Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Mask WIP

texaswild
17 years ago

Bought this metal mask at TJ Max last time ROSIE and I went to Longview - weeks ago, and only today, when I was pacing the floor for my next project, did I pick it up and see possibilities. Making it up as I go and have the hair to do to be finished gluing. Doing the hair in white and black iridescent unless y'all have better suggestions. I'm stuck. Suggestions please.

Mask WIP

Comments (26)

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

LOVE the mask. I like your idea for the hair color. I think any other color would compete with the colorful face.
    You know what you're doin'!
    Since you're in TX (where I moved from) have you been to the first monday in Canton? I bet you'd be in hawg heaven there!!

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

Another magical piece from Slow ..you need to change your name to Speedy......I don't know how you go so fast.....cuttin all those little pieces is time consuming for me.......Black and White Right On!!!!!!!!!Annie

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, y'all. CRACK: Open up that Morton and you'll be whizzin' at a higher rate. That thing is sooooo wonderful. You can cut a whole sheet of squares in about 10 min., snap, snap, snap and break them apart. It's fabulous! BAMA - Haven't been to Canton since the early '90s when my DH and I went a couple times. Waaaay too big, waaaaa to expensive for my taste. They've gone way out of control on prices.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

What a great mask Slow!! Love the idea of the black and white hair!

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

Orange . . . the hair needs to be orange.

Little spikey, sharp triangles of orange.

I don't know why.

• diytrying
    17 years ago

That is really great looking. Wouldn't dream of suggesting; your ideas are always so imaginative. Can't wait to see it done.

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

wench beat me to it, I was also struck by the thought of orange when I looked at her.

And what a looker she is! very COOL, and your grout lines are so tight and precise too. DANG! I really like the layout and the way her eyes look - kind of surprised! lol wonderful job!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Wow!!!!! That is awesome! Where are you putting that in your hpuse? trying to picture it's spot. Too Cool Slow!!
    I love it!

Hazie

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, dang it! Wish I'd waited until tomorrow cuz I kept trying to find a place to put orange and never got to it. Blast it!!! Too late - already did the black/white. Here's an update - grout tomorrow. The spot above the red bead on her head w/have a teensy rhinestone crown, and the earrings w/be beaded. Y'all are so nice. HAZIE: Just before I sat down here I thought "where in the hay w/this thang go?" I don't have ANY African art in my house - narry a piece. Haven't a clue. Might hang it on the fence outside the patio near the fountain.
    Mask Update

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

I know how to get that black and white hair off . . . . .

She needs crystals hanging from her hoop earrings, btw.

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Slow, you ARE amazing! I admire your vision of art. I keep studying your designs with the hope of osmosis kicking in. Your mask will enhance any spot you choose to hang it!

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

LOL wench!

she looks GAAAAAUUUUURRRRRRRGEOUS Dahling! but yeah couple droops could put her over the top in Slowmedown style!

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

A M A Z I N G......

I am, like everyone else, in awe of your speed. And your vision and your creativity and your sense of style and your sense of color.......I guess that is why you are....the QUEEN. :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    17 years ago

WOW Slow LOVE her!!!I just love all the colors you use. How come it works for you and not when I tr to do it. Is there a secret to it?

Was the twisted wire looking stuff part of the mask as you bought it or did you add that too? She really is great!!!!May I share your picture with a friend of mine?? She would love it too.

Chris

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

Another slow special. Great job.

• klinger
    17 years ago

Slow, I love the colors you used, they're so vibrant. Okay now I guess I better get a Morton cutter too. I'll have to lasso Jane and get her to take me some place that has them. I know she'll know,
    Cindy lw

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well there y'all go again - making me smile when my body wants to growl. Thanks a zillion. WENCH and NICE - if this were a serious piece, I'd take the hair off and replace it w/your fabulous idea of using orange, but it was a quick mosaic fix until I could decide on my next serious project. Awoke this morn. w/it, so I'm so anxious to get to it, I'll just grout this piece and learn from your suggestion for another project using hair. I think I have some red prisms, left from the hanging chandelier, for her earrings. SHADES: I think our style comes out on auto pilot, cuz if I try to copy someone else's stuff, I end up doing my own thing, changing it completely, so be comfortable w/what you're doing - it's YOU. The twisted metal wire was a part of the mask. Feel free to show the pics. I'm honored w/that. KLINGER: The hardest part of finding the Morton w/be in Lassoing Janeybo.

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

if this were a serious piece, I'd take the hair off and replace it w/your fabulous idea of using orange, but it was a quick mosaic fix until I could decide on my next serious project. . . .

There are serious pieces of Mosaic?

Please Lord, keep me away from them - I'm having too much fun.

(Seriously [no pun intended], I hang out on a couple of Mosaics lists and there's one for "artists" that gets so very serious and dull. If I hang out there too long I can feel the joy seeping out of me.

Most times I learn a lot there but it's like being back in college again with self-important, self promoting, serious "artsy-fartsy" folks who look down their dilettante noses at the rest of us who are finding joy in our process . . . .

Dilettant is the look-up word for the week!!!

/Rant off.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, I think I know the forum of which you speak. Don't hang out there - this is the fun place where we are all equal, friendly, non-pretentious etc. I meant that I want to make something from scratch, rather than cover something bought. The workshop knowledge has been cooking in my brain and I'd like to give it a serious try.

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

So that's how it works for you, too?

Cooking and cogitating and turning 'round and 'round until something comes out?

Glad to know I'm not alone.

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Yall crack me up!
    Spider webs can't grow on slows stuff!

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Slow her down! She's hitting warp speed!!! Beam Me up, Slowy!!! ha ha ha ha!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, little Janeybo! Smarty britches! Here she is - two views. It's HARD getting pupils in the eyes right. I managed to find the box of crystals I keep losing. She's hung in the guest room where my DGD, a budding artist, stays when she visits. She's getting all the funky "art??" in her room. Suppose I'll have to put a couple more masks on that wall for a collection. Now I'm off to mow the lawn instead of starting another project. I want to start today so bad.
    Finished Mask

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

Oh yeah . . .she's properly dressed now with the crystals in her ears.

Nice job - I wish I had had a granny like you.

Mine tried to make me a "lady" and I was never to get dirty or dusty . . . .oy she failed miserably.

• barbfrizzell1955
    17 years ago

Wow Slow,
    Fantastic job on the mask! I just love looking at all your stuff.

Barb

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

She turned out sooo GREAT!!!! WOW!
    I just LOVE her! I had to mow today too.......did a rush job, because I had a project I wanted to start also!

Hazie

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor