Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klinger_gw

bathroom backsplash/mirror surround

klinger
15 years ago

I've been working on this project this week. I used stained glass in black, white, black/white swirls, pebbles, mirror,glass globs. I've mounted it all on a thin backerboard and adhered it around my main bathroom mirror. My main bath is all taupe colors with black and white accents so it goes well with them. I'm also going to do another project with the same materials to hang on the wall in there. A coworker lent me his scroll saw , so I just need to think of a great shape and get at it.I'll try and grout on my next days off at the end of this week. I'm thinking a grey grout, also thought of charcoal, white, and taupe. I have such a hard time to decide the grout color for all my projects it seems.

Any how here's my wip so far.

Cindy

Comments (27)

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh...you have been a busy girl this week as well!!! that is stunning and beautiful!!!I love the variation of textures. I love black grout, but not sure if the black tiles would stand out or not...maybe taupe would look great...

• daisyme
    15 years ago

OMG, Klinger. That is gorgeous! You have an incredible eye. But then, I love everything you do. I was delighted to meet and share time with you, Slo and Calamity in Mexico. What great timing that we could all get together like that. And now you're back making beautiful art. What a great addition to your new house!

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Klinger it is fantastic!! I absolutely love it!!! WOW!!!
    Yeah I always have a problem deciding grout color too. But I too think taupe would be good for this one!! Can't wait to see it finished!! Cathy

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

I vote for 'camel'......

that is one fantastic wall...it's bold and daring and I love it!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Dang girl, this is absolutely stunning. I had to pick my eyes up off the puter desk. A double wow. LOve the colors.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Hangin' up my tools, giving away my stash and finding another hobby! I'm w/STRAWBERRY - camel grout.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

SUPER! BEAUTIFUL! and so appropriate. You did a super job on this and I just love it. I can't bring myself to see the camel grout, but then, I like white, charcoal or black. But who knows? Camel might be just perfect

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

My vote is charcoal grout!!!! Oh Man...I can hardly wait to see this in person...I'll be running back and forth from the kitchen to the bathroom looking at all this gorgeous stuff!ha!

Here is a link that might be useful: Klinger's Eye Candy

• shrty411
    15 years ago

What a great idea to fancy up a plain mirror. It's wonderful!!

I have grout anxiety, so I'm no help!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Like every one says that looks great!

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

HOLY COW!!!!! That is gorgeous! you are a machine! Like that pink bunny....

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I'm thinking this is just the inspiration I was looking for that w/make me paint/mosaic the outside of my front door. CINDY: This is truly beautiful.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

whoa... Klinger! OMG thats AWESOME!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow! This is FANTASTIC!!! I lOVE all the different tess and your design is awesome! My bathroom mirror just looks naked now!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Holy Cow! that is soooo gorgeous! I really, really love the colors. Love the touches you are putting into your new home!

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I so waffled on the grout color, Strawberries suggestion of camel really appealed to me. I would stay in the same tones as everything else in the bath, yet be neutral enough to show the light and dark pieces. I ended up looking in my stash and having some sahara grout. I'd originally bought it to do the kitchen backsplash, then second thought that and ended up doing charcoal. Now that I've seen this though I really like it and it would have been a really good choice for the kitchen.The camera is washing it out a bit but I'm pleased with how it ended up. Added a lot of pizzazz into that bath.
    Cindy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

It's a knockout, and I think the grout color is perfect. Great goin', gal.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Turned out PERFECT Klinger. It's not taking you long to perty up your house since you moved in has it girlie?? It's just beautiful, would love to do that in our one bathroom. Did you work on this while it was on the wall?? If so, how the heck did you?? LOL

Great job, and I loved you eye candy sight Calamity showed us

What's next??

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

LOOKS AWESOME!!! Love that grout color...I may have to rethink my alsways dark grout now!!!hahaha!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

I TOTALLY BOW TO YOU! all Hail Cindy!!!!!! thats so GORGEOUS!

• klinger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you all like it, I think the grout color turned out fine. I used thin boards, mosaiced them and then adhered them to the wall. Then grouted them on the wall.
    Cindy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Now THAT's what I had envisioned - a nice tan grout, cuz when I saw the first pictures, it appeared to have a tan background. Absolutely wonderful. That must make you smile every time you walk in there, CINDY. You did a fabulous job.

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

What a snappy job. Excellent use of color and combo of various materials. Definitely shows your sense of style and color. Your grout choice is perfect!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Well that color grout just make those tiles pop!!! It's beautiful!!!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That turned out so cool !!! I so want to do one of those.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

It turned out so beautiful! The grout looks perfect!

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I would never have thought of camel in a million years, it really is perfect. Those passages of black and white checks among all the craziness unifies the whole thing too - it looks like a million bucks. how nice to have a reason to smile when you look in the bathroom mirror first thing in the morning!!!!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals