Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do i use mesh and grid system for 3/8' tile?

Posted by peggy_way (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 14:31

The tower on my painted lady will be coral 3/8" glass tile. It's very tiny stuff and I didn't think I could get in on straight by hand. I thought the grid system I ordered would tell me how to use it...wrong! I get that it's plastic so weldbond wont stick to it BUT i'm using thinset on the advise of two mosaic experts I know. :) My first instinct with the grid was to lay out strips (since I want to stagger the tile lines like a brick pattern) and stick that plastic sheet stuff (the kind you use for indirect mosaic stepping stones) on them to pick them up and attach them to the thin set then pull sticky sheet off next day. But what about buttering each tile (which I have been doing all along). Is that even necessary? Do I need to do something with mosaic mesh in this process? I couldn't find any instructions on line so if you all could direct me to something I could read that would be great too! Tell me quick before I do something stupid here..lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do i use mesh and grid system for 3/8' tile?

I dont see why you would need to butter each tile if you are stting it into thinset, seems like over kill and too much to smoosh up between tiles to me. Ive never used mesh but that seems like an extra step for this too.

o

If I were in your project, I'd draw the grid onto the tower, then I'd use GEII on that section. Squeeze out a small amount of clear silicone on a plate, take a small palette knife and butter a small section of the tower, then apply the tiles w/tweezers. This w/let you see the grid as well as keeping your hands off the silicon, causing less mess and clean up. I seldom use GEII, but in your case, I think it w/be easier w/less mess.

o

I was just thinking too-didnt you say that was pvc pipe? That seems like a pretty slick surface for thinset to stick to. I like silicone myself, I love the way stuff just sticks, and I use it all the time. Slow's idea sounds like a winner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here