Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lambeaufan71

how hard for a non-drawer to mosaic?

lambeaufan71
15 years ago

I can't draw to save my life, and my previous mosaic attempts have been confined to geometric and abstract shapes. Now I've got a new project in mind and I'm wondering how to go about it. There's a band that I cherish, called the Avett Brothers, and in July they're releasing a new album. They recently left their small record label and signed with Columbia Records, and their upcoming album is being produced by Rick Rubin (BIG name in the music biz for those who are unfamiliar).

I've become somewhat acquainted with the band during the many times that I've caught them live. We're not golfing buddies or anything by any means, but they recognize me and call me by name and chat a bit when I get out to see them a few times per year.

The piece that I'm planning will consist of a theme from the cover art of their last small-label album entitled Emotionalism

combined with a theme based on the title of their next release called "I and Love and You". I'm not sure what it will be yet, but I'm thinking either an old barn with the phrase scrawled on the side, or maybe the phrase in clouds. I envision the bird clutching the heart and flowers sitting on a tree branch & looking towards the other portion of the piece. The one BIG hurdle is that I can't draw. Any suggestions on how to make this happen? Or is this a bit too ambitious for a non-drawer such as myself?

Comments (10)

• lambeaufan71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh yeah, check 'em out while you're at it! Myspace page below

Here is a link that might be useful: Avett Brothers on myspace

• shrty411
    15 years ago

I can barely draw stick people myself. The way I would approach it is to find all the elements I wanted in my piece in other pictures. You can use graphite paper, carbon paper or transfer paper ( found at Michaels and other hobby stores) and just trace the parts you want on to the substrate. You might want to perfect it first onto plain paper,then tranfer to the substrate when you have what you want. Or, make friends with someone who can draw :-)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I was going to say I can't draw either. I did a stepping stone with tinkerbell on it. All I did was enlarge to size I wanted and traced the pic onto the stone, painted and covered with tempered glass. Good luck.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I was gonna suggest the same thing that SHRTY wrote. Aren't we brilliant, SHRTY!!! LOL. I didn't think I could draw either, until I TRIED really hard several years ago when I copied a painting I have in my house. Another time, when I wanted to sketch out a painting, I made a graph and followed the instructions on how to draw w/graph paper. Google for instructions. Also, when you find your elements, and get them on your design, you'll be able to connect it w/your own version. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! BTW - Man, I LOVE the Avett's music. I see they'll be in Dallas in May - I might suggest to my DD that we go see them. I'm a country music fan to the heart, but do enjoy other music, and I REALLY like the Avett Bros. Thanks for that.

• lambeaufan71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I located some graphite paper at Hobby Lobby, and also grabbed some tracing paper to last me for a while.

slowmedown - That's really great that you've heard of and enjoy the Avetts. There is absolutely NOTHING else like them in the music world today. That Dallas show is one of their opening spots for Dave Matthews Band, so get ready to open your wallet! LOL
    That's a musical pairing that I'm not exactly in love with, by the way...

• texaswild
    15 years ago

No, I hadn't heard of them - I opened the site you posted, and was blown away w/the music played. Like them very much, but doubt I'll make it in May - too much going on here.

• lambeaufan71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ahhh I see, my mistake. But I'm really glad that you liked what you heard. They play Dallas at least once per year, usually at the Granada Theater when they're headlining. I would highly recommend checking them out, as the live setting is where they truly shine. They're just honest, clean-living, hard-working guys(150+ shows per yr for the past several yrs) doing what they love. As the parent of a 14 year-old daughter, I also appreciate the fact that I don't have to squirm or cover her ears during their songs, unlike most of the 'music' on popular radio these days. They're a little bit country, a little bit bluegrass/old-timey, a little bit rock & roll.

As a country music fan, tell me that this song below wouldn't be #1 with a bullet if, say, Rascal Flatts or someone covered it.

It's a music video that they shot from a couple years back. I dare you to listen to it and then try to get it out of your head! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: November Blue on youtube

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

Good call....Graphite paper, tracing paper, and/or transferring using a grid.

but I think you can learn to draw....that part worries me more, but then I'm a middle school art teacher. If you can write your name you can learn to draw! Get a copy of "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards and DO it. Its worth it.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I agree, BETTY - I bought that book years ago. I think ANYONE can draw, once one trys. LAMB, just think positively, and try something small at first. Everyone has a style - yours w/be unique.

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

Oh yes tracing paper is a must. that is what i use and i can't draw either. And never heard of the band and they from a town next to us.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County