Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystal01_gw

Wine Bottles - What do YOU do with them?

crystal01
17 years ago

After entertaining fine company (8) for Easter dinner, I have a nice collection of 4 wine and 1 champagne bottle in the recycle bin that I know I don't want to throw out. DH said he saw "THAT LOOK" in my eyes when I was putting them in the recycle bin. LOL You know the look ladies! I have until Wednesday night to convince him that I CAN do something with them, that they wont just sit around in the garage occuping space. So let me have your ideas!

Comments (25)

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Bottle tree seeds!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle Tree at Holly hill

• maddielee
    17 years ago

Did you know that Africans that were brought to America as slaves created bottle trees to 'catch' the bad spirits?

I just recently learned this, and thought I'd pass the info on.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

In OzMosaics, Sandy Robertson gives a tutorial on how to cut and use bottles in mosaics. I'm away from home on a very slow computer, so can't take time to find it for you. Also, I've seen flower beds bordered w/the bottles. I'm sure if you Google "uses for", you can come up w/lots of ways to save them. DON'T TOSS.

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I only empty bottles - after that - they're someone else's project ! *evil grin*

• klinger
    17 years ago

One of the gals I know here on the Island breaks the bottles and then tumbles the glass to make it into "beach glass". Then of course mosaics with the beach glass,
    Cindy

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

I just used a wine bottle along with a flower pot saucer (with mosaics) and made it into a toadstool for the garden. You push the neck of the bottle into the ground and add the saucer on the top.

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

I've seen them on ebay and etsy.com, being fired and used flat as a cheese tray..
    could also use them for hanging ornament from trees..scare away birds or crows.

do a google search for fired wine bottles or
    kiln fired..or whatever it takes to see what's been done.

• phish_gw
    17 years ago

drill a hole in a wine bottle (that's the hard part, you need a special bit, a battery drill and run it under water while drilling), decorate however you want (paint, mosaic, stickers), get a key ring, put a ribbon around it, loop the ribbon around the bottle. put the nonburning end of incense in the ring, put incense upside down in bottle, watch the smoke come out and smell the incense. Search on "smoking incense bottle" on ebay and you'll probably see some.

• bamasusanna
    17 years ago

Oh Crafty..I really like the mosaic toadstool idea!
    Got any pictures?

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

I also break them and tumble into beach glass and... I just made a bottle tree too... "BIG" yellow, bottle tree! LOL

• crystal01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Phish! I image googled "smoking incense bottle" and found some interesting ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: This was an interesting idea.

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

bamasusanna - I have a photo on one of my personal webpages. I can't wait to get them out into the garden among all the plants as I know they will look lots better than they do in this photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden toadstools

• madhabitz
    17 years ago

I always wanted to build some walls out of bottles. Oh man, that would be so cool!

Bottle Wall #1
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• diytrying
    17 years ago

Check out page 24 of the AARP magazine if you get it. (I have to admit I do and that I really like it!)

• hrsg
    17 years ago

Oh! Madhabitz what an idea that gives me!

How about using a bottle cutter, and cutting off the bottoms to make a mosaic table with! That would be awesome!

Also if you have access to a kiln you can do warm glass slumps for cheese boards or spoon rests, etc.~: )

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I've seen them with the bottom cut off and a tealight inside and they hang on a hook like a patio light. Very cool! I want to break em and let the shards look like leaves and make a cement tree to adorn it, I will be dulling the edges of the broken glass then drilling a hole and adding wire so it can dangle...project # 948....

• crystal01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calamity - When NT and I visited the SG store they had some bottles with the bottom cut off, covered with a beaded cover and sitting on a mosaic plate with a tea light inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Wow, Ladies...soooo many great ideas! Now I'll have to start drinking more wine, oh darn!

• daisyme
    16 years ago

My all-time-favorite house gift is a wine bottle with a string of small white Christmas-type lights stuffed inside with the plug end outside the bottle. Then a couple of grape clusters are hung on the neck with rafia, ribbon or whatever. They made beautiful nightlights in a bathroom and are charming sitting most anywhere. I've also seen them with a colored light string and a Christmas theme on top (as opposed to a grape cluster). Also I saw one this week with a small hole drilled towards the bottom of the bottle where the lights were inserted so the plug-end was neatly down there.

• aeolianprocess
    16 years ago

daisyme....I have seen the type of decoration that you are talking about. The bottom back side of the bottle had a hole drilled in it and christmas lights were shoved inside. They also did a decoupage on the outside of the bottle. Neat concept. I need to drink enough bottles of wine to make that wall I want in downstairs bathroom!!!

• daisyme
    16 years ago

Can I help you with that wine? Tee Hee

• chrkirby
    11 years ago

The same thing the Chinese do with their bannana skins.......throw them away.

(just a joke) Recycle, Bust up for Mosaics, Line a wall or shelf outdoors and put vine cuttings in them (I use cobalt blue vodka bottles)

• kristinmd
    11 years ago

Post a message to your local freecycle.org club, saying you have free wine bottles. I'm sure you will have LOTS of local artists begging for them and willing to come over ASAP to pick them up. For those not familiar with freecycle, it's a bit like craigslist, but people list stuff they want to give away, or stuff they want... all with the idea of reducing waste (encouraging recycling). They have them in almost every area of every state in the US and a lot of artists use them for free materials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freecycle

• StevenKrauss
    11 years ago

Hmm. It's Good.

Here is a link that might be useful: UPrinting Coupon Code

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Gee - this is an old thread. Was browsing Flickr's Weird Gardens and found this just now. I ordered a case of blue wine bottles a yr./two ago - very reasonable - from a home wine making site on the net. I've also used them like in the site that follows.
    beer bottle art

Sponsored