Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Work in progress

silvamae
14 years ago

Please check out my latest, a stained glass mosaic on a picture frame. Scroll down past the spider web and the glass head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's mosaic blog

Comments (13)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

What a neat frame - wonderful colors. Hey - I recognize some of those little penny tiles :) The glass head - when you mosaic it, are you going to put a light in it. W/make a perfect little lamplet. Did you order it? Since I like little lamps all over the house, I might order one to do for a night light. Anxious to see what you do w/yours. I'm in a slump too. Have had a crown-shaped wall art glued for weeks and can't get it grouted. Working outside in the gardens, planting and prettying things up takes all my strength these days.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey there, slowmedown, thanks for the comments. I bought the glass head at a garage sale nearby. I found a base online by searching for "lighted base" and I thought I would make a cool nightlight with the head. In the Spring working outside in the flowerbeds takes a lot of time and energy, and it's also the best weather to mosaic outside, nipping and grouting.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh and by the way, I am enjoying the penny tiles! Thank you again. They are great. Add just the right little Zap.

• fldirt
    14 years ago

Very nice! I love the glass with the glass nuggets.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I finished the picture frame and I'm now ready to tackle something large. Wedi, perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP finished

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS - that is soooooo beautiful. Love the color grout, and that glass is gorgeous. What a beautiful piece of work!

• sunshine45
    14 years ago

Wow, silvamae, I just love your stuff. That sparkly grout is fantastic. Your stair risers were one of the reasons I decided to tackle my little backsplash project. Thanks for such inspiration!

• fldirt
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness, that turned out beautiful.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

These projects (candle & frame) are soooo lovely! I'm just catching up here...what is vancouver glass? Oh and I like your blog, especially the side bar descriptions of glass...that's a great link!! Oh and talking to the kids...how great!!!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Silvamae, that is one gorgeous frame!!! Love everything about it...

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all. Calamity, the glass I call Vancouver came from a small stained glass company in Vancouver, WA that went out of business. These people bought out their supply and they have it in milk crates in the crawl space at their house. They sold some of it on eBay. I really like it because each and every piece has an inner fire. If you pick up a piece of pale blue, for example, and hold it up to the sunlight, it is full of a brilliant orange. So interesting. There is ridged glass and what they call drapery glass, and some of it has bubbles in it. Anyway, if I won the Lotto, I would fly to Washington state and rent a truck and buy allll that glass . . .

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a cute story. We babysat a little 2 year old boy this past weekend, the grandson of a friend of mine, and I finished the frame and showed everyone and then held it down to him and said, "Do you want to see," and he took it in both hands and hugged it to his chest and said, "Mine!"

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Awwwwwww - how sweet! Hey - another possible protegee.

Sponsored