Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Mosaic Printed Image Project

Posted by austingardner (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 15:09

Greetings everyone,
I have multiple gardens that I've recently started. Some of them have stone paths that are basically rocks burried with their flat side up. The stones are off white with dirt as the border in between rocks.
I have grout and color plaster, grout, and clear drying adhesive. I also have a mosaic stone crushing tool which I'd like to use to make the pieces to use for the mosaic, with either broken plates, or some other good suggestions.
I want to use images that I print out from my computer as a template. If there is any suggestions on how to do this, I would love to hear them. I'm thinking about distorting the image down to fewer colors before printing so that it will be a more clear pattern on which to glue.
Will it be possible to create mosaics on the sides of rocks?
Will they be strong enough to with stand being walked on?
Projects with questions
Projects with questions
Projects with questions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Mosaic Printed Image Project

Wow! You are a very ambitious person! Makes me want to run out and work in my garden, thanks!

I am definitely not the voice of experience but I believe that you can use thinset to mosaic on rocks. It is in one of my books.

I'm sure others will answer you. Good luck and be sure to post pics. I'm going out to rake off some of my gardens, finally the snow is almost gone here in NH!

Kathy

o

Mosaicing on stones or rocks - I'd use thinset. You mentioned "color plaster" - don't know what that is, but plaster won't hold up outside. Can't you just free-hand some designs onto your stones or rocks w/chalk?

o

You could print out your pictures, place them under glass, and then use mesh to do your mosaic on, using the photo beneath as a guide. after that is completed, you apply thinset/mortar to the rock and then place your mosaic on the mesh in the bed of thinset.
here are two links that should help you understand.
http://themosaicobsession.blogspot.com/2009/03/double-direct-method-on-mesh.html
http://mosaicbeach.typepad.com/mosaicbeachblog/2007/02/the_mesh_method.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic obsession

o

That's what I was thinking: Indirect method on mesh.

I created this stepping stone by starting with an image from the internet. I cut the petals of the flower into pattern pieces then traced the outline on my stepping stone. You need a fairly simple pattern for that kind of thing, though.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Loribees Garden Blog

o

Love your stepping stone loribee!
Kathy

o

Yes, I remember this stepper - you did a beautiful job on this piece.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here