Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Question on Thinset

becky_ia
14 years ago

I hope someone here can help me. I am working on a birdbath. This will have stained glass and mosaic tiles in it. I want it to be able to put water in it so not sure what to use for adhesive that will work. Thinking thinset but have never used it before. Can anyone give me any tips? Do you spread the thin set and then put the stained glass & tiles directly in the thin set? How thick do you make it? Do you then grout as usual?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate any suggestions.

Becky

Comments (5)

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I used thinset in my shower to lay the stained glass in there and it is holding up well but not sure how it will withstand the weather. Most people used GEII for outdoor application. But yes you would spread the thinset just like if you were tiling and lay the glass into it. I learned that with the glass you need to use a thinner layer than with tiles...otherwise you will end up with a mess and the glass won't lay flat. Make sure you seal it with tile sealer very well and reapply at least once a year.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So GEII will work in a birdbath? I have never used thin set before and I do want it to lay flat. I am just in a quandry as to what is the best way to go.

I am not so worried about the weather because I always bring my garden artwork projects indoors during the winter. But I am mostly concerned about using something that when immersed in water, will hold up. I don't want the stained glass or tiles to pop off after a year or two.

becky

• texaswild
    14 years ago

I used Mapei UltraFlex II for my outside projects - my little water feature sink - one example - holds water beautifully. I posted my Louisiana trip recently on the conversation side, in which I mentioned my bro's rooster I mosaiced a few years back. He lives on a fishing campsite, and was surrounded - at crest - w/five feet of water for nearly a month. The rooster was submerged all that time. When I took a brush and cholorox/soap/water to scrub it up, not one tile was lost. The tess was stained glass. I highly recommend Mapei mortar for any outside project that w/hold water.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I would use the thin set I use it all the time for out doors .I have a bird bath I did and I used ts.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so very much for the help. I have a bag of Mapei UltraFlex so will use it. Just wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do before I ruined it.

One other question. How thick should I spread it and after it dries, do you grout as usual?

Thanks again.

Becky

Sponsored