Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinatreasures

Starry Starry Night GOG Window

chinatreasures
12 years ago

Here's the window, glass and pattern for the GOG.

And here's the progress I made today (it took a little time trying to find that snake that slithered in my work area - never found him and was a little jumpy all day!!)

Comments (41)

• fldirt
    12 years ago

Looking good! Thanks for sharing.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh, those teensy details to follow. This one w/be insteresting to watch.

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

gonna be another wonderful piece!!!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I love the flow .... can't wait to see it done :)

• ItsmeChickadee
    12 years ago

It looks good! You and I are inspired by the same painting. I'm working on a piece right now that's ridiculously hard and fussy that I'm calling "Reach for the Stars". It's a mosaiced hand that's a bit influenced by Van Gogh. I'll try to post some photos later.
    Becky

• mattie_2008
    12 years ago

Excellent! Very nice and will look forward to more pics.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

What a great start!!! Thanks for sharing the work in progress pics, I recently looked thru CanadianSquirrelly's album and she has a cobalt GOG that is making me wanna do a GOG soon!

• emtnest
    12 years ago

That's going to be so beautiful!!! Let's see more!!!

• Bon22
    12 years ago

What adhesive did you end up using? and do you like it?

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

More pictures!

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So sorry I haven't posted an update. I'm using Maryland Mosaic's glue. I finished the bottom half last night and took the paper pattern off. Here's a picture of the entire window and a few close ups:

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! Amazing! So Dark and Mysterious!!! Good Job! Can't wait to see the upper panels done...ohhh this is Good!

• ItsmeChickadee
    12 years ago

Way cool. I love doing GOG. Can't wait to see the top part too.
    Chickadee

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I'm absolutely blown away w/this. It's outstandingly GORGEOUS. Man, are you talented. Like the above mentioned I anxiously await the work on the upper part - Vincent's swirls. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I can't WAIT to see how you do those. Such beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes yes yes to what every one said!!!!

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! I'll keep y'all posted with updates.

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

Absolutey STUNNING China!!!!! WOOOOOWWWWOOOOOWW!!!!! Love it!!

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

Vincent would be so proud.
    Are you cutting each little piece with a hand cutter?

• fldirt
    12 years ago

That is amazing! Can't wait for more pictures.

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all. Thank you. Not much progress since we had to go out of town the past 2 weekends. Hopefully I'll get a lot more done this week.

Yes, ernie85017, each piece is cut by hand. I score about four to six 1/4" strips from a sheet of glass and snap those strips as a whole from the sheet. Then I score the strips about 3/4" apart. After that, I just use my running pliers to snap all the pieces apart. It's amazingly quick!

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Updated photo. Not happy with the moon and surrounding yellow. Do y'all think after I grout in dark gray/black there will be more contrast?

• silvamae
    11 years ago

So far the upper right panel is my favorite! Can't wait to see the final result!

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally glued the last piece on and will be ready for grout this weekend.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Absolutely outstanding. I don't know how you do this kind of beautiful work. LOVE the church. It's beautiful just as it is - can't tell it isn't grouted. Vincent w/be pround

• igmommy
    11 years ago

OMG...that is beautiful! I have an old chippy window waiting. Never thought to draw on paper and put it behind. What a great idea!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WhooHoo...you are on the home stretch!!! Good job! Such nice colors!!!I just love that church!

• loribee2
    11 years ago

WOW that's ended up amazing! Beautiful work!

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally finished! These are so hard to photograph! I didn't like the original moon so I replaced it with a yellow for more contrast - much happier with it. The frame is actually white and I decided to leave it "shabby". I must say I'm pretty pleased since this is my first GOG (but not first mosaic) and I'll definitely be doing more.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Absolutely magnificent. Professional mosaic work, and I love the whole design. I know you must be very proud of this wonderful work of art. Can't believe it's your first GOG - what a beautiful job you did.

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! So much detail, what an amazing amount of patience you have. It really looks lovely with the light shining through it like that!

• emtnest
    11 years ago

Beautiful Chinatreasures!!! It really flows!

• bettycbowen
    11 years ago

This is very beautiful and so well done. I agree the new moon is best. Congratulations.

My middle school art students have a hard time "reading" the big tree in the foreground of this painting as a tree without prompting. There is often somebody who thinks it is a monster going down to eat people in the village. (we don't have elementary level art obviously)

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I was really stumped when I started this as I wasn't sure how to do the bushes on the right side. Someone here did a little tutorial on their blog showing how to make the curved pieces (she used them for fur on animal portraits) and they were perfect for the bushes and rolling hills. I wish I could remember who to credit with that tutorial. Does anyone know who that is?

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Could it have been EMPTNEST? She did several GOGs on windows. I'm still in awe on this project. The andamento is really important in this piece, and yours is perfect.

• SadieSadie
    11 years ago

AMAZING!! Just gorgeous!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

Simply amazingly gorgeous!!!

What a wonderful piece of work!! Hard to believe it's your first GOG.

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

Beautiful window!

Cacbeary did a tutorial on her blog showing how she cut her glass using wheeled nippers for her lion. Took a while to find it but here it is. You need to scroll down to the bottom to see her technique

http://themosaicobsession.blogspot.com/search/label/Wheeled%20nippers

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

I can't believe I haven't commented...musta been one of those times that the forum was acting funny and not letting me post....ever get that? Anyhoo, LOVE this! I just love GOG and this one is super!!! Looks so good all grouted. I am such a fan of the grouting GOG! I am helping a freind make his first GOG, it is gonna be a enneagram. He has this awesome round frame! I look forward to seeing another GOG from you!

• nancita
    11 years ago

Well, I am speechless at the beauty of your work. I only wandered over to this forum to see about either purchasing a stained glass for apstairs window and/or to get advice about doing so. What a beautiful surprise.
    We were in Belgium last summer and went to see Van Gogh's work, but not Starry Night, my favorite.

• pjaxson
    11 years ago

I'm so jealous! I will be willing to pay a lot for that ;)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone