Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your opinion on using a plastic frame

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 18:03

I'm gathering up supplies to make the Harley mosaic for my online friend that she comissioned.I went to the Goodwill & found the PERFECT frame for it . It's a large oval - I was on cloud 9 !!!

I got home and gave it some thought . For some reason , my brain never registered that it was hard plastic. I was thinking how light this would be to hang & how I could repaint the frame and add ball chain or fancy Harley stuff. My brain was in overdrive .

Now I'm wondering , do you think a "re-made" plastic frame would cheapen the whole thing ? DH said it would be like putting a diamond in a plastic ring. Now I'm discouraged. It was just sooooo perfect !

What do you think ? Yes or No ? My only other option is buying a big piece of wood , copying the oval shape on it and cut it out. It would have to be routed all around , sanded to perfection,sealed and painted or stained.
UGH - so much work . I'm open for suggestions.

**Thank you again for your help !!!**
I should say this to all of you more often :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your opinion on using a plastic frame

Use the frame...You could paint it any color you want and for hanging purposes, it is waaay lighter. Just my 2 cents worth....
oh, Got a Pic? ;-)

o

Yes ! Here's a pic of the frame (with the picture still in it )
Photobucket

and here's a close up picture of it.

Photobucket

The frame would be redone in black & ball chain . The center is 1/8th inch masonite -- sturdy for a mosaic.
Whatcha think ?

o

I say ''go for it.'' I would.

o

Sorry to be a spoiler. I'm w/your DH. A commissioned piece that you're gonna put so much time into deserves special framing, thereby increasing the price of the project. I don't like much of anything plastic.

o

You're not a spoiler ! I want opinions ! LOL

o

Ive pondered this a couple days and Im with slow. I also think painting the plastic might make it look tacky. Does it have to be oval? Consider using mdf as a base and using molding and trim strips to form the frame around the mosaic. Also-does that masonite have any flex to it? if it does its not suitable for your mosaic.

o

If it doesn't have to be oval, another option is wooden cabinet doors. They already have the trim and make a sturdy substrate. I don't think the plastic is a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here