Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New WIP, gift for grown up foster daughter

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 13:54

Our dfd loves roses, partly because her mom (who died when dfd was 10) did. So I've been collecting plates with roses for a while. And I chopped them up the other day and realized they looked good (and her taste) with the shimmery glass tile sheet I'd picked up at HD.

Photobucket

See my bucket to my rock tumbler that Calamity gave me? I really put that sucker to use!

Anyway dfd asked me if I had a spare lamp that I could give her. She knows I do because I collected a lot of lamps back when I used to decoupage them. So here is an ugly lamp with 6 somewhat flattish sides, and I have the lower half of 2 sides done...

Photobucket

Just to hurry me along, I told her I'd give her a lamp when I see her next Wednesday! So I've got to be ready to grout on Tuesday!

I hope she likes it. I've got to figure out what to do with the base and the little gap between. The upper part I have figured out, just going to do all the bottoms first.

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New WIP, gift for grown up foster daughter

Kathy, that's going to be beautiful! What a smart idea to repurpose an old lamp. Love the colors and the way you've nipped out the roses from those old ceramics.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

o

Love the shards. In my book by Kaffe Fassett and Candace Bahouth, there is a lamp w/the same shards. He only used the rose shards, and filled the gap w/pearls, and it's a beauty. Yours w/be beautiful too.

o

WOW! That is beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished. She's going to love it! I can see a family heirloom in the making there. Nice selection of pattern and color too.

Addiesue

o

I have that book too, Slow. I'll have to look again. I'm glad you mentioned it because perhaps beads of some kind would be a solution for around the base and just above it.
Kathy

o

WOW! YOU are just giving that little tumbler a workout!!!heh heh! I think your color choices are gorgeous! And I think that if you can find some string beads/jewelery/etc as Slow's suggestion, would be ideal! OR maybe some porceline flowers, like the kind from England?

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Flowers used on Cake....

o

I like the idea of the flowers. Don't know if I can find enough by Tuesday. There was a vase at one of the thrifts that I thought about buying to pry some off. Now if I could only remember which store.
Kathy

o

Can't wait to see the final pic! How's it going? She's going to love it.

o

I've got the six sides doen as shown in the pic in first post. Plus the rose pieces up above. The top is harder because its more curved. We are going for a long weekend to the American Primrose Society's national show near Boston Friday and this weekend. So there is no way I'll finish until next week. I don't have much in bloom because everything is behind schedule, but tomorrow I'm digging up some plants to take to the show!
Thanks for asking.
Hopefully I'll post finished pics next week.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here