Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you remove mosaic from wood piece?

Posted by mangomoon (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 18:28

I have an architectural wood piece, actually two wood pieces put together to form a beautiful wall hanging. I want to remove the mosaic from the center (measures about 8" x 10") entirely, sand and paint the entire piece and fashion a mirror from it instead. I have tried chipping away at the tiles and trying to pry them off from underneath. I managed to remove 1/8 of the entire small area, but I find it to be a lot of work. Any other way to remove it entirely?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you remove mosaic from wood piece?

Screwdriver underneath and a hammer is my only suggestion. Picture w/help.

o

try a little squeeze of water at the edge of the tiles and perhaps it will soften the glue and then you can take Slow's suggestion and use the screwdriver and hammer at an angle (almost horizontal). Since you are covering the area with mirror any boo boos won't show. Good luck

o

A friend of mine came over and made the job easy for me. He was able to pry the architectural piece that was originally placed on a wood plaque, then painted to look all like one piece. This was the part I was after. The mosaic was on bottom wood plaque. I don't know why I didn't think of this in the beginning and therefore wasted time trying to pry off the tiles, while getting a dry grout facial at the same time !

These older architectural pieces like corbels and cornices are sold for a lot of money on eBay, and I wanted to save it badly, so I know I will be able to place it on another wood plaque in the future and make my mirror project.

Thanks for the water tip. I never gave that any thought. If I run into this situation again I will give it a try. Thanks again:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here