Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

WARNING~probably a dumb question

carolann_z8
16 years ago

I'm sure this is a question that has been answered before but I couldn't find the answer on here. =)

I was wondering what you can use to color your grout.

Comments (8)

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

I have used a powered product called grout colorant.
    There is a liquid colorant called Tints-all.
    And you can always water down some acrylic paint and
    do a wash.
    I have to rush to work so I can't give you any links,
    but you can always google or search on ebay!
    Hope this helps.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

no one can ask a dumb question here, never happened before and never will!

Cindiloo is right, you can get powered cement colorants. Tints all is a pigment used to color paint.
    Some have good luck adding acrylic paint to their grout or waiting to do a color wash over the cured grout. in both those instances you'd really want to be changing a close shade of the same color family.
    Stll other members have used rit dye to color grouts...

• natasha687
    16 years ago

I have heard of people also using chalk to tint grout also, like the sidewalk chalk kids use. Use the small grater on your cheese grater.
    Natasha687

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to start a project using a colored grout.

Maybe some of my friends could buy different colored tints and swap off. This would give us all different colors.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Your tile store in your town should have grout in many colors. I might add here that one mosaic artist told me that Tints-all is the only colorant that w/not fade outside. All others will eventually.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks
    My daughter bought a house with a big bunch of bags of white grout so I think I'll buy the tint and work with the "tints all".

• stargaret
    15 years ago

carolann_z8 -- do you mean to re-color grout? If so, I am in the process of using Aqua Mix Colorant and Sealant. I'm mixing 2 colors. You can purchase sample sizes to test areas and then order the color/colors you like. It's actually fun and the results are excellent. Let me know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for and I'll post more info. I've been helped so much by these forums--I wanted to share my experience.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I'd like to know where you're ordering it, Stargaret. Thanks!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm