Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of grout????????

Posted by azcactusflower (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 18:42

OK, ladies, I went to Home Depot to get the grout I needed for my gazing ball. The guy asked me,"What do you want" Sanded, unsanded, premixed, dry and what color?" I knew what color, BUT the rest was GREEK to me!!! So PLEEEEEESE ladies, WHAT DO I WANT?????? This newbie needs your wisdom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of grout????????

You want sanded dry grout. premixed is too runny or whatever and more expensive than hetting dry and mixing your own, and there are very few applications for unsanded grout and its nasty to work with.

o

I use Mapei sanded grout with polymer on everything. I buy it at Lowes. One caution: the wrong color grout can ruin the look of your piece so take care in choosing the right one. It's hard to say what rules to follow ... It seems to me that an off-white looks good only with delicate colors and styles such as flowered plate pieces, whereas black and charcoal look best with stronger colors, and I like the pale sand color with just about everything. If you already have several colors of grout on hand, you can drop in some dry grout among your tess and get an idea of what the grouted piece will look like.

o

Azcactusflower: Do you live in a town where they have a specialty flooring store? There is such a thing as "outdoor" grout, used for the application of outdoors, but as to where you live, it may not be as needed as here where I am(rain/freeze/crack) but def sanded, def dry, and you can't go wrong with grey, then add your own color with acrylic paint, I'm saying this cuz you will only need about 2 cups of grout for a bowling ball.> Slow and I buy grout in the 25lb bags now...heh heh!(addicts!). You may or may not wish to seal this, therefore there is grout sealer(also I use outdoor sealer)

o

CALAM - I buy 50-lb bags of mortar, and as large a bag as possible in grout.... I just got back from Lowes - bought four sheets of diamond lath - gonna begin work on the animal bench/planter similar to the one I worked on in PV that Riana made, and RATS - this reminds me - I forgot to buy mortar - out of gray and only have white. Think I can add some black grout to it to make it gray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here