Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
let the mosaicing begin!

Posted by cait1 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 4:53

I started mosaicing the bench yesterday and the last pic is how far I got today.

First I'll explain how I did it (pics included). I came up with a bit of the design only and I'm not really sure what will come next. Kinda exciting, really.

Drew the design then colored it in with tiles/broken plates. Kinda like a coloring book. I then perforated around the design, stuck the paper against the bench, used a marker to transfer the design creating a dot pattern, then I connected the dots. This is the method Michelangelo used when he painted the Sistine Chapel. Not that this will be anything near the Sistine Chapel - but borrowing techniques always helps.

I had covered the tiles with tape so they could all be moved together in their pattern, then mostly buttered them on the bench one by one. Some places I was able to spread the thinset on the bench then squoosh the tiles in.

One thing I learned is that a little thinset goes a heck of a long way. I think Ronnie mentioned that, and probably Slow but my brain doesn't remember that far back, but until you do it yourself you don't realize just how little thinset ya need to mix! I'm much more used to mixing up cement which never goes far enough.

So now for your pics!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: let the mosaicing begin!

Amazing! What a brilliant way to transfer the design! Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Ann

o

Well I knew this was gonna be spectacular, but this has already exceeded that. The Syrians do beautiful raised painted designs on just about everything, and that's the method of transferring their designs - just the way you describe. I remember one day getting too excited while they were making one for me and I smudged their chalk - oh, boy!!! They said they use five ingredients in their cement they apply for the raised surface w/a pointed stick about the size of a pencil sharpened, but w/never tell me their recipe. Didn't mean to chase a rabbit. You REALLY have taken hold of a wonderful project. Love your designs and am anxious to see it progress.

o

That bench will be amazing!! I can't believe how far you've come with it. It's such a big job.

Do you have to cut all the stained glass pieces or do they come already cut?

o

Da-haaanngg!! Holy dawg snot and everything else!!!

o

Thanks!!

Ann, I can't wait to see how it progresses, either! lol

Slow, I LOVE your story. Have you ever seen the butter sculptures by the Tibetan monks? Long time ago there was an exhibition at I think the Asian Society in NYC and I went to see it. It was AMAZING!! I really want to do something colorful like that. I'm putting a link below.

Carolann, I cut all the pieces. It is a fiddley job and getting thinset on some of the smaller pieces is a pain. lol But I'm having FUN!

WOW!! I get dawg snot thrown at me!! Now I am excited!! Must be doing something right! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: images butter sculptures

o

Oh, my gosh. What beautiful work. This piece is going to be spectacular. We want photos at every stage!

o

Cait!! This is spectacular!! I can't believe how far it has come already. Just think from nothing comes this beauuuuuuuutifullllllll bench!! How cool is that?? When I grow up and become a real mosaicer I want to do something like that. Smile..

I bet you are really enjoying yourself so keep us posted with more pix along the way. Really inspiring!!!

o

WOW! Thanks for the WIP pics! I had never heard of that way of transfering a picture...I like it! I really love your design and can't wait to see more! Looks like it's a lot of fun to do!!

o

what a wonderful project. i just love everything about it. cant wait to see more progess...barb

o

Oh my goodness what a beautiful design you came up with,I would die to be able to draw like that.Like everyone says it's beyond what I could imagine.You will be a star on this one for sure.Love your colors also,can't wait to see more!

o

CAIT! FAN FREAKING TASTIC!!!!! OMG it's wonderous lady! WOOOT!!!!!

o

OMG..........OUTSTANDING........trying to keep my mouth closed, but keeps popping open in awe! This is just brillant!

o

What a great way to transfer designs! That bench is really neat! PJ

o

Oh CAIT!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! And that butter sculpturing is sooo amazing! (It ain't sculpting my thighs as nice!Lol!) I wanna do some cement/tufa carving with Klinger this yr. This bench is sooo inspiring! Love the design already! I was thinking for my "Throne" chair, made like yours, that I will be using my smashed porceline toilet pcs, thus "The Throne Chair", and now I'll have to raise the bar on my design idea, cuz yours is so wonderful already!

o

I am quite impressed and to think you asked for our humble opinion! Are you also doing the designs on mesh and then placing them? If that is what you are doing, why not skip the step of drawing them on the bench as well? What are you planning for the background? Like all the others, beautiful and I can't wait for the next edition. Keep up the good work.
Carol

o

I read this post this morning before school, but my school blocks so many photos I couldn't see any pictures, aaaauuuuggghhhh!!!! So I thought about it all day and now its 9:27 and I'm home and finally able to see them! Can't wait to watch the progress, congrats on a fine start.

o

Oh wow this is so totally cool. I am dieing to try one of these. Awesome job so far can't wait to see more.

o

Oooooooooo - the butter sculptures are awesome. Reminds me of the sand art in P.V. So glad to be in this forum w/all you artistic folks. Anxious to see what comes next in this wonderful piece.

o

WOW!!! Ya'll make me feel so great... I'm blushin' like mad down under.
I want to thank you all for your wonderful and encouraging comments.
My design inspiration is based on a set of plates I got a garage sale - a lot of 8 each of - dinner plates, dessert plates, bowls, and mugs. They have a sunflower design on them. I went to India years ago and in the state of Andhrah Pradesh there are (at least at that time) fields of sunflowers surrounding the road. So sunflowers remind me of my Indian adventure and the bench is India themed.

I don't have a mosaic store near where I live so I'm now in the process of ordering some very colorful tiles from... AMERICA, cuz it comes out that I can get tiles from America for half the price I can here - and that includes shipping!! Can you believe that? Well, I can cuz everything here in Oz is super expensive. Gas is now $6 a gallon.

I haven't done any more mosaicing today but I've been drawing out designs and working that out.

Carol - I transfer the design cuz I'm not working with mesh. I think you saw that little piece of mesh in one of the pics but that's all I have. Not much use when ya're doing an entire bench ;-)

Glad you're enjoying the butter sculptures.

I'm really happy that ya'll enjoying what I'm doing. You all inspire me so much and it feels good to give a bit of that back!

o

$6 a gallon for gas!!!! GULP! It's just under $3.50 here and I try not to drive in to town unless I really, really have to! If it goes up to $6 here I will definitly have to get the bike in shape and me too!!

o

I think if you find that there are things or tiles that you need, I can get you up a care package and send it to you. I probably wouldn't miss much or even know it is gone. You just let us Texans know what you need and I bet we could come up with it? If not me,I imagine Slow and I together could get it all together. I think you are doing a beautiful job and I would never have thought to do it the way you have done and I couldn't have come up with.
You should be proud and not turning red.

o

Carol that is soooo very sweet of you! I kinda have tears in my eyes. My Mom sends me care packages but they don't include tiles! LOL
After I wrote in the other thread "does anyone live near..." I told DH that I was gonna move to Texas and looked up real estate in Texarkana. Saw a pretty little house and showed DH and he said, 'So let's move."!! Well, I know that's not gonna happen but Texas is a place I'm really gonna look into.
If there's ever something I really want and can't find I'll be sure to take you up on your offer. Thanks you so very much for that. My heart is happy!!!

o

Well of COURSE, I'd join FLAG in sending a care package. I remember very well doing w/o and living on the local economy whereever I was, but it sure is nice to get a package from "home" now and then. I'm horrified that you pay $6 for gasoline. Looks like ours is gonna match yours b/f long. Sure w/be nice if you moved here. It's a wonderful place to live.

o

It's all been said, but I've just got to put my "gasp" in. What an amazing piece this is going to be, I'm in awe. SmileyCentral.com

o

Thanks, rchovey! I love those smiley guys. Never saw that one before.
Slow, thanks too for the thought. Oh, and by the time gas gets to $6 in America it'll be $15 in Oz!! This is a crazy country.

Anyway, this is as far as I've gotten to. Put in my lotus flower and started the peacock. Making the peacock was TERRIBLE!! Lots of little pieces - made me think of Jane.

HEY JANE!!! Where's your peacock?? I'd LOVE an update. Went looking for it and... YOU NAUGHTY GIRL - you've deleted the pics!! Really wanted to steal some ideas off of you. HAHA

May be a couple of days before I get more done. Still trying to figure out what else I'll do. Have a lot of ideas (funny how they keep coming once you get in 'the groove') but have yet to figure out how to execute them.
ENJOY!

o

this is going to be so beautiful. i can't believe the amount of work involved so far - amazing!!

o

WOWSERS!!! LOVE IT!!! Sheesh, I've been doing nuthing and plenty of it for the last few days! AND we had a freak snow storm, 14inches!!! All my daffys and such are all ruined!!! No power for a day!Saw the little humming birds hungry so cooked up a batch of sugar water for them on my camp stove!ha! Sheesh! Your bench is sooo cool! Love the lotus/lily, and the peacock, WOW! This is far exceeding my wildest imagination!!! Way to go Cait!!

o

Cait!! You are the one that is brave!! How long have you been mosaicing? What about building concrete structures??That bench is a work of art ! Can't wait to see it all come together. You should be very proud.

Yes, Texas is a wonderful place to live, we just moved away 9 years ago but lived in Austin, Houston, College Station, Georgetown and so miss the people!! The friendliest in the world.

Keep us posted on the bench's progress. We can't wait to see it completed.

o

That is one **** of a work of art! I hope you move to TX so I can see your stuff in person! PJ

o

Love the Lotus flower and the peacocks are gonna be awesome! Thanks for the update!

o

Thanks! It's slow going and I was getting a bit frustrated yesterday while gluing in those tiny pieces. And it's getting cold. Not too fun working outside when it's in the 50's when you just stay in one place, in the shade. Great leaf raking weather, though!!

Jane, you're not mosaicing/goging/leadlighting for a FEW days?? What happened???!!! Don't you have a garden art show coming up in a couple of weeks? Get busy, lady!! The world is anxiously awaiting CJ originals!!

Merm, I haven't been mosaicing long at all. A few ceramic animals, 4 pots, now the bench. But I'm a concrete addict and make paths like CRAZY!! No hypatuffa or however you spell it which is weird cuz I do love the stuff!

o

My goodness, I looked at this the other day and didn't comment. I don't know what to say that hasn't already!! That is going to be one beautiful bench!!

o

Love what you're doing. Can't wait to see what you put in the center. I had thought your first penciled sketching was your design. Guess you changed your mind. This is ever-so beautiful. Do you think you'll finish b/f your winter? Fifties already - I remember working on my back, blue pedestal in the upper 30s and 40s. Not fun at ALL, but just couldn't wait for spring.

o

Slow - the sketch was always for the sides of the back. I have another idea for the center... but ya'll have to wait for that! I really need to figure the design for the seat face. I'll do something simple for the seat itself since it's mostly for sitting on. hehe
Beautiful day here today so had to spend time weeding one of my weedier beds, then I continued work on the bench.
Here's the pic for today...

Enjoy!

o

Oh you l'il tease. Know what you mean about the weeding. I want to start another project but gotta finish the toughest, weediest spot today - whaaaaa. And I used to LOVE to weed!

o

Cait - the word stunning doesn't even begin to live up to this piece! It is absolutely ....., well, don't know a superlative that **would** fit....

waiting with baited breath for the next installment (BTW, in winter no one notices the weeds, so I say let'em go till spring! LOL)

Pat

o

CAIT CAIT CAIT!!!!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
I agree with everyone else here. This is BEYOND beautiful!!!
IT is so much fun seeing you bring your bench to life!! The flowers and lotus look lifelike and so fantabulous!!!

Can't wait to see the next pix!!! Stop that weeding!! LOL!! WE want you to finish the bench before winter!!!

Whereever are you going to put your bench when completed?? Some place of honor and maybe with chains so someone doesn't try to steal it out from under you (sorry couldn't resist that) and then put on Ebay

Did I say this is and will be a real work of art!!

o

wOW... I'm totally speechless... wow

o

LOVE those peacocks!! Every new picture is so breathtaking and such a treat!
Thanks for sharing!!

o

Cait I too would like to say WOW! wonderful job!.

Thanks for sharing
Bebob

o

Amazing that is just darn amazing!! PJ

o

Oh, your heart must dance when you go out and look at that! We are soooooooo wanting to see more!

o

THOSE PEACOCKS ARE FREAKIN" AWESOME!!!! LUV LUV LUV THIS!!!!

o

I started writing when I got up this morning but the electricity company was working on lines in the area so just as I was about to post WHAM! the lights went out. My pc, included. lol So what I was saying this morn was....

What a great way to wake up in the morn!! Seeing all those sweet posts, knowing that ya'll are enjoying seeing what I'm doing. Gosh, ya'll make me feel soooo goooood!!!!!

Pat, I looked at bebob's post about the wire mesh, don't know if you'll see that entry, and I feel like such an goofball!! ROFL I don't then smoosh the tile into thinset, I remove each piece, thinset that, then place it on the bench. I've thought about smooshing the taped piece into thinset but refrained because the thinset would then become my grout and I want to have colored thinset - and I haven't decided on grout color though it will most probably be a dark blue... I'm leaning away from charcoal or black. So if I were to smoosh a taped section into the thingset, is there a way to still be able to grout afterwards? I mean if I haven't added a colorant to the thinset already.

And I have to weed cuz I need to plant my BULBS!!! It's that time of year for me. ;-)

o

I agree w/you, CAIT - I like to control the grout, cuz if your using a different color than the adhesive, and some oozes up, it'll show. The glass is so thin, it'd be touchy to control the ooze IMO. You're doing just great - follow your art!!! I have to weed, or they'll cover my beds - rich soil here, and last year's neglect caught up w/me. This mosaicing disease sure eats up every other thing that needs to be done around here.

o

Thanks for that confirmation, Slow. I haven't been the neatest with the ooze out but am doing my best. I tend to cut such small pieces so it's not always that easy to prevent that from happening. After the thinset dries a bit I cut around the tiles with a piece of thin wire scraping out the ooze. It's very time consuming but I'm confident the result will be worth the effort.

Rich soil? Ahhh, I envy you that! I neglected the garden for most of the summer b/c of my bathroom reno so there's much to do out there!

o

"This mosaicing disease sure eats up every other thing that needs to be done around here".
Agrees the lady with a week's full of dishes in the sink, 2 weeks worth of laundry to do (down to wearing the old underwear and holey socks), dust bunnies the size of jackalopes, floors I might as well throw seed on and grow something and weeds? Those aren't weeds, it's a new thriving groundcover I'm learning to embrace, LOL!!

o

LOL, CINDI: Oh, are you saying - to quote Willie/Waylon - "cleanest dirty shirt". Been there, done that, have the stained, siliconed, paint-covered work clothes to prove it.

o

Your bench is amazing! Love the colors and design, and like everyone else reading this, can't wait for the next picture to see what you've added! This is just beautiful.

o

LOL Cindiloo!!! Call it ecoliving!!!lol! My DH is a clean freak and loves housework! nuff said?lol! I dust tri-annually... I try annually!!!lol! I phoned the place I'm scoring som free styrofoam boxes...a vets, they said "Come gettem!!!"

o

What's housework??

LOL The sad thing is that since I last posted it's mostly been raining, freezing, the most horrible weather and all I can do is look out the window and wonder when the sun will come out!! Housework is the last thing on my mind.

I did manage to do some mosaicing in between rain showers (for like 2 hours in total) and today was finally sunny until about 3 when it quickly became too cold to stay out there. I couldn't move my hands anymore.

So here's the current pic of the mosaic bench. Have no idea when I'll be able to work on it again cuz rain is in the forecast for the next several days.

Hope you like.....

o

An awesome project!

o

FAN FREAKING TASTIC!

o

I haven't posted a response thus far but been watching your progress. You are AWSOME!!! That is probably one of the most beautiful creations I've seen. I can't believe how you started from scratch.. made the couch and the design is wonderful.

o

Yep, it's beautiful. Hope the weather clears up for you SOON!

o

WoW!! It's coming along beautifully, you should move that baby inside!

o

WOW! That is the neatest bench I've ever seen! PJ

o

Yay! A new picture!!! WOW! I was wowed by the peacocks, and now I am double wowed by the added sun! This is soooo
beautiful! Hope the weather turns nice for ya! Thanks for the update!

o

Cait, Everybodies said it, but WOW!! It's just amazing!!! I'm gearing up to do some brick work here so I'll be posting some pics for ya!

o

Another WOW, Cait.

That is simply divine, fantastic, lovely, gorgeous, and on and on. Great perfect job. I love it and you must be so proud,...!!!
HOpe it clears up soon, i want my next installament picture!!!!

o

This bench is just the ultimate in beautiful. Wowee, girl. We are all so blown away. I know how frustrating it must be for you to have to wait for weather. But from my side, it's fun to look every day WAITING for an update photo....and it's not over YET.....and that's so FUN! You're doing an awesome job. We can hardly wait til the next installment. I hope for your sake the weather clears soon and you can have the joy of seeing this develop and become it's final beautiful self. Waiting here in California, and checking every day on your progress.....
Daisy

o

Cait, that is just so beautiful. A throne for a Queen! I love those peacocks !
Love it ALL and can't wait to see it completed !!

o

Thank you all for cheering me on like you do. Ya'll sure do know how to make a gal feel GREAT!!
And your wishes for better weather worked! Today was, for a good part of the day, sunny and I was able to finish the sun and start putting in the sky.
So here's today's update:

As a little extra bonus I've added a pic of the path opposite the mosaic bench in Our Lady Gardyn. The recent rains have really done the garden here a lot of good and everything is flowering. For those who don't know about Our Lady Gardyn it's a garden I started developing about a year and a half ago. It amazes me how quickly these plants grew in just that small amount of time.
ENJOY!

o

Look how your garden has gorwn!!

The bench is just awesome!

o

It's the perfect spot for meditation ! LOVE it !

o

This is so gorgeous and interesting at the same time. Your garden is beautiful! PJ

o

It's coming right along beautifully! And your garden is amazing! What a lovely work area, here's to continued good weather. Thanks for the update....keep 'em coming!

o

WOW!!! Your garden has grown sooo fast!!! I love the colors you are using for your bench, it's all coming together perfectly! I've been trying to plan some projects while DH is away, and it seems like I get sidetracked by so many things that I didn't count on when I planned these projects...Ranchero Side-tracko! Camp Calamity!ha! Hopefully I will have a nice place like yours when I'm done! Way too much to do before I get to my throne!!!

o

Wow! you have come so far!!!
I saw your art at the bowl exchange, and am amazed at where you are now! You are jammin babe!!!too cool!
Hope I can make such strides! You are kickin' butt there girl. whoohoo!! wish I had pics to share. Just never took any! Love your work, You are really kicking it up!

o

Oh, how wonderful, CAIT. You REALLY progressed in the fast lane on the bench. I know you hate to leave it for your winter, but it'll be so wonderful to get back to it in the spring. Your path is so inviting. Having handled a few bricks and borders around here lately, I so admire your excellent workmanship. You're a true artist.

o

That bench is the coolest thing EVER. It would look so good in my yard. LOL

I can't wait to see the finished product.

o

Well, I've got to say, I ALWAYS open your thread before almost any other to see if there are update photos. You KNOW we all love this. Mosaic on! It's wonderful, wonderful!

o

Wow... THANKS!!! I must admit knowing how much ya'll are enjoying the project drives me to do as much as I can when the weather allows. And for the past 2 days it's been SUNNY here! And today was even WARM and sunny. It was so wonderful to work on the bench and not have my fingers go numb from the cold after an hour.

Daisy that is sooo sweet of you to say! One update pic coming up! Hope you like.....

I decided to use lighter blue tiles around the peacock so it shows up better. The tone of the other blue is too close to the tone of the peacock tiles. Unfortunately, I only have one tile of this color and it breaks very crumbley. And although you can't tell in the pic, the tiles under the lotus are a pale sea green.

I'll be making a paisley design on the seat, maybe the arms, too. I really haven't gotten that far with my design ideas to think about what I'll do on the arms. I'm starting to formulate ideas for the 'skirt' of the bench but don't have any concrete ideas, yet.

Slow, when it got too cold yesterday to kneel still (that sounds weird but I can't 'sit still' when I mosaic, got to kneel) while working on the bench I decided to finish Merlin Way, the path that leads to this area. Brick work is much more energetic and gets the blood pumping.
Here's a pic of Merlin Way. Now I just gotta grout it then make the sign!

Enjoy!
PS Rain is forecasted for the next 4 days so I'm not sure when I'll be able to work on it again. Maybe we'll get rain, maybe we won't. They almost never get the forecast right here so I'm hoping for a few more sunny days.

o

Cait! Sheesh!!! Dorothy may not wanna go to OZ, but I do!!! Just like I have said before, I'd pitch my tent there anyday!!!(Me and my Little dogs!) Lotto? hmmm....I'm trying to help jumpstart another forum, oddlyenough mosaics, and will be posting about my Throne over there. I have forgotten, do you mortar your path? Another rainy day here, so will finish my door...

o

Jane darlin', you're welcome here anytime! HA Where's this new website... I wouldn't mind having a peek. I've checked out Carl's place but I'll be danged if I know how to navigate around it. LOL I like the simple forum here and get lost over there.
So what kind of styrofoam did you get for your throne? Will you be carving it? And where the HECK is the pic of your finished peacock??!! I can't find it!!
Ok, and yes, I mortar the bricks down. Nothing's level here (even though I do try to make it as level as possible) so I wouldn't trust just laying them on a sand base. Also, bricks on sand are usually gapless - you don't 'grout' in between them.
Looking forward to your door. You'll be finished today? Whooowee... you work fast!! Maybe you should come down here and help me out with this bench!!

o

Yay, an Oz update! Looking good! That paisly is gonna be yummy on the seat!
I'm envious of your brick path, wish I had the talent to do something like that and the will to do the work!
Here's hoping your forecast is wrong and you get some more dry days!

o

Oh Cait. Love watching your progress on this. And what a path. Would love to walk through your gardens.

o

Beautiful,wish I could see it in person..tell me about the ribbon looking piece in the sun,I can't tell what that is???It's beautiful I just can't see it real well.Love all your paths...

o

WOW! That is more than spectacular, more than amazing! I can't seem to come up with the right word to describe it. It's just simply beautiful! All the work, all the detail...wow! wow! wow!

Be Safe, Rach

o

Oh Cait!! IT is so fabulous!!! YOu are going to love and enjoy this bench for the rest of your life and then some!! So beautiful. And I love the light blue tiles, does bring out those wonderful peacock's...

And your garden pathways.. oh how I want to do something like that. Do you have access to a big bunch of bricks?? Your's look timeless and so inviting.

way to go girl. keep those pix coming. when you are done with those projects, you should post an open house on the forum and we can all come and look at everything Oh please..

o

Thanks gals! And guess what... it's SUNNY!! So I won't spend to much time on here yacking so I can get out there and continue working.

Crack, the 'ribbon' says AUM. In devanagari script the '3' makes the 'a' sound, the swirly attached to the side makes the 'oo' sound, and over that would be a line but I used a half moon, and the dot over the line is the 'mmm' sound. A swami in India taught me that. Most people pronounce it OM but that's wrong, it's actually 3 sounds A-U-M. And that's your Sanskrit lesson for the day! hehe

Merm - 2 years ago Jane scored a ton of bricks for next to nothing and I was sooo jealous (not really) that I HAD to have some of my own. So on ebay I found an excellent bargain and actually won the bid scoring about 3,000 bricks at a little more than 3 cents a brick. I've made raised veg beds and these paths with them and still have quit a few bricks left. Where the bench sits is actually a small area of my garden - only around 26' by 164' to the side and back of my house. I have 3/8ths of an acre of land so there's still a heck of a lot of space left to play. But this area is my secret garden so it gets the most attention. At least it will be a secret garden once the hedging plants grow enough to actually be a hedge. ;-)

o

As always - love your path, and the bench is looking really good.

o

It's totally amazing...and gets more so each time I look at it. Keep the up dates comming.

o

Any update on the progress of this bench? I have been away for awhile and couldn't find anything when I did a search.

o

Come on Cait it has been forever, we need to see what you have done. PLESE

o

CAIT, are you still out there?? Dying to see what you've been doing. . .
Ann

o

I agree, always too long between Cait visits!

o

I am so glad this thread resurfaced. I somehow missed it.
Such wonderful work. I don't completely understand the pattern transfer part (I tend to have to hands on to get it).
I sure hope she gets in here with more pics.

o

Wow, PEE ME OFF why don't you???lol! Your bench is amazing, beautiful, superbe, magnifique, totally hot!!! I love everything about it, the design, colours, style everything. Congradulations!

o

I would sure love to see the finished bench!!! I bet it is gorgeous!!!! Please let us see!!!! Cathy

o

WOW!! Decided to mosey on over this side and couldn't believe I saw this thread resurface!!

OK, I don't know if you all you guys are aware, but February we had really bad fires here and I was running away like twice a week for several weeks.

If you want to read about my horrid experience go here.

Since then I've been like a crazy lady clearing all the long grass, dead bushes, and weeds from my property; keeping my property safe from fires has become my priority.

BUT, I finally started work on my bench again today!! It got too dark to take pics but after I work on it some more tomorrow I will post pics so you can see how far (or how not far, hehe) I progressed.

So you can see that I have not been totally idle when it comes to mosaicing, here are a couple of pots I've done. I don't think I posted them here; I know I did on GJ.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoy!
Cait

o

Oh Cait! I am certainly glad you are safe. What a horrid experience. Welcome back. Your pots are beautiful and so exact. You certainly haven't lost your touch. I am dying to see the bench, you are my inspiration...keep up the good work.

o

OMG! I feel sooo bad. Here I am begging for bench pictures and I had totally forgotten what you must be going through. I am so glad that you are ok. I love the pots but can't wait to see your bench.
Take care.
Ann

o

Aw, thanks Flag and Gibs. I'm just happy the fires are finished. I pray this never happens again. I barely slept from worry.

OK, I said I'd add an updated pic today so here it is:

Photobucket

I'm having my doubts about the sunflower plates I'm using. Looks awfully busy and there doesn't look to be enough contrast. My plate stash is pitiful so I may go shopping for colorful tiles that may help this bench to POP a bit.

Enjoy!
Cait

o

OHMYGOODNESS, CAIT!!!!! Out-of-sight-beautiful. I so love this bench - the shape, of course, is my favorite shape. LOVE ALL OF IT, but especially the front bottom section. I like the sunflower all over design. Not to busy for l'il busy bee me. I felt the same about lack of contrast on my outside sink pedestal, and decided to outline the ivy leaves in small black tiles, and it helped immensely. You could do the same w/your arches and around those wonderful paisley designs to make them stand out better. I don't envy you w/the positions you have to get into to work on this, but you're young, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt you as it would me. Beautiful project, CAIT. Glad you dodged the fire bullet.

o

Hey Cait, So glad you are safe from the fires. The volcano is reeking havoc here. But we're taking in stride. Go with the flow as it's said around here.
It snowed last night so that will help settle the ash. This could go on for months!!! I just hope it stops before summer so we can really enjoy the SUMMER! Sure looking forward to seeing that gorgeous bench. And your other works are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! later, Cathy

o

WOW! You have really done a wonderful job in just getting back to this. I too like the busy sunflower plates, looks just like the background on a couch. I am in love...I want to do one...thinking....thinking....about where I could put one...

o

OOOOOHHHHH I adore the sunflower plates! the whole thing is magical!

o

Cait, Thanks for the pics!! It is amazing!!! No it will be fine when it's grouted. It is not to busy!!! The grout will define it all!!! Oh what a wonderful piece of ART!!! Please post final pics. We will all be soooo disappointed if we do not get to see the fianl product!!!! Thanks, Cathy

o

Cait what a wonderful couch here. All the colors and designs are so rich. BEAUTEEEEEEFUL.

Kathy

o

Thanks guys!! Slow, I checked out your sink pedestal and will use the same idea. Thanks for that. I worked on the bench a bit today but mostly played around with tiles trying to get the design right. HAHA Here we have Slowmedown and I think I should be called Speedmeup!!! ROFL!!

o

Awesome! I just love this bench! I'm with everyone else. Think the sunflowers look fine.
Have a good one!
Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here