Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Envirotex resin

Posted by CindyWe (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:09

I poured this resin on my outdoor mosaic table and now I see that it is not recommended for outdoor use. I wonder why, will it crack from sun exposure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Envirotex resin

A table finished with Envirotex resin that we left outside (on a covered deck) cracked and fell to pieces.

o

Thank you, wish I hadn't added the resin. Husband didn't like the uneven surface. I like the look but afraid I ruined it. Attaching photo.

o

Photo

o

What was the substrate base? If it was wood, that may have caused the cracking instead of the resin. From what I know of the resin the reason it is not recommended for outdoor use is that it yellows with uv exposure. Some one else may know different and chime in.
I do know that wood however well sealed and treated may cause a mosaic work to crack and come off. Its a crap shoot, but eventually it all fails because the wood warps and bends in response to atmospheric changes even if not directly exposed to the elements.

o
RE: Envirotex resin, my mosaic outdoor table

My mosaic is not on wood, maybe it will just yellow, I hope it doesn't get sticky. Sure wish I had read the directions a little more closely.

o

It's an adorable table, though!

o

It IS a very nice mosaic. Glad to know it's not on wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here