Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CowParade Austin

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 15:04

Just found out about it; guess I've been living under a rock for the last 6 months! Extended deadline is April 15 to submit a design, and if accepted, a person has one month to: go pick up this life-sized cow statue, mosaic it, and get it back over there. Call me crazy but I'm going for it. IF my design is selected, I will chronical the progress on my blog. Wish me luck!

P.S. Slow, if you go to my blog, please scroll down and view the "Sea Journey" wall hanging with a wooden frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CowParade Austin

You crazy lady - that w/be sooooo much pressure - I could NEVER do that. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your frame for Sea Journey. It now looks sooooooo much better, even though I liked the mitered glass frame. Beautiful piece of art. Are you selling that one, or keeping it? You sure put things together beautifully - EVERY piece fits perfectly.

o

They do a deer here but I am not up to it right now!!! Go for it !!!

o

Thank you, Slow and Nanatricia! Slow, I knew you would like the Sea Journey pieces better with the frame! Before, it just needed something ..... Yep, ladies, I am crazy, but I'm going for it -- wish me luck.

Oh, and Slow, you say you could never do that ? I had to laugh; of course you could. You have a thousand times more energy than I do.

o

what a fantastic project!
Most the cows that I looked at were painted not mosaicked. Although they were interesting, I much prefer the mosaic ones.
Good luck!
Kathy
ps What happenes to the cows afterwards?

o

Kathy, the cows are auctioned off in October, and proceeds go to the Dell Childrens Medical Center. In the past cows have been purchased by the likes of Oprah and Elton John ...

o

Wow, what a huge undertaking! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

o

Silva, how fabulous!!! I'll come see your cow if you get it in the show. I didn't even think of posting the news here. I sent it to a couple of my artist friends, but I don't know whether or not they got around to entering either. They're not mosaicists. One is a painter, the other is a graphic illustrator. Not sure what he would do about the cow, but I know it would be imaginative.

o

Thought I posted about this...forgot the website was being annoying the other day when I tried..anyhoo, this sounds so awesome! I have seen other critters similar too, like here on the Island I saw a killer whale done! I think I've seen horses too. I saw a bulldog(3ft high) at a garden store the other day, that I reallly wanted to mosaic(used to own a bully)but the 1600 price tag was a total deterant, lol! Guess if I was as talented as Slow I would make my own out of wire mesh!heh heh! Too busy these days. I wonder how much tesserae it would take to mosaic this cow...hmmm

o

Excuuuuuuuse me, girlie: You have 10 times my so called talent. Your gardening is making me jealous cuz I can't do it this year. Only consulation is that all my free time now is for mosaicing/building. Have a student this morning - hoping she'll finish her head planter and get it ready for mortaring.

o

I put a photo of the cow design on my blog. Still in draft stage. I will hand-deliver it tomorrow. I may change the comet's tail to more white and less red. Any comments or suggestions are welcome! The plan would be to paint the entire cow and then mosaic only some portions.

Here is a link that might be useful: CowParade entry

o

I did go ahead and change the comet's tail to more white and less red and replaced the picture on the blog. Now will varnish picture, fill out forms, and take it into town tomorrow. Positive thoughts, please.

o

Oh my goodness, SILVA: I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, L.O.V.E the colors and design. Sure hope you win. It w/be sooooo beautiful.

o

Okay y'all. I drove into Austin this morning and turned it in! Now have to wait until May 2 to find out if my entry was selected.

o

Oh, I LOOOOOVE your concept of the celestial cow! So much more creative than I would have been (which is why I keep my day job, LOL).

I really hope you win. Passing along good good wishes for completely selfish reasons: I want to watch your process of making it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Loribees Garden Blog

o

Thanks so much, Lori! I find it hard to wait two weeks! I want to create this cow!!

o

WOW! Love the Galaxy theme, "Milky Way" or "Cow jumped over the moon"!!!

o

Oh my word - TWO WEEKS - I'll be sooooo anxiously awaiting the outcome. Do you know how many entries there are?

o

No I don't know ANYTHING. I am already second-guessing myself thinking things like, Why didn't I do a tribute to Stevie Ray instead? and thinking about all the details like the paint, and the varnish, and how to haul it around, I will be a wreck until we hear one way or the other.....

o

Your cow design is really fantastic, perfect for Austin. You may be second guessing, but I'm already planning to go see it on display!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here