Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydropetunia

two projects with orange and black

hydropetunia
12 years ago

Hi guys.

Here are my last two projects. I posted the bee recently asking for grout advice.

The bee is the top to a little table. He is about 12" square. Originally it was going to be an outside table, but after investing all this time in it I can't expose it to the elements. But the primary reason I made the bee was to test my methods and materials before starting the tiger. That way if anything went wrong I'd only ruin a small project.

The tiger is about 38" tall. The picture is taken from the dedication page of one of the books. His hands are supposed to make a heart. I plan to insert a picture of me and my sweetheart there. I haven't figured out how to hang him yet, but it's going to have to be fail-safe as we can't have him falling! The picture is a little skewed because I had to hold the camera over my head to get it all in the frame.

The orange tiles are glass, I think all the rest are ceramic.

The base was 3/4" plywood for both, exterior grade for the bee. Tiger shape was cut out with a jigsaw.

The adhesive was silicone II.

Grout was laticrete gray. I think dark gray would have looked better. That's really the only regret I have.

So now I have a large container of tiles and 21 more pounds of grout to find something to do with.

HydroPetunia

Comments (8)

Sponsored