Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Beach Pebbles

Posted by african (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 2:54

I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles of all sizes. I want to cut through then with a diamond blade, to make discs, but because most of them are egg shaped, they are very difficult (and dangerous) to clamp effectively. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Beach Pebbles

Are you using a wetsaw? I'm thinking that you could make an adjustable box like jig that would rest on the tray and cradle the rock, then use a chunk of wood as a press to hold it down while you slide the saw. If using a dry blade on a hand held saw, it would be difficult to stabilize the rocks without the help of a partner

o

Are these smooth tumbled rocks (pebbles) or beach glass?

o

They are egg shaped natural stones. Mainly quartzite, hard shale and felspar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indirect Method

o

Thanks for the advice nicethyme, my mind was running along the lines of the box too - but not so sure about just pressing down with piece of wood. I've tried that kind of thing already , but with smallish oval pebbles about the size of a goose eg and smaller, it's damn dangerous, as these things slip around like mad. Clamping is difficult as you seem only seem to to pick up two points at a time and then it pivots and slips.
I thought of epoxying one end (sacrificial) to a square wooden block and then clamping the block and pebble together onto the cutting bench, so that it can't rotate or pivot, but I don't know if the epoxy glue would be strong enough. If it came loose, the saw would throw it out like a bullet.

What do you think?

Cape Town

o

I had some success with the epoxy - but it is rather messy and time consuming, so I'm still looking for a better method - any further suggestions.

Cape Town

o

First wrap the pebble completely with adhesive tape, to prevent shards flying, then use the same tape to splice a short piece of wood to either side of the pebble to make a sandwich. Then hold the entire sandwich firmly in a vice or clamp. You can then safely make a cut with diamond disk at least a centimetre or more deep. Then place your pebble sandwich onto a solid concrete base, propped between two bricks to hold the sandwich with the new cut uppermost. Put the cutting edge of a bolster (Bricklayers flat chisel) into to the cut you made and making sure that the chisel is held vertical, give it a very sharp tap. Be sure to wear safety glasses.

o

WOW! Thanks for the info Toby!

o
I don't have any advice but I sure hope you post pictures

(either before or after the cuts)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here