Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine45_gw

Backsplash pics posted at last!

sunshine45
14 years ago

Here's my first project, a glass on plexiglass backsplash, finally posted at photobucket.

Thanks to all who helped write in with suggestions back in March as I was stressing about grouting and mounting. It went remarkably smoothly. Not sure what I was so worked up about. And it wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be, either. I guess these are things learned only through experience.

Overall, I'm pleased, I just wish the plexi were thicker so it could be away from the wall and backlit somehow.

Now I want to play with the leftovers tiles!

Here is a link that might be useful: mosaic backsplash album at photobucket

Comments (15)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Absolutely wonderful. I LOVE it. Your colors are just perfect for your wall color, too. You did a fabulous job of your mosaic - design - gorgeous. Congratulations. You're right - fear keeps us from enjoying so much, and once you step out and get over that, it's all one big playground.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Just beautiful!!! I'd say you nailed it... and it's wonderful!!! You should be proud...

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Oh its beautiful!!! You did a fabulous job! That would look good anywhere!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

LOVELY!!! Love the agates and the irridescent glass together!!! Good job!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That looks real great !!!!you did good!1

• fldirt
    14 years ago

WOW! Great job & I love the colors with your counter top. Well done!

• silvamae
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Wonderful job!

• moosaics_cher
    14 years ago

Excellent mosaic Sunshine....actually extraordinary for a first piece. Very impressive, I wish my first work was that high caliber!

Those electric face plates can be painted to match the colors of the artwork, as well as the plug area itself (just make sure the power is off). Fusion spray paint has a wide range of colors. The white is a little distracting and your art deserves the eyes full attention. Just a thought...

Again, excellent work!
    Cher

Here is a link that might be useful: moosaics

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Excellent idea MOOSAICS. I mosaiced mine to blend into the whole design - couldn't stand how they stood out.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I am speechless Sunshine, that is beautiful and very professionally done. I too like the agates and irrid. tile together. On my first look thru your pics the agates reminded me of peacock feathers. Did you do all your kitchen or just this section? Great job. I love it. I added ceramic electrical plates to my backsplash when I did it. Brass would also look good with yours. But one mosaiced to match the pattern would just be "drop dead".

• katishooked
    13 years ago

I am speechless. This so beautiful. Good job and appropriate choice of colors.

• sunshine45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your nice comments, everyone.

Immediately after I put up the mosaic, I decided I hated the outlet plates. I've been thinking of stainless steel, but couldn't find a phone plate to match.

Cher, thanks for the tip on Fusion spray paint. I've used it for other things, but never would have thought of it here, for whatever reason.

What I was hoping to do was find a clear face plate and do a "mosaic" matching the colors of the backsplash with some kind of paper decoupaged on the inside of the face plate, so it'd be smooth on the outside. So far, no luck finding this type of face plate. Haven't looked beyond Lowes, though, b/c I just needed a breather from the mosaic for a minute, you know?

• texaswild
    13 years ago

I've also seen some pretty nifty handmade switchplates cut from plywood. Why look, if you have the tools - can you not cut some clear glass ones, and do your decoupaging on the back. In order to make them flush w/your plugs, you could put little spacers behind.

• sunshine45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slow, that's a brilliant idea. Will have to try it. Have spray painted covers with a satin nickel finish as a temporary solution.

• amerique2
    13 years ago

That is just stunning! Love the way the backsplash reflects on the counter.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville