Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

ring saw and plates, for the curious

nicethyme
17 years ago

Okay, 1st let me say that cutting plates with a ring saw is slow and tedious going so it's not a time saver and you would never want to replace your nippers with this. It's only for more intricate shapes.

I think it was Lyndalu that asked for more info and pics when we talked about the heart charms. So here's my little tutorial

this is the paper hearts glued down on the plates as patterns

{{!gwi}}

here's the cutting, very very slowly tracing around the pattern. You can't feed it hard or you jam up the blade.

{{!gwi}}

I cut them out and drop them in water to dissolve the glue and remove the paper and dust

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (28)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm sending curbdriver the centers, so after cutting all the edges up, I used the circle cutter to clean them up.

it's just a plastic circle with a small peg, stuck on with double stick tape. You cut in to the outer edge of what you want then stick the peg into the grid and spin the plate as it cuts.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

and here are the results of my labor, ready to ship out to TMG and Curb.

{{!gwi}}

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So Curb, I got your email with your address and Toomuch - can you email me yours? info@candaceclough.com

• suz_craft
    17 years ago

Thank you for sharing this Nicethyme. I saved this page so I can refer to it easily when I get this far. I've been wondering how to do this kind of thing! Suz

• squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

Well, that is just the coolest thing! I've never used a ring saw before but you sure get a lot of use out of it. That circle cutter is just the neatest invention. I WANT A RING SAW NOW!! I think they are a little on the pricey side for me, but I have a birthday coming up, now if I could just hint to family and friends they could all pool their money.........hmmm

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I Sent you my address . Great photos .... I Have to say I never knew about the circle cutter. ( and I thought I knew or had everything !) LOL Where'd you get it ? Was it expensive ?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was in the accessories kit for the II.2 - mostly stuff for stained glass work like lamp beveler and such. I use the circle cutter, face shield and spotlight.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

WOW!!! I love those hearts! And the circle cutter! I'll have to get one for my taurus 3.

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

!!!!!! Every time I think you have finished surprising me you do it again!!!!! I cannot believe you have the patience to cut all those hearts out...then to actually finish the plates with that perfect edge....you must have a different blade then I do, I swear mine would not hold up to what you have put yours through! You are definitely the best when it comes to the ring saw!!

Do you cut in all directions with your saw??? I noticed with mine that I can tell the difference in the sharpness of the blade by switching directions.

Great job those are so pretty....I love them. Hey was your table auction today???

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the pics on the ring saw. My aunt just bought a ring saw. We are taking our 1st stained class next week. She received 2 cd's with it & gave me one to look at so we can tackle the ring saw together. I have the perfect dishes I want to practice on. She even bought the circle cutter. I already emailed her & told her I want to come over & play! I sent over this post - I'm going to get her posting on here yet!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Well if you don't beat all. I'm amazed at your talent and the ideas you come up with. I'm glad to see this thread cuz I always have trouble following my black marker line when the water covers it up. The paper pattern w/be so much easier to cut around. Many thanks for this tip. You'll be teaching or writing books someday. Yeah, how about the auction?????

• hrsg
    17 years ago

Dang! Now that is impressive! Add another tool I need to my list.

• Bright199
    17 years ago

I haven't posted over here lately cuz I'm not doin to good at finishing anything, but I check in daily. I have to post on this though. Called DH(not dear today!!) over to look cause I am soo impressed with what you've done. But to no avail..he's not even interested in how much $$. I will be stashing $$ it will take awhile but one day. You are very talented lady!!! Thanks for the step by step.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Ooh la la!!! Isn't that ever a clever tool!?!?! You are so good at getting us all excited over nifty stuff. This I could use for sure. It's wonderful to see what the tools do. Thanks for taking the time.

bright199,
    My DH just said not to get attached to the idea as he walked by and saw this post. Guess we'll but be stashing $$ in our sock drawer! Oh, and it is only normal for mosaicers to have a minimum of 3 projects on the go at a time, so you're OK!! :O)

• klinger
    17 years ago

Wow, I love how you turned that plate into those hearts and then the circle. It was cool to see how that saw works. How long does it take you to do one plate like that?
    Cindy

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

nice, yes it was me who asked you to share information about this. Thank you soooooooo much. Thank you for taking the pictures and explaining. That's very helpful.

I had no clue. You're opening up a whole new world for me.

The ring saw looks like it works similar to a scroll saw (which I use for wood) - is that correct? And I do the same thing with the paper patterns on the wood. I don't know how many times I've said to people...I wish there was something like a scroll saw that I could use on plates!!

And I imagine there are different types of blades - and you would use a different blade for plates (different than the ones you use for glass)?

Thanks again, nice....that was very helpful. And look how MANY people you helped! I thought maybe I was the only one that didn't know about this wondrous tool. :)

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I Have both - a glass bandsaw AND a ring saw. I'm trying to make room so I can keep each one out for use. The bandsaw is awesome ... cuts just like one that does wood.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Glad this post is helpful and I want to say it's just an example of how I do this, remember I'm a newbie at it. I'm sure some of you ole hats are better at this than I!
    Time wise, I started at 2:30 and finished up at 5:00, 3 plates yeilding 41 small pieces, 14 larger pieces and 3 centers. And I finally wore out one of those spinning grommets.

The auction is this coming weekend, the table will be displayed in the main lobby all week for everyone to see. I wrote up the little story for each child and included their original picture and a picture collage of the table as a keepsake. (also thought it might cause a few more parents to attend the auction!) On the flyer they listed it as the "Safari Stained Glass Mosaic Table" I thought that was neat!

Chickee, I definately notice the blade gets quite dull after cutting plates for sure! and yes I have a bad habit of continually cutting in one direction and wearing that side down. So I do try to use all sides as I work but I think it's like being right handed - you alway resort back to your perferred movement without thinking.

Slow, I did the black marker when I did the mushrooms for DD's door (trying to save myself a step) and I saw that the blade and water chew away the mark well ahead of the cut. At least with paper, even if I run it over abit I still have the whole shape to follow. So while it's time consuming, totally worth it.

I think it was right about November last year when I "consulted" Dh on his knowledge of tools. "hey, what do you thing a ring saw is? I see the girls on the forum talk about it..." So he googled it to find out and there it was at Christmas. So I may have used his love of buying new tools abit but hey! LOL

• tasymo
    17 years ago

THAT's the way to do it, Nicethyme! If your Hubby thinks it's HIS idea, he's more likely to get that fancy tool for you! Mine likes to get me tools as gifts, that way he know he'll get to use 'em too! Wonderful demo, too Nice. I can't wait to see what Toomuch does with the hearts! Be sure to post pics of the finished charms!! I've got a couple of those plates, with scenes of Scotland in the center. I just don't have the heart to break, or cut 'em...

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

Nice,I've been wondering about a glass saw but have stuck to my wet saw so far.i can cut big hearts with it but not like you have done..Guess I'll be looking for one.Thanks Annie

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Nicethyme, nice demo. I can't wait to see the completed hearts!
    Slow and Nice, to avoid the marks coming off your glass when cutting with the ring saw, I mark my glass with a Sharpie marker or paint marker I then top it with Mark II Stay. I understand you can also use a stick of chapstick. I just dip my finger in the jar of Mark II Stay and dab over my markings. It really helps. Occassionally they will still come off but it is rare. I love my Taurus 3 ring saw.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Wow nicethyme great hearts!! I don't have much room, so I'm debating the one "tool" that I would use most. The ring saw is so far at the top of the list!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

D3bbi, where do ya get it? sounds great!

I am so excited to see how these are transformed by our very own Toomuch! DD asked tonight how they will look and I showed her TMG's broken china jewelry here and a bunch of pendants and charms on Ebay, she's so excited now! I'll need to search down some nice gold chains to make these on and maybe some blue cobalt beads... and... lol Dh says they'll be too heavy to wear! lol I'm fairly sure they'll live in the firebox as keepsakes accept for special occasons.

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

I got my markstay at my local stained-glass store.

nice-I've been practicing going the other directions with my taurus and I am getting better at it. I'm being cheap and want to get my moneys worth before I change blades. Can't wait till next weekend and your auction!!!

TMG- I would love to have a glass band saw...how lucky you are that you have both!!!

• LinLee
    17 years ago

What, may I ask, is the difference or advantage of the
    ring saw as opposed to the glass band saw?
    If you could only buy 1, which would it be and why?
    Linlee
    (big aspirations...little pocketbook)

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Nice, you can buy the Mark Stay at stained glass shops. Many of the online stores carry it too. One little jar will last a long time. If you don't have a shop nearby I would try to chapstick - the original one that is very waxy. Basically, I think what you are after is a fine layer of wax on top of your ink.

chickee, what I've learned about my saw is to go reeeeal slow. Sometimes I still grind glass to smooth out edges that I didn't cut well.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linlee, I'm going to guess the difference is that band saw's have one cutting edge on the blade and while you can probably use it like a scroll saw, you could bind it up by turning your piece to quickly. It looks more powerful and faster than my ring saw (more dollars too)

On a ring saw, the blade is a diamond coated wire that cuts with all sides so you can't bind it up easily, You can turn your piece in any direction and continue your cut. I think it likely gives a more intricate cutting abilty, albeit slower.

Jane and TMG have both so maybe they can correct me.

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I'm going to get mine out & report about it .

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Lets not loose this thread!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the result of the hearts...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022