Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Mosaic on plastic orb?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 15:29

Hi, I bought an earth globe without a stand because it was made out of plastic. I peeled the map off. it is very strong, no give, but it is quite thin, slightly less than 1/8 inch. It is actually 2 half spheres glued at the equater. I was thinking of mosaicking it and looked for an old post I thought I remembered of Calamity mosaicking plastic lamps but I couldn't find it. What I did find was someone had done a plastic sphere with thinset and grout and the grout cracked in the summer heat because the plastic expanded.

Should I not attempt it? Maybe if I left the holes where the stand inserted (1 inch holes at former north and south poles) heat would dissapate? GEII instead of thinset?

Suggestions?
tia
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Mosaic on plastic orb?

I wouldn't chance it. I WOULD use it to make a mold. Cover it in several layers of rigid wrap (I'm wondering if burlap w/work) and thinset. Make two halves, and when unmolded, put them together and finesse the seam w/a rasp and put together w/thinset. I haven't done this, just a suggestion.

o

That is what I would also .(slow) Put it in some sand or something because the cement could be to heavy.

o

I've been wanting to try the molding that you all do. This could be a first project.
Kathy

o

As an alternative to rigid wrap, you can use fiberglass wall repair tape. its like a screen with big holes. its self adhesive and you can thinset over it right away. and its cheap. buy it at the local hardware store or walmart, Ive been using it a lot.

o

Kathy, I would say it is best to be cautious and try and keep a look out for a thicker globe to use. that one you describe sounds a bit too "thin" to cope with anything but wrapping it with drywall tape and mortar, and turn it into a garden globe. I just scored another big Plexiglass globe, (sorry to brag:)) and am looking for a stand for it, may just make one out of concrete(sonar tube?)but was hoping to find another plexiglass stand like the last one.

o

The newest globe I got, is even bigger than this one. I am going to add solar lights to the new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Tower

o

Ah! plexiglass globes is what you used. I've got to keep an eye out at yard sales.
But now I'm confused. If I wrap it and mortor it, won't the plastic expand and break the mortar?
Should I just use it for a mold? I could try gluing tin foil over it and just putting glass globs without mortar like some folks do at GJ on BBs, I suppose.
Kathy

o
Forgot to say

Gorgeous glass flowers on your orb and stand, Calamity!
I don't think I've ever seen plexiglass orb lights. Where do they come from?
Kathy

o

They are usually those older style globes at the end of your driveway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here