Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Garden Planter

texaswild
13 years ago

Need some planters - this one w/be behind the front fountain to hold English Ivy. While it grows up over the back of the fountain, it'll hold Impatiens.

Planter

Comments (23)

• loribee2
    13 years ago

OH MY that is absolutely adorable!! Love the curley q's on the end. Can't wait to see how you mosaic it! How thick do you make the walls? And are you planning to put drainage holes in the bottom?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The curley qs were an after thought - handles. The walls - if you mean thickness OF the walls - it's two layers of mesh. If you mean depth, width, length of the planter, it's the width of the sheet of the lath - 27 1/2". Height is 15" and 8" wide. Yes, I always put in the drainage holes after it's mortared. W/a screwdriver/hammer, I just poke holes around the bottom, sometimes I forget to poke them while wet. In that case, I've been successful in doing it after it drys.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Correction - it's 16" tall.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

What a beautiful shape!
    Its kind of classic planter but artsy at the same time.
    I'm eager for the weather to warm up so I can attempt a mesh project.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

This a great idea!!! LOVE it! I was thinking of making a planter or 2 for my deck(esplanier fruit trees) and now know why I haven't started yet...the idea was too plain jane, I was put off!ha! Now I see the idea coming forth!!! Thanks Slow, I'm gonna be copying this idea! It may have to be our POTM(project of the month)!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's always rewarding to see someone inspired to copy an idea of mine, CALAM. I'll be watching for yours - it'll be a doozy. There's all kinds of possibilities on planters. I think I'll be making more too. CONCRETE - doncha have a little space in your garage or basement where you can work? I'll be mortaring these in my garage. Would start today, but gotta run to Lowes for fencing wire - gotta build a trellis of some sort for the rose bush to be planted.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

There you again slow.....you just keep coming up with the coolest designs....I'll be watching for your future posts of work in progress.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mortar mix applied and w/be ready for the mosaicing to begin SOON.
    Planter mortared

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Sheesh! You just whip these together lickety split! I see you braced the top middle(for bowing?), I stopped by the recycle today and scooped some more wire mesh(2 kinds!) and had to pry myself away from some great terra cotta tile(2"squares!)I just have so much right now, that I am swamped, gotta start making stuff and use some supplies!

• loribee2
    13 years ago

That is so darned cute! I would make one, but if it's not on a drip system I won't water it. LOL Maybe for plastic plants? LOL

It is inspiring me to maybe create my own raised bed edging, though. Though maybe I could even save time by just putting a mosaic over those scalloped cement blocks. Crap, the ideas keep piling up!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CALAM: Yes, the top was splaying, so I wired it. I didn't catch the ends though, - they curved in just a tad, but that's because of poor shaping and checking b/f beginning the mortar. By the time I noticed it, my back was screaming and I didn't want to undo what I'd done, so I left them. Shoot - gotta have some of my signature crookedness in there. I thought it was small until I started applying the mortar. Thought I'd never finish. LORI: That's the beauty of this mosaicing - you are never w/o ideas. Flower bed borders w/be a great use of this lath work. I'm not sleeping much lately - thinking of how to mosaic these two pieces I have going.

• addiesue
    13 years ago

Hi Slow...that is so nice! I love the shape of it. Your stuff always looks so balanced...how do you do that!? If I had made that, one side would be shorter than the other and it would have a different thickness all the way around...lol. I can't wait to see it mosaiced. Oh, and I saw your little fairy castle and me and my husband love it! He's crazy for castles and thought it to be the PERFECT addition to your Queendom. It makes me want to climb up in the attic and pull my Barbies out..lol.

Addiesue

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL. Thanks, ADDIE, for not noticing all the flaws in my work. I figure after it is mosaiced, the flaws show less, and I also figure at my age - 76 - I excuse myself for not striving for more perfection - ain't gonna happen. Hope to start mosaicing the planter today. Haven't a clue how yet. Hope I don't work on it mentally during church this morning.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Slow: I have been madly cleaning up the yard...trying to find places to stash junk!lol! And came across a 5 gal bucket of black tile, was so excited, I KNOW it will be on a new planter soon!!!heh heh! It is kinda fun doing a big clean up, it makes me look at long forgotten stashes!ha!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are gonna disappear one day in your stash. Lordy, I'll bet I could go shopping in your stash and find the coolest things. When you gonna start USING it??????? You can become a clean freak and never play w/your toys. Started the planter today, and it's gonna be black/white and a touch of pink - hearts, of course. Too tired to take a pic of the beginning. Still have to walk the Tobster, and my back is screaming STOP!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finished gluing, w/grout tomorrow so yard man can put in place behind front fountain for planting. Sad little planter full of flaws. Should spend more time on making the structure.
    Planter ungrouted

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Very Adorable! I like the simplisticness of it! It will look great when grouted!, I am thinking of my planter...it will have that ridgid foam insulation inside it>as structural support, and also winter insulation for the espalier fruit tree that it will be made for. When I made a "Star Tower"(with the glass stars I bought in Mexico), I needed some cement board in the middle to give it some support.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CALAM: That tower - I'm a little confused here. You mean this is a little square tower in which you w/plant a tree??? It looks to be about five ft. tall??? Do you find that the hardware cloth isn't quite as sturdy as the diamond lath? This tower is very interesting. Love the stars. Oh, BTW - on a recent house/garden tour, one of the guests - my back fence neighbor who brought her brother's family to see my house - noticed that little blue bird you sent me on my cup handle birdbath, and said it was a collector's item and that maybe I shoud re-think putting it on there. Told her it was a gift, and was priceless and that nothing is sacred when it comes to mosaicing. What's the history on that little Bluebird of Happiness?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finished and ready to move to the garden. Looks a bit homemade and folksy, but that's the best I can do.
    Grouted

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I love it !!! Turned out great!!!

• loribee2
    13 years ago

SLOW!!! I love how your planter turned out. I absolutely adore the folksy/artsy look of the hearts. LOVE the colors. I'm not just saying this, but I think this is one of my favorite things you've made.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW - what a nice compliment. Thanks, LORI: - I can always count on my forum friends to make me feel better about my humble pieces. I managed to put in five Algerian Ivy plants and two six-packs of Impatiens in this one. Eventually this whole area w/have planters and tall plants to hide the crummy plumbing cover I made. Thinking Bamboo in a couple pots. The Loquat tree is evergreen.
    Planters in place

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I thought this was going at your other water feature! (I was trying to figure out why you would want these behind the wall? Oh I am So EXCITED to be getting to see this all in person!!! The star tower is just an example of a past project...I plan to use the diamond lath for the planter. The blue bird is just a thrift store find, I collect them but only if they are cheap! (They are collectables, but hey, why not enjoy them outside instead of collecting dust inside!!)

Sponsored