Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what adhesive to use?

Posted by wishdish (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 15:17

I'm finally getting back to working on a birdbath that I started last spring. I've been using thinset for my tiles and dish shards I'm using. But now I'm working on the bowl and I'm using some pink vitreous tiles and some pink stained glass. But the gray thinset is showing through and looks bad. So I've removed the pink tiles and am wondering now what I should use under them? White thinset is only available in 50# bags - don't want that. They do also have some premixed stuff that's white. Or,is this where clear GEII would be appropriate? If I use that, how do I put it on? Of course I want to prevent grout bleed too, cuz that would look just as bad as using gray thinset. I also read that grout won't stick if there's silicone in the space. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what adhesive to use?

Hope someone comes to your rescue - I can only tell you what I do. I w/never use anything but thinset on a concrete birtbath, even w/stained glass. If you want to paint the glass b/f putting it down on your thinset, I think that might work - I'd surely try it, if I were in your position. I w/NEVER use the premixed stuff - just don't trust it.

o

slow, painting is a great idea. but my husband was going to lowe's, so i went ahead and went with him and bought some white thinset. it's more expensive than the gray and it only came in 25# bag, but that's okay. i like lowe's thinset (mapei) ultraflex 2.

o

Great choice on the thinset. Listen to Slow, I tried the premixed stuff and have the disasters to show for it. Only Mapei for me too.

o

Hallelujah: Mapei Ultraflex II - my favorite. It has NEVER failed me on any substrate, except onto Duct Tape.

o

Yup, I just scored a whole 50lb bag of it for a buck...who throws away a whole bag?!@!! Happy Dance!lol! I just finished painting the glass on my pineapple(some parts)and it turned out great! What kind of birdbath is it? Cement?

o

actually i think it's terracotta - a stained terracotta. i started it last year and i may have posted pics. i know i did ask about my pieces falling off and y'all suggested i didn't have my thinset thick enough. so, i've now finished the base, the underside of the bowl and am working on the inside of the bowl now. i'm embarrassed that i left it sit for so long, undone. but it will hopefully be finished within the week. and yes, i'll post pics!!!

o

Flagtruck did you have problems using the premixed thinset on the columns you did, or was it something else?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here