Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starry Starry Night GOG Window

Posted by chinatreasures (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 22:41

Here's the window, glass and pattern for the GOG.

Starry Night1

And here's the progress I made today (it took a little time trying to find that snake that slithered in my work area - never found him and was a little jumpy all day!!)

Starry Starry Night Starry Starry Night - Day 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starry Starry Night GOG Window

Looking good! Thanks for sharing.

o

Oh, those teensy details to follow. This one w/be insteresting to watch.

o

gonna be another wonderful piece!!!

o

I love the flow .... can't wait to see it done :)

o

It looks good! You and I are inspired by the same painting. I'm working on a piece right now that's ridiculously hard and fussy that I'm calling "Reach for the Stars". It's a mosaiced hand that's a bit influenced by Van Gogh. I'll try to post some photos later.
Becky

o

Excellent! Very nice and will look forward to more pics.

o

What a great start!!! Thanks for sharing the work in progress pics, I recently looked thru CanadianSquirrelly's album and she has a cobalt GOG that is making me wanna do a GOG soon!

o

That's going to be so beautiful!!! Let's see more!!!

o

What adhesive did you end up using? and do you like it?

o

More pictures!

o

So sorry I haven't posted an update. I'm using Maryland Mosaic's glue. I finished the bottom half last night and took the paper pattern off. Here's a picture of the entire window and a few close ups:

Starry Night update 4-29-12

o

GORGEOUS!!!!

o

WOW! Amazing! So Dark and Mysterious!!! Good Job! Can't wait to see the upper panels done...ohhh this is Good!

o

Way cool. I love doing GOG. Can't wait to see the top part too.
Chickadee

o

I'm absolutely blown away w/this. It's outstandingly GORGEOUS. Man, are you talented. Like the above mentioned I anxiously await the work on the upper part - Vincent's swirls. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I can't WAIT to see how you do those. Such beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Yes yes yes to what every one said!!!!

o

Thank you everyone! I'll keep y'all posted with updates.

o

Absolutey STUNNING China!!!!! WOOOOOWWWWOOOOOWW!!!!! Love it!!

o

Vincent would be so proud.
Are you cutting each little piece with a hand cutter?

o

That is amazing! Can't wait for more pictures.

o

Hi all. Thank you. Not much progress since we had to go out of town the past 2 weekends. Hopefully I'll get a lot more done this week.

Yes, ernie85017, each piece is cut by hand. I score about four to six 1/4" strips from a sheet of glass and snap those strips as a whole from the sheet. Then I score the strips about 3/4" apart. After that, I just use my running pliers to snap all the pieces apart. It's amazingly quick!

o
RE: Starry Night GOG Window

Updated photo. Not happy with the moon and surrounding yellow. Do y'all think after I grout in dark gray/black there will be more contrast?
Starry Night

Starry Night

o

So far the upper right panel is my favorite! Can't wait to see the final result!

o
RE: Starry Night GOG Window - Ready to Grout

I finally glued the last piece on and will be ready for grout this weekend.

Starry Night

o

Absolutely outstanding. I don't know how you do this kind of beautiful work. LOVE the church. It's beautiful just as it is - can't tell it isn't grouted. Vincent w/be pround

o

OMG...that is beautiful! I have an old chippy window waiting. Never thought to draw on paper and put it behind. What a great idea!

o

WhooHoo...you are on the home stretch!!! Good job! Such nice colors!!!I just love that church!

o

WOW that's ended up amazing! Beautiful work!

o

Finally finished! These are so hard to photograph! I didn't like the original moon so I replaced it with a yellow for more contrast - much happier with it. The frame is actually white and I decided to leave it "shabby". I must say I'm pretty pleased since this is my first GOG (but not first mosaic) and I'll definitely be doing more.

Starry Night

o

Absolutely magnificent. Professional mosaic work, and I love the whole design. I know you must be very proud of this wonderful work of art. Can't believe it's your first GOG - what a beautiful job you did.

o

Gorgeous! So much detail, what an amazing amount of patience you have. It really looks lovely with the light shining through it like that!

o

Beautiful Chinatreasures!!! It really flows!

o

This is very beautiful and so well done. I agree the new moon is best. Congratulations.

My middle school art students have a hard time "reading" the big tree in the foreground of this painting as a tree without prompting. There is often somebody who thinks it is a monster going down to eat people in the village. (we don't have elementary level art obviously)

o

Thank you everyone! I was really stumped when I started this as I wasn't sure how to do the bushes on the right side. Someone here did a little tutorial on their blog showing how to make the curved pieces (she used them for fur on animal portraits) and they were perfect for the bushes and rolling hills. I wish I could remember who to credit with that tutorial. Does anyone know who that is?

o

Could it have been EMPTNEST? She did several GOGs on windows. I'm still in awe on this project. The andamento is really important in this piece, and yours is perfect.

o

AMAZING!! Just gorgeous!

o

Simply amazingly gorgeous!!!

What a wonderful piece of work!! Hard to believe it's your first GOG.

o

Beautiful window!

Cacbeary did a tutorial on her blog showing how she cut her glass using wheeled nippers for her lion. Took a while to find it but here it is. You need to scroll down to the bottom to see her technique

http://themosaicobsession.blogspot.com/search/label/Wheeled nippers

o

I can't believe I haven't commented...musta been one of those times that the forum was acting funny and not letting me post....ever get that? Anyhoo, LOVE this! I just love GOG and this one is super!!! Looks so good all grouted. I am such a fan of the grouting GOG! I am helping a freind make his first GOG, it is gonna be a enneagram. He has this awesome round frame! I look forward to seeing another GOG from you!

o

Well, I am speechless at the beauty of your work. I only wandered over to this forum to see about either purchasing a stained glass for apstairs window and/or to get advice about doing so. What a beautiful surprise.
We were in Belgium last summer and went to see Van Gogh's work, but not Starry Night, my favorite.

o

I'm so jealous! I will be willing to pay a lot for that ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here