bam does is cool wit' me."

;)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

LOVE that crown!! Great color combo and those diamonds are to die for!
    I like Jane's idea of heavy lidded eyes... add a mona lisa smile and he'd look wise but with a sense of humor!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

LOL oh thanks LadyR, now he's Jamaican in my mind. Bama, please don't give jason dreads! LOL

I love his crown and I can't wait to see what you make of his face

• texaswild
    15 years ago

The feeling I get is "Oh I wonder what she'll do to my face?" It's exciting to await his personality, so get ON W/IT GIRLIE. We're dying here!!!! Wish I knew what "jason dreads" means, NT. CRACK - get a bus to Bucerias to buy the Lady of G tiles - Couldn't find them in PV. It's a fun little town w/a small street market, and a wonderful restaurant on the beach. I think the whole bld. was yellow. Interesting beach tesserae too, that doesn't exist in PV.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks yall.
    Slow, NY is referring to Jasons (on American Idol) hair. He has dreadlocks.
    I had to work yesterday, but today I'm off and headed upstairs to my work table. Hope I can accomplish something today!

• yell_rose
    15 years ago

It's looking great! Can't wait to see the progress. Are you going to enter it in the texture contest? Will you tell me the name of that site? I'm done a search and can't find it. Yellow

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

YELLOW: If you type in "Mosaic visual texture contest" in google, that should bring it up.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, finally finished him today.
    I ended up doing simple eyes. Keeps him comical.
    Doesn't he look like he's scared of that daisy? Maybe he has alergies!! LOL

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

do you crack up at his expression every time you look at him. He makes me giggle - the pursed lips maybe... FABULOUS!!!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Bama, I love him!!! He is hysterical!!! You are going to find people smiling and gigling whenever they come across his domain!!

The setting is magical!! Is that in your backyard?? I hear a creek and a waterfall. And those flowers in the foreground. So cool soo sooo cool. You did great!! You girls are going to have to send pix to Riana. By gosh, I wish I could have gone to that workshop!!!
    Still i wouldn't have come up with anything as cool !!!

All I can say, is another Perfect work.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sent an email and pic to Riana tonight and have already received a reply! She's pleased with him and hopes I continue to make more. We'll see.

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

I already commented over there but oh he makes me smile,I really do love him.Hope that flower doesn't make him sneeze.ahhhhhhh-cho!
    So cool Bama!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

This is absolutely WONDERFUL - I'm laughing OUT LOUD here. PERFECT. WHAT AN EXPRESSION. I'll bet Riana IS pleased w/this one. Too funny!!! Love where you placed him. What w/you plant inside?

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I like how you've kept his face cement. It really highlights the blingy of the crown! And his expression, well, it's just perfect!

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

It is perfect! LOL! PJ

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I love him!!! His expression is sooooo funny, you're right he looks terrified of the daisys! I waaaana do one! I'll put it on my list....lol

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

He is Perfect Bama! Oh how I wish I had been there with Ya'll, what a party you had!!! His expression is priceless!!! And I love the crown all grouted, the mirror is so nice!!! Also looks like he's saying, I can't back up more for the pic, I'll fall in!!!heh heh!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, he is a delight! I adore his eyes! His crown is wonderful. You must adore him out there!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

I love him! You did a fabulous job and the setting is perfect. Love your pond. Post more pics of your yard, you've seen mine, show me yours. You make me want to put one of those on my list of things to do.
    Keep up the good work.
    Carol

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert