Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Butterfly GOG

Calamity_J
12 years ago

So a coworker came to me with a box of pcs that used to be a butterfly lamp(knowing that I dabble in stained glass...but unfortuneatly I am NOT a miracle worker!) She was told the sad news, that it was just not fixable, so she said she would lv it with me, since I thought maybe someday I would use it as a pattern to make my own lamp, and possibly her one also. I was sitting there in my Art Room one morning and hauled it out to take a look at it when it SCREAMED out "GOG"!!! I just happen to have nice old window handy....so am making a GOG for Her!!!! She does happen to like my Art so am excited to finish this and bring it to work to show around before she gets it.

I happen to have tried a big tube of silicone(the kind you use with a caulk gun, that is supposed to dry clear...hopefully...

Comments (23)

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Cheat cheat cheat !!! - you're half done already ! LOLL
    That's going to look great . The butterfly is really well made. Is your co worker ever going to be surprised !!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AAARG! I forgot...since I have never used this silicone...that Klinger has used it and she swore she wouldn't ever again cuz it takes soooo long to dry!!! Well I'm switching to my GE Marine silicone...it dries in 10 minutes!!!!! Now that's what I call Instant Gratification!!!!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Where do you purchase marine silicone? Don't remember seeing any at Wal-Mart or our local building supply store.
    Your friend is going to be sooooo excited! It truely is a beautiful butterfly and aren't you just soooo proud of yourself for thinking of the GOG!!! More pics soon please.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I buy the marine silicone at uckerfields and Home Hardware.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Wow, that is just beautiful!!! Your friend is very lucky and I'm sure she will love it.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm actually trying to bake it dry in the oven...now hubby is a psych nurse...he comes home last night and sees me putting this thing in the oven....he camly says...."You know I can have you committed for that?";-) Seriously!!! He said that!!! I mutter back: "Ya gotta sleep sometime...." heh heh! It is helping a bit but the problem is that it has vacuum sealed under the glass and is getting no air to dry, cuz all the stuff outside is nice and clear. So I will try the bake thing for a bit and if that doesn't do it, I will start poking holes in the silicone to get air in there.I'll use a tooth pick,or thin wire.

• emtnest
    12 years ago

Beautiful Jane! Question. Does the marine silicone dry clear? And, you like it better than GE Silicone 2? And, wonder if it is in the US as well.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OOps I meant Buckerfield's! I do not know if it is being sold in USA, It does dry clear and I love using it as it is so good doing 3d stuff too cuz it sticks so good...it is now like $5/4oz tube but it sure is nice to use...I poked holes around the butterfly and stuck it in the oven again, it seems to be working, I do put the rangehood on high while I do this...so I'm Not THAT crazy!!!heh heh! It's frustrating cuz I would be so much farther ahead if I had used the Marine silicone...I'm not good at this waiting thing. But I haven't decided how to do the background glass yet,have a great color picked out, but want to do it different than my same ol' way. So don't want to cut the glass yet.

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

It's gonna be beautiful!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

How beautiful. Love how you've curved the ends of each color - your pieces fit so beautifully together. Don't know why you don't use GE II.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So what shoulda been a 4-5 day project....and now that I finally have the silicone dry...well, still not a happy camper about the mess...I have been going at a nice pace with the marine silicone on the background! I'm thinking a dark blue paint on the frame....
    Getting there....

• kacram
    12 years ago

that is so beautiful! what a great job! I will be looking differently at broken lamps at garage sales from now on! lol

Marine silicone, just check a boating/marine supply place.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

What a perfect background color, JANE. Beautiful job.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes Beautiful!!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So am trying to get this done ASAP so I can get back to Texas Toby! I am not in love with this frame color but will see how I like it after this is grouted...I was wanting a cobalt blue paint color for the window frame...

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I agree - GEE - I'm disagreeble this morning.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I stayed up and was grouting this at 11 o'clock last nite!!! lol! It's sitting on the window ledge in this pic, and you can really see silicone that I used on the body!
    This is DONE! Now to move onto something else...hopefully I won't have as much trouble with the next one!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Wow, that is just gorgeous!!! I love it!!! What a great talent you have.

I know your co-worker will love it. Well done!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh how beautiful, CALAM. I'm puzzled - the background glass showed green in earlier photos, and here it looks clear. Must've been a very light green. Don't see the frame - what did you decide about it's color?

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup, a pale green, so when the sun shines thru...but I kinda wanted the butterfly to stand out...cuz thats the magic part...her old lamp! And I think the window frame is fine that color, ...it is what it is > finished!ha!

• fldirt
    12 years ago

OMG...that turned out beautiful!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a follow up. Gave the window to my coworker...she noticed as soon as she walked into work, said she really liked it...then realized it was her butterfly wings!!! The look on her face was priceless!!! I was still a bit worried she wouldn't like it but she Loved it!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Are you kidding - worried she wouldn't like it????? Uh huh!!!!!!!!!!!!