Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

Slowmedown

nicethyme
11 years ago

Out of the blue I decided to share my poppies window on our local Restore facebook page and show them what I do with those sashes. Suddenly I was contacted by a mo artist I have never known, who lives just 20 min from me and we met up for coffee.

In discussing how we got into this I said I started out learning on GW and she said that she had also learned from lurking here and went on to describe this amazing woman on this forum and how inspiring she is... I said Slowmedown? and she said yes thats right!

I wanted you to realize there are probably tons of ppl who have been inspired by you here even when they never posted

Comments (26)

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

What a small world, huh? I second that being inspired by you Betty!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

That is so cool! Yes, Slowmedown has inspired me time and time again.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've taught 2 classes now and I've told them that I started into this when a woman on Gardenweb garden junk said, "just get some stuff and start gluing, what are you waiting for girlie!"

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Little girl: You have no idea how humbling this message is. I am so, well - don't know any other word to describe how this makes me feel, except humbled. Thank you, every one of you. Just shows us how we never know what we say/do w/affect someone else. I'm deeply grateful for y'all's kind words. This inspires me to keep on keeping on. God bless you all.

• stjohnsgypsy
    11 years ago

I couldn't agree more Candace....Betty has been such an inspiration to me for many years......we have developed such an unconditional friendship throughout the years and I actually got to spend time with her in Mexico......she is a very important person to me!!

• texaswild
    11 years ago

God is in these messages. Just when I'm at my lowest, these messages appear. Thank y'all my l'il God-sent angels. Y'all have no idea how grateful I am for the blessings your messages have brought to me.

• cathyscache
    10 years ago

You have inspired many, and I am one!!!!! Thank you!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Thank you, CATHY.

• rchovey
    10 years ago

I haven't been on here for a very long time. I've been busy with school for about 3 years now and haven't gotten to "play" much recently. Not sure what brought me here tonight but I had Betty on my mind and here I am and I find this post. You have been an inspiration to me as well, even though we have never met. God finds a way to connect us. He knows exactly what we need.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, RCHOVEY. I remember a long time ago you commented on one of my photos, and said we like the same decorating style. Have missed you on this forum. Lots of people have left, and I still miss them. Wish we could revive the forum. I KNOW I'm not doing my part, but I'm in the process of switching hobbies - still trying to include a little mosaicing into the new stuff, but it's slow going. Thanks again, all of you. I, too, have received much inspiration from each of you.

• brokenchina
    10 years ago

I had moved away from this forum and it's sad to me because there was so much inspiration here - especially slow's work - and all the other incredible artists. I just dropped in to see how things were going here tonight and wondered where everyone had gone.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Hello BROKEN: Nice to see you checking in. I KNOW - this forum is deader than dirt, isn't it? I still check in every morning. Hardly any life at all. Thanks for your compliment. W/love to see your current works, if you'd care to post pictures.

• brokenchina
    10 years ago

I'm sure everyone has moved on to other venues. Me, I'm lurking around a few facebook groups - Stained Glass Addicts and GOG Mosaics. Lots of fun and great artists. Let me know if any of you would like to join.
    Slow, unlike you, I'm the slow one. I made a starry night gog window last year that I think I posted here and I just finished another window that I donated. Wish this site had a photo gallery so we could share.

• anneinva_2009
    10 years ago

I always love some SLOW. If this forum is so dead, where are people going? I would like some suggestions of other forums to lurk on.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

BROKEN: That is absolutely an amazing piece. Nope haven't seen it b/f. Your perspective on this is fabulous - the lettering - my goodness. YOU ARE GOOD!!! Hope you'll continue to post pictures.

Thanks, ANNEINVA. Lots of people, even on Flickr, have gone to Facebook. I'm not a member, and don't plan to be, but you can try there. Just Google for mosaic forums for other places to lurk. Flickr has lots of wonderful artists. You can go into albums of each responder to their works to find others. It's an endless, and most creative bunch of goodness.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I too hate how slow the forums have now become, along with Flickr. Wish people would come back from Facebook again! I miss getting inspired by what others are doing!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

crafty is right, facebook has literally killed off forums like this through competition. Yet its not a good venue for following projects... hit or miss whether you see the progress

• silvamae
    10 years ago

I'm on Facebook but I prefer to come here to discuss mosaics and show progress reports, etc.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

I agree with all of the above!!! I have left this forum for awhile, just drop in occasionaly to see whats going on and am always looking for "What is Slow doing now? Cause I know it will be great!" I haven't been working on much of anything but my yard lately and plan to get back to some mosaics as I envy all the work that everyone on here does. I am very much an amatuer but still love giving it my best shot every once in awhile. Thanks to all of you who have so generously shared your knowledge for others to benefit from. Gonna have to look into GOG Mosaics as I have a couple of old windows I'd like to try my hand at.

• glassyeyed
    10 years ago

I haven't even checked anything on here in a long time, but have been needing some inspiration so I decided to come and check to see what everyone is doing and so glad I did. I have been working a lot the past couple of years and haven't been doing anything artistic but have been decoupaging some. I came back because I was needing to look at Slows stuff because she is what gives me the most motivation. There are many brilliant artists on here but her style is my obsession. I'm glad she is still one here. Now that I have looked at some stuff I will be getting back to what makes my soul happy now :)

• texaswild
    10 years ago

This just blows my mind. I am bowing in humble thanks again at this thread. Don't know how my work inspires anyone. Wish I could get motivated to mosaic again. I have so many materials, but no inspiration. Thank you, GLASSY, as well as everyone else's kind words.

• emtnest
    10 years ago

Well Slow, you are the bomb diggity on here...everyone loves them some Slowmedown....so what are you getting into now that is not mosaic related? I've been painting for awhile now, water colors and oils..just made some potheads. It's the first thing I've done in Mosaics in awhile.
    Candice that's funny you ran into someone who knows Slow in your own area...small world...

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Hey girlie: So nice to see you back. I thought I saw you getting rid of your mosaic supplies. I'm thrilled that you've gotten into it again, even if only occasionally. You added so much to this forum.

I've been trying my hand at art journal making. Doing a trial run on a little journal I'm making out of old greeting cards. At present, I'm trying to learn to draw girlie faces. Have bought a ton of art supplies. It's as if I've never painted in oils b/f - so filled w/fear and trepidation, but my granddaughter is encouraging me to continue. Do stick around here - don't go away. We could show our work on the Conversation side, if it isn't mosaics. W/love to see some of your paintings. Are you a member of another group where you post them?

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

I am sooo excited to be going to the Queendom again this year, it is approaching so quickly I will be scrambling to get ready! lol! Slow: you may not travel much now, but you bring the party to you!!!;-)

• emtnest
    10 years ago

How fun, a party at Slow's!!! I have an art page of fb that has all of my art., it's called Wright Specialties. All of my recent paintings are there.Thank you Slow...you're so sweet, kind words...

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Looking forward to Janey bo's visit. Hope she inspires me to do something nice. MT: I'm not a member of FB. Please give us a link so we can see your work.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH