Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfool

Tumbling Glass By Hand

daylilyfool
16 years ago

I was reading and saw the technique discussed about tumbling with bubbles and water. Would someone explain this please?

Comments (18)

• ba1je
    16 years ago

put your glass or china pieces in a container with enough water to cover and a drop of dish detergent and either shake it for 15-30 min or roll it with your feet back and forth. better yet get a tumbler from harbor freight and let it tumble while you do something else. best $30 i ever spent.....barb

• gin_gin
    16 years ago

I have done this. I use an old tupperware container. If you shake vigorously it only takes a few minutes, nowhere near 15 or 30. Hold the lid on securely & beware of leaks!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

You don't need any sand?

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

no, the glass does it all. but here's the thing, we did this one night (had my DD shake it) and they came out pretty pocked up compared to the tumbler. Those edges were accentuated by grout even worse. so beware the vigorous shaking method... and 9 yr olds.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Susanna, the sand will scratch your glass. If you want beach glass, then you would use sand but I think it takes quite a while. I've been using my tumbler from Harbor Freight and just use water. It has made a huge difference on my mosaics. They are much more 'finger frienldy' once the glass has been tumbled.

• daylilyfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I do have an old tumbler I used to use for polishing rocks but it's small, maybe I will try both ways.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Well I just picked up the double tumbler from HF about an hour ago. ($34.99)
    It's sitting on the table in it's taped up box staring at me for what's sure to
    be at least 2 weeks before I have the guts to risk the pricey glass...I kid...I'm really dieing to
    try it. No guts no glory I guess!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Dig in girl!!
    What's the worst than can happen?
    Times a wastin'!!

• Judy Lodin
    16 years ago

I am not sure what tumbled glass looks like....couls someone post before and after photos??

• texaswild
    16 years ago

It's the pieces w/o blood on them! Joke aside - it doesn't look any different than the others - just the rough edges and shattered corners are smoothed.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

The tumbled glass is glass we've cut or snipped such as triangles, squares, or random cut pieces. Then tumbled for about 30 minutes in the tumbler covered with water. It makes the edges of glass smoother. It's not really that visible but it sure makes a difference when you slide your hand across a mosaiced piece that's been tumbled.
    If you've used a grinder before and know how smooth the edges can feel after it's been ground, then that's it.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

What they say.
    I expected to see almost rounded edges on the glass.
    My DH fortunately dropped a wine bottle yesterday (empty :o)
    So I threw the pieces into my new tumbler for 1/2 hour.
    I thought that it was still too sharp (It was pretty thick glass) so
    I left it to tumble while I gardened for a few hours. Surprisingly the
    shards still look sharp, but you can run your hands threw them now without getting bitten.
    Love it!

• Bright199
    16 years ago

I use alot of china pieces in my mosaics rather than stained glass..Does it work for the china too??

• lilym
    16 years ago

bright, yes it does. I just took some out of a jar and it is amazing. The points look the same but you can rub your fingers all around the edges and it doesn't stick you. I wish I had done it to all that I've already glued on this table I'm working on.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

slow- whats the detergent for? Does it make any frothing bubbles?? I read in the directions you could use powder to burnish your rocks if there is a haze on them!

daylily- when I tried the jar method described above I tried it. It really worked for me, but I have to say I love the convenience of the tumbler I got today!

I used my tumbler for quite a while today doing some china, I had cut up. Now I have to make myself understand..now that its tumbled it will DEFEAT the purpose if I nip them before I use them..I swear I am so horrible about the pieces fitting just so that I'm gonna have to hide the leponitts (which I broke the wheel can you believe it!!!) and hook myself up to shock therapy!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

You crack me UP, CHICKEE: Yeah, I've thought the same thing about cutting petals from squares that I've tumbled, and w/have to tumble them again - duh on me. The detergent is only for cleaning the oil and glass dust off.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I tried this last night. I will start doing this! The pieces were so nice and shiny too. I have a grinder, but it would take all day.
    Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored