Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

I need help with varnishes ! (pics)

toomuchglass
12 years ago

Hi Everybody ! I know where the experts hang out .....

that's why I came here to ask about my 6 year old project !!! Yep -- 6 years . How embarrassing. Long, long ago - I had a brilliant idea to make a full size wishing well for my backyard. I wanted each side to be framed with wood & mosaiced in the center. I even sponge painted the wood to look like stone. Well - here I am , wanting to finish it - but not make it into a wishing well . I just thought I'd hang the panels on my fence. * NOW * I know wood doesn't do good outside in WI ... but I didn't think of that when I was making it. Now I'm just trying to save it and display it somehow. It's in various stages of completion . I don't know what to use to give it a good seal - plus not yellow. I'm willing to give it 100 coats if that's what it takes ! Here's pictures of each panel . I just HAVE to get this done - I start out good , but never seem to finish *sigh*

The first one is totally finished - the next only needs grout .:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

These two are almost done ....

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Any suggestions ???? As always ---- thank you so much !!

Comments (6)

• loribee2
    12 years ago

These are absolutely beautiful! I really love the way you did the panels and the faux finish on the "frame". They're absolutely gorgeous!

As for your question, I have no idea! Sorry! I keep hearing you don't want to use wood on anything outside as it can warp and crack the mosaic. What about hanging them up in the spring after the rainy weather, then bringing them in before winter hits? Of course, I'm assuming your summers are like mine here in CA where once you get past spring, there's really no chance of rain again until fall. I don't know if WI is similar.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WI is awful ! The weather changes in a blink of an eye. We definatly get the 4 seasons here. Summer can be wet or hot - it's anybody's guess ! I have to admit -- I started making these before I knew that wood doesn't do well outside. I hate to waste them . I just don't know what to do with them now !

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Do you have a spot where they could go under eaves, or under a covered patio? I think the only problem is moisture, not cold (if that helps!).

I do have some decorative wooden panels I made out of chip board, which is not supposed to be weather resistant. They are stained and carved (hard to explain). I made them as sort of artsy panels to go along my fence, and I'm not sure how many years I'll get out of them. But I covered them with several coats of varithane. They've gone through one hot summer and a stormy winter and haven't shown the slightest wear. I was careful to get lots of coats on the edge where the board is cut, as from what I understand, that's where the moisture will seep in.

I wouldn't know if they've warped, though, because I didn't mosaic them. And I believe that's your big culprit.

Are you sure there's nowhere to keep them inside? They're so pretty! I could see them on a wall somewhere, in a kitchen or bath. It would be such a shame to see them damaged after so much effort has been put into making them. You've done an absolutely beautiful job on them.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I had room inside the house for them. They're 3 ' x 3 feet and HEAVY . After thinking about it - I guess i'll just put a million coats of polyurathane on them & keep them out just for summer. This makes me wish I had a bigger house to display my stuff !
    Thanks for the replies :)

• phish_gw
    12 years ago

put out just in the summer. I have a few things like that. Even some of my non-wood items are not tough enough for winter so I bring those in too.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Spar varnish, or another varnish that is used on boats. If wood can last on a boat, it should last in your yard!
    May need to revarnish every few years.
    Pics are no longer here, Id love to see.
    Kathy

Sponsored