Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with this big, wavy piece of glass?

Posted by parhelia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 16:07

Hi!

I've never really done any stained glass or mosaic work, but I've always been a fan of it. So when I found this huge piece of unusual glass at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, I pounced on it. Problem is, I can't quite figure out what to do with it!

It's about 25" wide by approx. 5' tall. It's thick and very heavy, and corrugated just like a piece of corrugated roofing tin.

I thought it might be really cool outside as some sort of sculpture, but I don't have a roofed patio. Though I think it was originally the bathroom window in a local house, so maybe I wouldn't have to worry so much about it getting broken?

Might anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks!!!

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with this big, wavy piece of glass?

I'm sure that the glass was originally meant to replace a portion of standard corrugated roof sheeting, to provide direct sunlight into a warehouse or workshop - a sort of plain skylight. Nowadays they would use polycarbonate for this purpose. It would be great to fix a glass mosaic against the underside of the corrugated glass and actually put it into a overhanging roof canopy, such as for a patio or for an an entrance way. It would throw out some wonderful colors in direct light.

o
RE: What to do with this big, wavy piece of glass?

It would really be awesome as a water feature-with water flowing over it---and you could do some mosaic on one side for some color....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here