Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Advice on repairing these antique leaded glass cabinet doors, pls

pudgybaby
12 years ago

Hi - this is my first post in this forum. I post a little in some of the other forums, though.

I bought these 3 antique leaded glass doors off of craigslist. They are really beautiful, but need a fair amount of work. The glass is broken in about 1/2 of the panes. It is antique glass with slight waviness and imperfections. The caming on one of the doors is bent in a bit (it looks like someone stepped on it - I saw what looked like part of a shoe footprint on it). But otherwise the caming appears to be in good shape, no cracks and the joints are still joined. The wood (cherry?) is in very good shape, the frames are strong and square. Each door also has half of the original brass catch, all in good working condition.

These doors are large: 4 ft by 2 ft. We don't have specific plans for them, but would like to use them in a built-in for our family room. They may be too big, though. Our house is a traditional style 2-story built in 1975 in a Denver suburb, so nothing special.

I would like to get these doors repaired by someone (I have never done any stained glass work) but I am afraid it will be very expensive. Is it possible to find an artist/craftsman that would take this on, or do I need to go to a company that does this type of repair work? Any guesstimate on what this might cost? I may just end up re-selling them, but they are so pretty!

Thanks for your help!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling