Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

what in the heck did I get myself into???

nicethyme
17 years ago

so I volunteered to mosaic a table for my DD's auction item and my idea was to use the kids art as patterns that I'm cutting out of glass.

would you know - that class is one of the largest in the school. 16 drawings, just cutting them out of paper was a chore, now the ring saw... uh WHAT WAS I THINKING!? send me "get through it" vibes! LOL

Comments (57)

• diytrying
    17 years ago

Bless you!

• shrty411
    17 years ago

You are the ONE person here that can pull this off!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OH man! 8 down, 8 to go. Don't ya know the better drawings were the most detailed! my own dd gave her tiger striped legs (I was thinking, Thank Gawd she didn't stripe it's tail!) We're talking eyelashes on some of these. I now have a better appreciation for the "lesser artists" one's that only drew a head! LOL

Chickee, I haven't changed my blade yet since I got it at Christmas. But I haven't used it all that much. I forced myself to nip everything on your bowl except the frog. Certainly I notice it's cutting slower, especially after cutting plates but I'm trying hard not to change it till I absolutly can't cut anymore.

Annie, yep I use it for shapes. The lobster and leaves on my recent door and those circles on my blue mirror. It's really too fun to draw a picture, cut it out and glue it on the glass. Then cut out the glass and wah lah! it's too cool to see the kids drawings reproduced in glass!

Slow I agree, I'm hoping to create a local mosaicing buddy or two! LOL and I'm also hoping this table will be something that can be part of an adult's decor rather than a child's. (they'll pay more for it if they can see it working in their house furnishings) Some projects sell for thousands of dollars each year... I've got high hopes.

It will be something of a foyer table or sofa back table - the high and long type, another parent is getting it so I haven't seen it yet. I know's it's got black finish so we'll need to paint the top white - for the translucent glass. All the glass is my ambers from the bathroom door - working out well for the animals and I may use a bit of greens as background fill.

I plan to precut and tumble everything before the work day

• Bright199
    17 years ago

Ok I sure hope your going to take pictures!! Sounds really interesting.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, here's some pictures! LOL

1st, this is the next set of 8 drawings yet to be cut

{{!gwi}}

everyone say in unison "yes, nicthyme IS crazy!" LOL

here are the pics of the 8 done, note the elephant with toenails... thank goodness the little girl only gave it 2 legs!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    17 years ago

OMG! That's going to be such a work of art and so special. I wish I had your knowledge and skills. And I love the artwork. Cna't wait to see the finished product.

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

nice- oh my oh my oh my!! Those are turning out so good...

I bid $500.00..oh ya the auction hasn't started yet..shoot!!!

This piece is SOOOO already going to make a hit...keep us posted!!!

chickeemama

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Uh, ah, ahem! I STARTED to say, "NICETHYME IS CRAZY, but instead, I said NICETHYME is an artist! Child, you are a real piece of work! I applaud your ingenuity, creativity, your willingness to tackle such a gargantuan project, and the skill to bring it off. Take a bow so I can place the crown on your cute l'il head.

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

OMG - what a lucky class, to have someone as talented as you create something like this. It's going to be fantastic. Thanks for posting the pics - I was dying to see them.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Those are amazing! I'm speechless!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey, I'm further along than I thought! evidently I can't count - there's 9 done in those pics LOL woohoo, I'm past the halfway mark!

onward!

thank you all for cheering me on, you give me the energy to continue this crazy venture.

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Holy dawg snot!!! That is so great! I was wondering how those would look.
    You are a ring saw goddess!!

• diytrying
    17 years ago

You are amazing! The expressions of the animals are so wonderful; truly a work of art.

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Oh, Nicethyme, what a beautiful job you have done with these children's art work! Those children are going to beam with pride when they see this. I wish somebody would buy it and donate it back to the school. It is quite a work of art that needs to be displayed with pride.

I thought you were crazy to take on such an adventure when I first read your post but I see now that You are THE artist that can make this a big success. This is just so original!!! Love it!!!

• ladyronnie
    17 years ago

Absolutely wowzie! I had no idea until I saw the pics just what you had gotten yourself into! Now here's an idea...How much could each of us donate so you could wind up with your work back in your own home?? Or would the artist be ineligible to bid? Kind of like sweepstakes rules...
    Man, my stress level would be through the roof! You go girl!

Veronica

• shrty411
    17 years ago

That had better go for a LOT of money!!!

Maria

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Nicethyme... I just don't even know what to say!!! What a wonderful, wonderful project! The finished piece will be so awesomely whimsical, and with your incredible talent, beautifully finished! I'm so proud of what you are doing! Kathy

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Nicethyme you are certainly an inspiration! Those kids are going to be tugging at their parents to bid, bid, and bid some more so they can get their lions, tigers, and giraffes to be at home with them.

Way to go!! You are truly amazing to be taking on such a wonderful project. My DD says to be doing such a thing you're 'da bomb!'. :O)

Nicole.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!!! We're cheering you on, We KNOW You Can Do It!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

coool, the Rocky theme AND hot dawg snot! (I like that one!) LOL

I didn't get much sawing done today but I did change my blade, Chickee! and wow I had forgotten what it was like to be so sharp...nice... 70 dollars but NICE! lol

Dh was home most of the day and hates to hear the saw (drowns out the TV) so instead I cut up all my ambers and tumbled them. I divided everything up according to color, size and shape and bagged them all in ziplocks. I've never been so organized - won't the mommies and teachers be fooled! got 20 different types of tesserae that can be used.

hopefully I'll catch a break tomorrow and get the remaining animals done. I did make little name tiles today for each child, to label their pictures, those came out good using a handwriting font in brown on tan paper.

I suppose I better go hide some eggs and throw a couple baskets together

• chris2u
    17 years ago

What can I say ? WOW! Your newspaper should do a story about you and that project. Very, very creative. Sending good vibes through the keyboard. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Chris

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Oh Nice!! That is the most wonderful idea. You have done
    an amazing job on that. It's so precious. Filing that idea away for my projects with my future grand babies!
    Can't wait to see more!!!

Hazie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UGH... it's done, the prep that is! 16 drawings and each (except the 2 elephants) are 2 or 3 colors... whew...

I'm exhausted. happy easter everybody!

{{!gwi}}

• shrty411
    17 years ago

WOW.

That's all I can say!!

Maria

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

OMG!!!!
    you know what I think about this work you're doing? and taking the pictures as you go along?
    I think you have the makings of a wonderful mosaic instruction book that would SELL at Barnes and Nobel...

no kidding..if I was to browse through what you're doing..I would be so tempted to try it...(but knowing in the back of my mind that it would be put on the back burner and may never get done) but would be so worth it, to have the book for the day that I maybe had enough nerve and practice to try and get it together to do something similar...

no kidding...this is going to be a VERY SPECIAL project that could lead you into areas that you didn't expect!

beautiful work...wonderful patience and lucky school and kids.

my best to you....

Becky .(*_*).

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Yes ma'am - this is going to lead to something special for you AND others. I can't wait to start hearing the results and where this takes y'all. WHAT A PROJECT! I'm not clear on the table, it's purpose, auction? Please give details - memory fails me.

• squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

Holy Crap! What a project! The animals are so cute, you did an awesome job cutting them. I agree with everyone...this is going to take you down a path you didn't expect...enjoy the ride! I'm in awe!

• maddielee
    17 years ago

WOW! doesn't even say it. Where can I bid?

ML

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Double dawg snot!!
    Great job.
    Smack your hubby in the head and tell him "Whazza matter wit you?? Don't you know there is a creative GENIUS at work here?!?"

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Bama!

Slow, yep it's for the school's fundraiser spring auction. Each class offers a project to be sold. This is for the PreK class.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey you guys, I just took a couple in to show the teachers. Everyone is so jazzed now!

• shrty411
    17 years ago

People are going to remember this project and the work you did for the rest of their lives. Those kids will be telling their GRANDCHILDREN!!!

Maria

• silvamae
    17 years ago

Fabulous! I agree with Seaglass; you should write a book! Seriously. Oh my goodness, what a lot of work. Wow.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

YOU ROCK!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LMAO!!!

just trying to ...

BE JANE! BAH HAAAA HA HAAAA!

thankyou all, we'll be assembling on Sat afternoon, I'll take my camara!

I've got 3 or 4 tubes of GEII, do you think the fumes will be bad for other volunteers? I don't smell them but then I don't have a strong sense of smell.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

It's cuz we've burned out our senses of smell w/the stuff, I think. I can't wait to see more progress on this. Glad to see Silvamae posting again. Where you been, girlie?? Missing you a lot.

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

I think the GEII fumes will just make the colors look alot prettier.....

• glasshappy
    17 years ago

Maybe the fumes will calm those little kiddoes down......or.....make them more hyper!! I can just see it now, 4 year olds stuck to the walls and each other!!LOL!!!

• ladyronnie
    17 years ago

What will you put in between for background? Hey, how about blades of green grass, jungle-y like? :)

• madhabitz
    17 years ago

Oh man, this is going to be so neat!

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Ahhh, It's all about the fumes....heh heh!!! Hey! Wait a minute, did I just type that out loud????....come on now, I really meant to say ventalation...didn't I???

• shrty411
    17 years ago

There are fumes...........................never noticed

Maria

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Told y'all. We've burned our senses. Yeah, I'm interested in knowing about the background, too, NICE. You thought that out yet? Silly question, I know, but just asking.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmmm, welll I thought it might be best to try and keep it uncomplicated... so it will be rather abstract. We'll use all the colors that were used on the animals and try for a good balance throughout. But... I did cut up squares of my lightest amber (read white) and my darkest amber (read black) and I thought if it can all fit, we could do a "Slowmedown checkered border" figuring that will be a nice touch oh whimsey! and good tie together for all the different creatures. what do ya think?

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Sounds like NICE and terrific!!! - am sooooo anxious to see this project completed and your next venture.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, I saw the table tonight.... it's beautiful - the junker in me feels a little guilty mosaiking such a nice table! LOL But, the surface is nice sized (more than I imagined) we should have noooo problem fitting the border and all the animals aaaaaannnnd a good amt of fill. That was a real concern for me, that we might not get that good balance of fill to subjects. Whew!

DD's teacher wrote of this project in the parent newsletter that I got tonight. (blush) She said the nicest things - sounded like you all! lol Maybe this will bring her back to glass work, she'd fit right in here!

I'm just dying to get to this... I bought some black grout but I may change my mind once I see it all glued down.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

What about a dark brown grout?? Or will some of your animals blend in too much with that??

I'm really anxious to see how this turns out. Take a picture ( with the whole class!)and send it to Delphi!! Bet you'd make the catalog!!

I wish they'd get this @$^%$$##@^^& server fixed!!

Maria

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Oh how exciting. I can imagine how anxious you are to get at it. What is the size of the table? Black sounds nice for those colors, and I KNOW your abstract background is gonna be unique. What a wonderful community project, and YES, your newspaper should be alerted. This is to be commended by more than the parents' newspaper, even though that is great of the teacher to do. You could offer these pictures on a website, too. Every artist I've searched has community project pictures, and this one is really special. You deserve lots of recognition on this. Are you itching to get to another project? Do you have one cooking in your head? You inspire me so much w/your far-out ideas.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"You inspire me so much w/your far-out ideas."

Honey, right back at ya!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought I'd link to the continuation of this project so if someone in the future wants to see it all, it would be connected.

ps. it sold for 5000.00 (I'm still in shock the morning after) lol

Here is a link that might be useful: the auction table part 2

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm