Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

My best try at a 'Riana' project

texaswild
17 years ago

PLEASE DON'T LOL. This was the hardest thing I've done in FOREVER. I've been wanting to try the wire mesh armature, so yesterday I began. Got it finished and ready for concrete tomorrow. I have 100 lbs. of sand and 92.5 lbs. of Portland cement in the Jeep and can't get it out, so w/have to use it from there. THEN when I get my strength back, I'll have to take it out in small amounts and store in plastic bags. What's an old lady to DO when she can't find smaller bags she can lift. Picture - oh, yes, where was I. I CAN'T SCULPT, so don't laugh. Her hair w/be a spiky plant or a fern. Hope to bring out her features better mosaiced. Looks pretty awful now.

Chunky, blockheaded Girly Girl Planter

Comments (70)

• klinger
    17 years ago

Slow, she's going to be a real looker. My chiropractor told me to try angle grinder for cutting the mesh, said it should slice through it just fine. I hope to get some free time eventually and make up something.Don't forget to wear a mask when you do your concrete tommorow. Where is that Rosie gal?? Is she in hiding?Or is she working on a big fabulous project??
    You can build her up a bit with more cement, if you go to thick it will sag though, just like in real life,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh thank you, CAC - Soooooooooo glad you posted that - I had my own recipe wrong yesterday when I said two parts sand - it's THREE. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I would have messed up. Thanks, KLINGER - but no more tools in this house. I'll just make do w/the tin snips, and yes, I plan to wear a mask for once. ROSIE is still playing w/her kittens and anxious to adopt them OUT!

• hrsg
    17 years ago

slowmedown
    It is another project that you manage to show all of us that there really are no limits.

Thank you for sharing, and I'm looking dforward to more updates as you progress. Which in true slowmedown form, won't be long. ~: )

• hrsg
    17 years ago

Here is a link to some of Riana's gallery images. She has amazing work! I had not heard of her till now, so I am even more interested in seeing this project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rian's Gallery

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Hrsg!!! THANK YOU!!! For posting this website!!! She is such an AMAZING woman!!! I love her! She is one of us!! I didn't have this site so thanks so much!!! I'm in awe!
    Oh and Slow, My fav part of making my hand was "adding" the nuckles with extra grout!!! It just changed the whole thing for me! Just look at this site of Riana's and you will get excited all over again!!! Jane

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

She's slathered in concrete, she has wrinkle, warts, visible stitches, dimples in wrong places, NO EARS, sad little creature, but I got-er-done and I'm proud. She's now covered in a big plastic bag and hopefully tomorrow w/be getting dressed up. I learned by this project to make sure your stitches are neat an smooth to the surface, and I should've put a binding around the rim, cuz I don't know if the concrete w/hold that I glomed onto the points of the wire. OH, and CALAM, when Riana first started the lecture, I wasn't quite through fidgeting, and vaguely remember her saying something about the directions of the wire. When I first rolled out the head piece, I couldn't figure out why it was so danged hard to control and bend. Not until I cut the piece for the neck did I realize the reasoning behind being so careful to get the RIGHT DIRECTION of the wire. Horizontally, it rolls, verticle, it's HARD, and so I figured, "oh well, I'll cover it in the concrete. I learned that it isn't that easy to cover mistakes in the concrete, and to make my next piece as neat in the rough as possible. Teacher told us that, but I was stubborn and tried the shortcut. WRONG! Make it neat! I used a one-lb. coffee can for measuring and made two and one half batches in three mixes - not at once - came out perfect. Mix the sand/cement together very thoroughly before adding water, and mix very well as you add small amts. of water. Took me three hrs. exactly for the whole process. BTW - She doesn't look much like a girl now but hopefully she will when she gets her jewels and thangs. HRSG. Thanks for posting Riana's site, CALAM - I don't need to look at her site to get excited. I wake UP excited. There are six views.
    Planter w/concrete applied

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Holy Crow, Slowmedown! You do move fast!! She is looking GREAT! I can't wait to see her all dolled up. Riana would be proud! Kathy

• stjohnsgypsy
    17 years ago

Gosh dang woman! You are amazing.....I haven't done any mosaics or ANYTHING creative for over a month or so...........I love this gal. You continue to strive and jump in.....you are such an achiever...and all of your STUFF is remarkably over the top GREAT! I don't think you could mess up anything......You inspire me to get out to my shed....and do something creative. CHEERS tonight!

• hrsg
    17 years ago

She looks awesome! This is another I may have to try!

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

So how was it with the different sand? Better/smoother I bet! Wouldn't ya like to see how that gal who did a corgi, how her project turned out?!!! I wanna make a niche too, for my DD, using that "Mary" tile I have. Oh man, All these project ideas and I'm trying to do my gardening too!!! And my art room is coming along..slowly but beautifully, I'll have pics as soon as my camera batteries recharge! I'm SURE You are gonna "Bling" her out!!!!
    And what about "The Crown", any ideas yet?

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

OH MAN! I love it Slow and I really cannot wait to see how you do her up! amazing, you are so amazing!

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

ok Slow, you knew it was coming...HOLY DAWG SNOT!!!!
    (thats about as high of a complement I ever give)

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

A W E S O M E !!! Wish I lived near you & could visit when you did the wire mesh. I am going to have to try this sometime. She is going to be gorgous once she is done. Can't wait to see the next project.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

'mornin' y'all. TASY: It's because this Queendom is totally neglected lately, and this is all I DO. Gypsie - I mess up EVERYTHING I do. CALAM: The play sand was great to work with, and YES - it would be so nice to see all those projects finished. The crown - well, girlie, you'll just have to wait. I don't know until I start doing something what it'll be, but YES I have an idea. I wish all y'all would try this method. Making this planter has TOTALLY inspired me to make something else. I was thinking I wish I'd had this knowledge before I made my little church and little house. Just think what a little village would look like along a fence line among your posies. So many ideas and possibilities are running through my mind. Wish that time would slow down a bit - I got so much to do. Thanks for the cheering - I hear ya.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Wow!! Look at how she is coming along! It looks really good!
    You are really something Slow!

Hazie

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

This is what I saw when I looked at her!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your idea is VERY, VERY - V E R Y CLOSE to mine, however the beauty of the statue ISN'T in the creation. I'm just getting started on it.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'm finished gluing. Whady'all think. It was hard to stop but wanted to leave mostly concrete. She is named after my best Cyber Friend, STJOHNSGYPSYE, from whom I was inspired to do a snake, and this seemed a good place to put one. Gypsie's snake is soooooooo much prettier than mine. I was so anxious to get started that I sorta goofed up the head of the snake. May change it. The base of the head is a plate shard - not happy w/it. The snake looked so much better before I put the hair above it. Hoping black grout w/bring the snake out again, and charcoal everywhere else. She'll have a skin coat of grout to cover the wire and to try to smooth out and cover her Frankenstein stitches. This has been the most enjoyable piece I've done since the stockings. Wanna do moooooooooore, but need to get some gardening done next - after grouting her tomorrow. I think there are six views.
    Gypsie Woman before grout

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

OH SLOW! OH SHE'S WONDERFULLY FUN! CUPHANDLES! Are those rocks or gems for the snake? OH OH!!!! I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! JUST SOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    17 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........this is one of my very favorite things you have done! She is wild, crazy and fun woman! Hmmmm....she even looks like me on a good day!!!! Your snake is just downright brillant! She is brillant......you are brillant...........I love her ears....I am smiling ear to ear...........she is a free-spirit!!!!! Can't find the right words, but love her.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

She's WONDERFUL!!! Love those ears! Are you going to hang something from them?

Maria

• d3bbi
    17 years ago

Slow, your work is quite an inspiration! She is a beaut! Ever since you shared Riana's formula, I've wanted to make my own. It must be quite a since of accomplishment to make something from inception.

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Oh, WOW, very creative! Can't wait to see her "skinned".

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, good morning y'all. Couldn't sleep so am up at 1:30 AM. Thank you for the compliments. She was SUCH fun to make. NICE: The snake is made up of stones from Romancing the Stone, a little store in our mall, where you fill a bag for $5.00. I've used most of the three bags I bought in other projects, so filled in w/the glass shapes Michael's sells. Michael's bags are sorta expensive, but I bought tons of them, and this was a good place to use them. GYPSIE: Wild and crazy - just like you and me (or is that I?). SHRTY: She has earrings hanging from the cup handles. They're glass beaded tassels from Walmart, and I hung them on a curlicued brass wire. Perhaps they're too long for you to notice them. D3 - I am sooooo anxious to try something else. After some gardening, I'm gonna start a table for the garden. It's not shown on her website, but she had it in her photo album in P.V. It has pointy, scallops hanging around the edge, and had two little chairs. They were all mosaiced in black and white stones or river rocks?? I challenge you all to make something from this formula. You'll LOVE it, and it w/open a whole new world of creativity for you, especially for those who want to make a tower. This is the way to do one. I'm told that Little/Lewis use this method for making their wonderful garden art. Wish I could make a sphere like theirs. It's REALLY quite an easy process to do, and yes, soooo satisfying to create something from scratch. CALAM - on my response to your picture of Nefertiti, I MEANT to say, the beauty in THIS creation doesn't match the beauty in your image. Only in my dreams. Thanks again.

• hrsg
    17 years ago

Slow
    She is fantastic! Love the cup handles and earrings, and the way she is winking!

• shrty411
    17 years ago

I see them slow, I think I thought they were part of her head dress thingy.

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

She's almost ready to be placed in the garden when my kids come for the weekend to help me decide WHERE. Have to buy another hangy-down plant cuz they take different moisture levels, but here's an idea. I didn't give her a skin coat cuz I got tired and figured it's a learning process so I'll be neater on the next one. Her stitches and brains w/have to show - after all, she's very primitive folk art. I think there are four views. Gonna take a nap.
    Gypsie almost ready to plant

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

I Love her! Slow, I think this is very very fun and whimsical! what a joy it must be to have created her all the way from nothing! amazing! I giving a standing ovation.

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Bravo, Slow!! You deserve a nice long nap! She's BRILLIANT!!!

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

I am at work on my lunch break and this computer is too slow to look at your newest work. I will have to check it out when I get home. From the compliments I'm reading it sounds fantastic!!!! Can't wait to see it!!

chickeemama

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

OH SHE IS SOOO GREAT!!!!!!!
    I love her cup handle ears!..... that is the best!
    She is incredible Slow! I real masterpiece.....
    Take a Bow our Queen!

Hazie

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

You Go Girl!!! I love her wink!! And I really like the snake!!! And earrings! Perfect hair too!

• lyndalu
    17 years ago

tasymo said it well..."Bravo, slow".

Your sheer artistic talent is incredible, but equally incredible....this entire project took place in 5 days! Right? You started Monday, and finished this afternoon? Absolutely incredible. Did I use the word "incredible" enough? You leave me at a loss for the right words.

If I posted WIPS of my attempts at concrete structure you guys would forget what I was working on by the time I finished!

So original, so cool...so YOU! :)

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Oh, your Gypsie is a wondrous sight! Hope you sent Riana a photo?

• shrty411
    17 years ago

She's amazing, Slow!!I want to try that method, later this spring/summer. Probably will be something simple for me though!!

Maria

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

Wow...now I see what I was missing earlier..Slow you did a splendific job!! I don't know why I didn't know it was going to be a planter till after I saw your pictures with the plants in it!!! I love the texture of her skin. Makes me want to reach out and touch it!!!

Pretty soon you'll be hosting your own workshops!!!!

Cannot wait to see what you do next.

• squirrellycanadian
    17 years ago

That is sooo cool! If that is your first project after Mexico I can hardly wait to see what you do next!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well thank y'all a bazillion times. You make my heart sing. Yes, SQUIRRELLY - first project, and it has inspired me to try something else SOON as I get some weeding and planting done and prepare for my kids and a friend coming for next weekend. LYNDALU - yep - five days, and every day was a joy (except the frustration when I got the direction wrong and rolled her head the wrong way!!) Thanks for that. Your comment about forgetting what you were working on made me LOL. ROSIE - I did send Riana photos, but haven't heard from her yet. She's quite busy right now. SHRTY - I DO hope you follow through on plans to try this. I want to make a short pedestal for her and paint it up w/layers of different colors like ROSIE's columns - Little/Lewis style. CHICKEE - I would like nothing better than to show people (for free) how to work this method. It was so much fun to create my own subject to mosaic. Thank y'all for your cheering. Bless you all.

• klinger
    17 years ago

Slow she's a real beauty, you done real good. I think a pedestal for her wuld be wonderful. How big is she? and what do you think she ended up weighing?I so badly want to get going on a sculpture,
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Slow, Ya gonna make a snake winding up the column?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OHGOODGRIEF, CALAM: Did you HAVE to put that idea in my head??? No, cuz I've just figured out where she w/stand, and most of the column w/be covered by ferns and roses. I'm putting her at the right front corner of my house where there are "Maggie" roses and at the base are ferns. I've just stopped for a Gatorade break, and while sitting in the swing, decided that's a good spot. You can be sure I'll take a picture when she's in place. KLINGER. 'twern't easy weighing her but I managed. I stood on the scales and picked her up. This morning I weighed 125.5, and w/her it makes 172, so guess that makes her 47.50 lbs. She's 25 tall in front and 37 around the snake's head. I think I'll wait to build a column, cuz my H.M. gave me some sections of fake marble he cut off when he was replacing his house columns. If I mortar a couple together, it would add 14" to her height - 39", just right, and I can paint them to sorta blend in w/the foliage. That's my story right now. Gotta get back to weeding. Once outside, it's WONDERFUL TOO. Love pulling weeds.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gypsie is at home finally. I tore out enough ferns to place her but not the roots, so the bottom part w/be partially covered. Her hair is Bulbine, planted in a separate pot and w/fill that pot before the summer is out - fast grower. Need to put some Impatiens or Dianthus in front - that's a dappled shade most of the day. There are two views. BTW - I only planted the window boxes yesterday, so it'll be awhile before they're running over w/Day Lilies, Petunias and Snaps. My work table is bare and I can't stand it. It is all I can do to resist cutting out a piece of wire to start the pedestal for my garden table. Can't do it - gotta start cleaning house for next weekend's guests. I was mistaken about the one I'm gonna make not being in Riana's garden. It's the last one in her photos, if you go to her site. Looks like pink/black checked chairs.
    Gypsie's Home

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

WHAT A WOMAN!!!!!!!!Sorry I know I'm yelling but I just have too.Both you and gypsie I mean.What a nice thing to come home and see today.Love the look ..gorgeous and crazy like all of us!LOL...I have an idea Slow how about you becoming the next Riana and teaching a class?Closer than mexico???You trully are an inspiration to all of us young and old..we love you !Annie

• shrty411
    17 years ago

She looks great,Slow!!When the plants fill in it'll be perfect!!

Maria

• chickeemama
    17 years ago

You did good slow, that turned out really great..the pillar will only set it off and then when the plants grow that will make it even prettier. I hope Riana writes you back to let you know how good you did!!

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Wonderful!!
    Slow made a POT HEAD! heh-heh.
    Seriously though, It's great. Now I wanna try too!!

• chris2u
    17 years ago

Slow, I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I absolutely must have my own garden head. She's beautiful. Thanks for sharing the steps.

I noticed your window boxes and was wondering if you had mosaiced any of them before. I saw one (china) at Ruby Lane and wondered how the mosaic on wood would hold up. I know it's not mosaic related, but are your boxes wood and do you put the soil directly into the box or do you use a liner ? I love the look of window boxes. Thanks again.

another Chris

• hrsg
    17 years ago

Slow
    Riana would be so proud of this! You shouls send her a pic of the finished project. She is gorgeous!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

'morn' y'all. You make my morning sweeter. Thanks for your kind comments. CRACK: No desire to become the next Riana - she's one of a kind - a wonderful woman and teacher. I had sent her pictures of Gypsie grouted and "almost ready" - w/the plants in her hair. I got a message from her last night. She's been doing this for 18 years, and in the beginning was reluctant to share her knowledge of the craft because she said if people learned how to do it, they might rise to the top and take away her bread/butter. But then she said she decided that even if they did, good for them, because so many people get such joy from this, that it was right for her to teach it. It was such a nice, complimentary note. I w/be grateful for this woman's class for the rest of my days. BAMA - please try it - ANYONE can DO this!!! CHRIS2 - hope you start yours soon. Window boxes are cedar, and I plant directly into them. My HM made them three yrs. ago, and I see no sign of deterioration. I'm afraid to mosaic them and put more weight onto their connections. They are VERY heavy already. I wouldn't hesitate to mosaic wood outside. After all, they are covered in the cement-based mortar, so are pretty well protected. I figure if it lasts a few years, it was worth the effort. The blue pedestal in my back yard is cedar, was outside ??? already, then it's been mosaiced for 1 1/2 yrs., and shows no signs of deterioration. I hope y'all w/try this process. I guarantee you'll enjoy the process as well as the results. The feeling of accomplishment in creating something from your heart/head, w/your own hands is tremendous. Give it a try.

• joyy
    17 years ago

wow... look at what i miss when i'm away. that's an amazing project!! she turned out beautifully, slowmedown!!

Sponsored