Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jeannie's Village Church

Posted by slowmedown (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 19:12

My best friend Jeannie is in the process of preparing a new bed to accommodate the "Garden Area Rug" I gave her for Christmas. She has plans of making four little houses to go around the "Rug" - as the Town "Square". Her DH w/light each house and eventually run a garden railroad through the area. His train room is almost as big as my house so he KNOWS trains. Jeannie has gotten him interested in garden trains. Oh the web we women weave. I couldn't help but make the first building, for lack of other ideas. She's a consumate gardner, and now builds garden art w/the Riana technique. Working w/small things in this technique is extremely difficult, so excuse the rusticity and primitiveness of my efforts.
Jeannie's Village Church

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jeannie's Village Church

It looks wonderful! I love the "stones" and the sg windows are awesome!

o

Thanks, WACKY. I was so hoping the tess gives the simblance of stones. Cutting the corners off every shard wasn't fun.

o

Yes it is looking great!!!I would love to make one of those.

o

So cool! Yes, nipping each and every corner off every shard is so much trouble, but it sure was worth it. The tess look like old worn rounded cornered stones.

o

How cute is that! How big is it? I bought a magazine at a thrift store last year that was all about Garden trains!!! What an amazing cool thing!!!

o

Thanks, y'all. I'm sure having fun w/it. Got all the white "stones" on plus three windows covered. Going out today to a couple surplus stores to look for roofing materials. Searched the net for miniature roofing tiles, but found nothing. Have no idea what I'll put on the roof yet. SILVA - thank you for that. I cheated on some corners yesterday. I should have tumbled them. There were some tumbled pieces from Flag's studio contents. I should have bought her cement mixer. CALAM. Jeannie is gonna hit me for sure. I asked her how big her bldgs w/be and she said "oh, about a foot tall". Uh huh. Y'all know how hard it is for me to work small. This sucker is LARGE, but I figure for the garden it had to be a bit large. Jeannie tells me laughingly that in order for me to make ANYTHING the right size, I should start w/about six inches. It's 19" tall from floor to roof, then the cross tower is another 11". It's 9" wide and 15 1/2" long. She's gonna hit me for sure. I just can't work smaller than that. She'll have to deal w/it. 'scuz my arrogance, but I know she'll love it.

o

OMG Who wouldn't love it! I'm always amazed at your creations. This one certainly doesn't disappoint!!

o

Bowing in thanks, CHINA. Here's today's progress. Didn't get started until 3:30ish - ran all over town looking for roofing, and last stop was good ole Lowes. Can always count on them. The tiles look just like roofing material - speckled. I've slightly overlaped them. I have mini lights inside to show the mess I made of the windows. I put sheets of textured irridized glass between the two layers of lath. Thought I could get away w/o cutting the lath on the inside. Oh no - what a mistake. I also had planned to put the glass on the inside, but it proved to be too difficult, so the textured irridized glass was wasted. I then had to tilt/prop the structure on its side so I could see through to the light, go underneath and try to match the holes - NOT - DIDN'T. I also left my pointed blade tin snips in PV, and came back and mistakenly bought round-nosed snips. Talk about a problem. THEREFORE I missed the mark on the windows. I learn from every project, so I'm not crying TOO much. I'm disappointed, but hey - I have my license remember?? I'm old and impaired - LOL.
Village Church Update

o

Well I think it looks great!!!

o

Thanks, NANA. You always make me feel good about everything.

o

Oh Slow!!! How cool to see it lit up!!! On my castle I just glued/siliconed the glass for the windows onto the structure.(for the stained glass look you did, I woulda used a peice of clear glass with stained glass gog'd to it) This is so adorable!!! I love that it is a church!!! Those roof tiles look perfect! Sheesh! Now you got me interested in making one of these!ha! I just love stuff that is lit up at night! I sure hope we get to see pics of the garden when it goes in there! I can't imagine anyone having a more amazing garden than YOURS tho!!!heh heh!

o

Thanks, CALAM. I tried that on the little round window, but the inside is so uneven the glass wouldn't fit flush, and I thought it's be easy to apply it from the outside. I've made so many mistakes w/this project, but I've finished tiling it, and I'm hoping the grout w/cover some of the awfuls. IF I get around to making one for myself, I'll know how to avoid the pitfalls. I'm anxious to finish it and get it out of the way. I've been asked by a member of one of a group of churches downtown who are starting a Community Garden to feed the poor. They are uncovering lots of shards, found objects, rocks etc., and w/like to use them to go into whatever I make. I'm soooooo anxious to start. I've decided I'll make either a small bench or a couple simple armless chairs, and design a little sitting area for rest while they weed and work on the garden.
Ready for Grout

o

LUV LUV LUV this!!! So does Richard! Love the red, it just POPS! And the open door...so inviting! Come in and dwell with me! AMEN!!!

o

You always make me smile, CALAM. Going to Jeannie's this morning - am anxious to see where this little number w/soon reside. Hope I can wait until her b.d. to give it to her - at the end of this month.

o

Oh this is so cute, Jane told me to come have a look cause she admired it so much. It is wonderful and big is good cause then you can see it. too small and it would be lost. It will look so nice it up in a garden setting, can't wait to see it done and in place.

o

Thanks, KLINGER. I'm glad you agree that it has to be larger than ..... When Jeannie showed me the site where the village w/be I was glad I made it larger than what she proposes to make the rest of the bldgs. I grouted it and the courtyard yesterday. Have to wait for Juan to place the church on the floor/courtyard, cuz I want to put some little pots w/succelents in them to finish it off. Then, I'll call Jeannie to bring Bill to pick it up - just can't wait 'till May 30. I need my work table anyway - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

o

So wheres the grouted pic!!?? Im obsessing about a mini Cleo!!!

o

Hey, girlie. I figured I'd wait until tomorrow after Juan places it over the floor and I get the little pots on. Pictures tomorrow evening for sure. Re a mini Cleo - what's wrong w/a life-size one? Shea has requested a pink flamingo for her garden. Think I can do that? I have light pink dishes. I'm just not all that good about sculptures, but come tomorrow, I'm gonna give it a try. Been doing a little gardening, and now that I'm almost finished, w/start another lath/concrete project. I bought cement and sand - got tired of using mortar mix - just doesn't give a smooth finish.

o

Even tho I have 1/2acre...I seem to have a small yard!!! So am gonna try a mini one...who knows where it will lead me! Especially since seeing Rianna doing an arch! That was very inspiring! I just have a very weird layout in my yard cuz of the slopes. This year I have to figure out retaining walls...just to make it managable. And paths...just to access the yard. Right now you have to be part mountain goat to get around on my property. And I don't have thousands of dollars to pour into landscaping brick. May even try some lath/wire retaining walls...hmmm

o

We'll be looking forward to your mini Cleo w/much anticipation. I worked Juan for three hrs. today, and as a result - I was too tired to plant the succulents into the little pots on the church courtyard. Not sure I like the pots. I'll let Jeannie decide whether or not to use them. Glad to be finished w/this project, cuz I'm already working on the pink flamingo.
Jeannie's Village Church Finished

o

ADORABLE!!!! I think the pots are too big and it would look better without cuz it is so nice, why add the pots?! (Just my opinion...and you know...opinions are like bellybuttons...everybodys got one!)It is so adorable lit up! I would look forward to the evening everynight, just to see that lit up! I just LOVE lit up stuff! Is the base attached? Even a church floor...niiice!I hope she builds a berm for this to sit upon, to overlook the town/village!

o

I have the pots planted up, and w/give them to her to put wherever she likes - maybe somewhere else in the village. I'll tell her your suggestion of the berm - excellent idea. Thanks, CALAM.

o

Turn out so pretty!!!! I love it!!

o

I love it. Fabulous lit up with the windows.
Incredible job. Almost makes me want trains. I guess I can have a village without trains.
Kathy

o

Thanks, you two. Yes, CONCRETE - why NOT make yourself a village? When I get a few more things done, I'm gonna start one for myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here